BOS - October 4, 2005

Moderators: Suzanne Kane, Jane Alger

BOS - October 4, 2005

Postby Suzanne Kane » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:46 am

Board of Selectmen
Agenda
October 4, 2005



6:30 pm
Informational Workshop

7:00 pm
1. Call to Order

2. Chairman’s Announcements

3. Citizen’s Forum

7:15 pm
4. Library Trustees

7:45 pm
5. TIF’s – Marty Green (B & L Pools and Danlyn Realty)

6. Conservation Commission Alternate Appointment

7. STM Warrant Articles

8. Select BOS rep. for School Superintendent Search Committee

9. Minutes: September 6, 2005 regular and executive session

10. Old / New Business

11. Administrators Report

12. Adjournment
____________________________________________________________
Future Agenda Items:
Oct. 11th: Tentative Meeting w/School Committee and Finance Committee
Oct. 18th: 7:05 pm STM w/Jerome Jussaume and Christine Furno
7:15 pm STM w/Michael Daley
7:30 pm Emergency Mgmt. w/Ernie Marks
Approve Goals
Appoint Constable
TBD: Audit w/School Committee
_____________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________
Douglas Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
October 4, 2005
Approved January, 3, 2006

• Informational Workshop:

Madam Chair Shirley Mosczynski called the workshop meeting to order at 6:34 pm in the Selectmens’ Office at the Municipal Center.
In attendance: Paula Brouillette-Vice Chair, Edward Therrien, Richard E. Preston, David Furno, Executive Administrator Michael Guzinski and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane.
Tribune reporter-Tom Mattson.

Mike Guzinski discussed the following at the workshop:
~ Charter Information
~ Telephone Problems from a resident
~ Town Accountant Search
~ Special Town Meeting Warrant
~ TIF (Tax Increment Financing) Articles
~ Revenue Situation
~ Rep. Kujawski-Capital Project Bill
~ Tax Classification Hearing-November 15, 2005
Informational Workshop meeting ended at 6:50 pm.

The Board of Selectmen moved their meeting into the Resource Room.

1. Call to Order:
Madam Chair Shirley Mosczynski called the meeting to order.
In attendance: Paula Brouillette-Vice Chair, Edward Therrien, Richard E. Preston, David Furno, Executive Administrator Michael Guzinski and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane.
Others present: Library Trustees:Ellie Chesebrough-Chair, Ramona Lachapelle-Treasurer and Library Building Committee member, Barbara Gjeltema-Secretary, Anne Hackett Devlin, Library Director-Ann Carlsson, Library Building Committee:Merritt “Pete” Tetreault-Chair and Virginia Howe, Planning Board-Daniel Heney, Capital Improvement Committee:Mitch Cohen-Chair. Others:Marty Green, Paul Laverdiere, Brandi Van Roo and Tribune reporter-Tom Mattson.

2. Chairman’s Announcements:
~Shirley thanked the Octoberfest Committee (Festival Committee) for their work throughout the year to make this a success-Tony and Mary St. Pierre-Co-Chairs, JoAnn Griffin, David St. George, Natalie and John Snay and David Branagan.
~Thursday, November 3rd, from 6:00-9:00 pm-awards presentation-Spirit of Slater Mill. Honoree is David McCauley-internationally renown author and illustrator. Shirley has the invitation for any Board member wanting more information on the reception.
~Resignation-dated September 8, 2005 effective immediately to Town Clerk-Christine Furno from Michael V. MacInnis as Constable. Shirley thanked him for his service. The position is on cable, the website and applications from the website bulletin board. Voting on this position-October 18, 2005-for anyone interested.

3. Citizen’s Forum: No one came forward.

Agenda Items taken in the following order:
9. Minutes:

~ September 6, 2005-Regular Session:Paula Brouillette made a motion to approve the minutes. Seconded-Dave Furno. All-aye.
~ September 6, 2005-Executive Session:Rich Preston made a motion to approve the minutes as amended and release. Seconded-Paula Brouillette. All-aye.

8. Board of Selectmen representative for School Superintendent Search Committee:Shirley received a letter from the Interim School Superintendent (Robert Melican) with this request. Mike will send a letter to Mr. Melican to inform him Paula volunteered to be on this committee.

4. Library Trustees, Building Committee and Director:Shirley thanked those for attending. Rich talked to them previously and thanked them for attending. He read the memo he sent to the Board of Selectmen June 25, 2005-Proposal-to discuss and explore the possibility, the appropriateness of the use with the Library Trustees and Building Committee-The Old Elementary School be renovated and retrofitted as a mix use Municipal Center including a Library Annex, community meeting rooms and additional office space. Two discussions-the first with the Library group and the second with the Town Administrator and Board as far as Municipal space. Rich showed and discussed parcel maps of various Town buildings and property. Ellie Chesebrough stated-no need for a library annex nor having the Old Elementary School as a childrens’ library-no sense separating that with the adults, maybe shared parking with the Credit Union behind existing library and no longer a need for the building committee.
Discussion:
-Space (use of Old Elementary School) and access to the building. Mr. Farley (architect involved in proposals) suggested the space upstairs be used as a quiet reading room.
-“Pete”- brought up the following: 1. Resubmit the grant to the State Board of Library Commissioners, 2. Use the existing library (4000 sq. ft.), upgrade interior and at the same time bring in ADA(American Disabilities Act)requirements, 3. Add on to existing library with smaller square footage-presented to the Board approximately two years ago, 4. Consider using the Old Grammar School, 5. Put an addition on the new High School and have one library for the school and one for the townspeople or use the library at the school for both.
-Discussion-Dave and “Pete”-feasibility of piece mealing and monies for projects.
-Discussion-Rich and “Pete”- ADA requirements will bring the project to the max financially.
Grants, getting the word out to the Town to support the process, open house, moving from one facility and utilizing the old one, have a study done on municipal buildings.
Closing comments from Rich-(his project) Thanked the Library Trustees, Director, Building Committee for their indulgence, time, attention for considering this option and meeting with the Board, wished them luck and update the Board on future plans. Shirley thanked all for coming. Ellie handed out a “Friends of the Library” brochure to help support the library.

6. Conservation Commission Alternate Appointment:Letter of recommendation from the Commission to support the appointment of Brandi Van Roo resident of 54 Old Farm Road. An Assistant Professor at Framingham State College where she teaches college courses at all levels of Biology:Introductory Biology, Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Ornithology and thought she could lend her experience to the Committee.
Motion-Ed Therrien made a motion to make her an associate member. Seconded-Paula Brouillette. All-aye.
Shirley congratulated and thanked her for coming forward to serve on this Board.

5. TIF’s-Marty Green-Dan Heney-Paul Lavediere (B & L Pools and Danlyn Realty):Mike met with Mr. Green and clients regarding the possibility of establishing some TIF’s. Here to ask the Board the possibility of placing three articles on the fall special town meeting warrant.
Shirley requested Marty give the Board some background. Dan owns property located on Riedell Road, appropriately zoned for industrial new development, and to move his business here from Uxbridge. The Town would be looking at about $60,000 dollars in new tax revenue. Dan stated he and Paul now pay excise taxes to the Town of Uxbridge that would go to the Town of Douglas in the future.
Discussion followed:
No questions from the Board. Shirley informed all that the Board would discuss this further and if passes at Town Meeting gives the Board the right to negotiate in regards to the TIF,s. As far as timeframe-once voted at Town Meeting the Board will look at the figures and decide. Paula commented that the copies the Board has-two out of the three have different percentages. Mike explained there is no set policy in the Town on TIF’s (all agreed the need for policy consistency with TIF’s) and would be up to the discretion of the Board. If hesitant and the Board does not want to vote on it tonight, once given the authorization to negotiate, the Board in good faith within a reasonable amount of time will negotiate. Paula stated the process is to have an equitable agreement.

7. STM Warrant Articles:15 scheduled for November 7, 2005. Warrant for the STM is closed today and the Board is scheduled to sign the Warrant next Tuesday evening (October 11, 2005) no more articles can be accepted, although the Board has the option to alter or remove any if they choose. Mike received an email from Capital Committee Chair-Mitch Cohen requesting to combine some of their Articles-as identified below.
Brief discussion and answers to any questions-if any-of the Articles to follow:
~Article 1-Replacement of Oil Tank at Intermediate Elementary School:• Capital Item
Mike spoke to Interim Accountant-will recommend funds from Overlay Surplus Account. Prior years’ bill will require 9/10ths vote and is recommended by the Committee. The Superintendent applied for a grant from the state.
~Article 2-Acceptance of M.G.L. Ch.71 Section 71E:
Revolving Fund by certain programs. Interim Accountant identified as needing formal vote to insure properly codified and DOR regulations. Recommend the School Committee vote to approve which they have done and accepted the Article for approval at Town Meeting.
~Article 3-FY06 School Operating Budget:
Recommended funds taken from Stabilization Fund. No other funding sources available.
Paula questioned funding for FY07? Mike explained that after review there is no need to take monies out of Stabilization Fund for any Capital items.
~Article 4-Construction Administration-Route 16 Reconstruction Project: • Capital Item
Have approximately $30,000 left from revenue estimate. This is for GPI (Greenman, Pedersen, Inc) to oversee this project-if any change orders. It is in the best interest of the community. Mitch stated that we own the road-do it right. There is additional design work for the sidewalks.
~Article 5-Drainage Improvements:Made up of 5 associated highway projects.
Recommend funding from Surplus Account. Capital did not recommend this Article at their last meeting. Mike answered Paula’s question-“yes” these projects can be funded through Chapter ‘90 Funds. Mitch explained to the Board that was a unanimous feeling of the Committee that it is not really a Capital Project. Large roadway projects have never fallen under this Committee.
Discussion-qualifications of a Capital Project and funding.
~Article 6-Designation of Economic Opportunity Area:Proposed with Articles #7 & 8 as they
are related. Mike sent them to Town Counsel for review and is to get feed back from them by Thursday. Criteria is set by the State.
~Article 7-Tax Incremental Financing Plan-B&L Pools:
~Article 8-Tax Incremental Financing Plan-Danlyn Realty:
~Article 9-Self Evaluation & Transition Plan:• Capital Item
Recommended funding-Overlay Surplus. Every government entity in the U. S. provided to have a self-evaluation and transition plan to make every facility in that jurisdiction in compliance with all the regulations in the ADA. Just received a grant for the ladder truck. They’ll be back to do a self evaluation and will work with us through the transition. Verbal quotes of $20,000 range so continue to get grants.
~Article 10-Community Bulletin Board:
Tried to advertise events going on in the community several times. Investigating several sites that would get a lot of visibility. Mike informed the board that as far as design so far, the bulletin board would either be a 6x6 or 7x7 and glassed in sign.
~Article 11-Secetmen’s Office-Wages:
Budgetary oversight in the spring.
~Article 12-Unemployment Expenses:
Government surplus-the school laid off several employees after last spring’s Town meeting. Really do not have an option. If this Article were to fail the state would pay the bill and take it off state aid for next year.
~Article 13-Interim Town Accountant:
Transfer money to pay FAA (Financial Advisory Associates) for the services currently providing the Town as the Town Accountant.
~Article 14-Sign By-Law Changes:
Basically 4 changes that Mike discussed. Issues that had previously gone through Adelle- Building Commissioner and then through the Board. Because of some issues Rich recommended checking with her for any corrections before closing the Warrant next Tuesday.
~Article 15-Personnel By-Law:MIke told the Board it is exactly the way it is presented.
Warrant to be signed next Tuesday at the Board’s workshop meeting.
Meeting with School Committee and Finance Committee members in regard to their requests before the Warrant is signed.
Paula brought up the issue of benefits-as far as the School-not being in the Warrant.
Motion-Paula Brouillette-“I move that we close the Warrant for the Special Town Meeting to be held on November 7th, 2005.” Seconded-Dave Furno. All-aye.
Shirley reminded all of the opportunity to make changes as a Board.
Old Business:
Library Trustees-Rich wanted to follow up to their earlier discussion. Part two of the discussion was having assessed where they are, where the Board is in their need and decision making on the use of that building. Possibility of developing a policy regarding vacating Municipal buildings. Further down the road discuss where the funding would come from.
Old Elementary School-Paula reinforced it’s use, the funding and how to move forward. On future agenda-November 1st.
Permanent Building Committee-Paula has talked to one member who initially agreed to work with the group identified so far and feels they are in a position to move ahead with the definition of a Permanent Building Committee. Mike and Bill Cundiff(Town Engineer) -Town Hall representatives, Tom Decoteaux-the individual Paula has talked with who is willing to start the process with them, one other person she has not spoken to yet, and Steve Carroll-School Building Committee.
New Business:
Corridor Keepers-Paula updated all of The John H. Chaffee Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor Commission-this is where the Legislation is going to sunset in November of ’06. It has benefited the Jenks Store, a lot of river clean up, historic preservation and spurred by federal funding which the commission is able to get for them.
Now working on advocacy and education and why the reauthorization is so important. One of the outreach activities they’re working on is meeting with each Board of Selectmen from twenty-four towns and cities in the heritage corridor from Worcester to Providence. She asked this be put on a future agenda for one of the Corridor Keepers to update the Board of the status and get the Boards of Selectmen to support a resolution in support of the Heritage Corridor and the continuation of the Commission. Paula to inform them-October 18th at 7:45.

12. Adjournment:
Dave Furno made a motion to adjourn at 9:25 pm. Seconded: Rich Preston. All-aye.


Respectfully submitted;

Jane L. Brule
Administrative Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2005 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron