4. Emergency Mgmt. – Ernie Marks

5. Review and Approve TIF’s

6. Town Use, Girl Scouts – Senior Center

7. Minutes: May 3, 2005

8. Administrators Report

9. Old / New Business

10. Executive Session – Collective Bargaining

11. Adjournment
Nov. 7th: STM - 6:30 BOS meeting prior to STM.
Nov. 15th: 7:15 pm – Tax Classification
Old Elementary, Plan to Vacate Bldg., Funding for Plan, and Proposed use
Dec. 6th: Liquor License Renewals
Dec. 20th: All other License Renewals
TBD: Audit w/School
November 1, 2005
Approved February 21, 2006

• Town Accountant Interviews:

Madam Chair Shirley Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 5:24 pm in the Selectmens Office at the Municipal Center.
In attendance: Paula Brouillette-Vice Chair, Richard E. Preston, Executive Administrator Michael Guzinski and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane.
Tribune reporter-Gus Steevs. Absent: Edward Therrien and David Furno

Handouts given-Mike gave introductions to the Board and explained the interviewing process.
5:24 pm-Jeanne Lovett-Shirley welcomed Jeanne and asked her if there were anything she’d like to say or ask the Board before they questioned her.
She expressed her excitement of being here and enjoyed her time of working here in the past. Difficult decision between the two towns. Compliment being asked to come back to Douglas.
Rich-Why are you seeking this position? “I feel I have a tie with Douglas and a commitment to both Douglas and Uxbridge. Uxbridge is getting more political and rearranging their financial structure in the future, creating a financial department with a Financial Director and working with a larger department. They have a financial team. Most discussions are with the Town Manager, herself and the Financial Director.”
Shirley-What interests you most about this position? “I like my job and position of Town Accountant. I consider it a resource department, a challenge, hands on, and interact with all departments. People change but the position doesn’t. “
What it your method or mannerism of dealing with difficult co-workers? “No difficult co-workers!”
How do you deal with conflict? “I use my sense of humor. If there is conflict and you deal with people honestly they know what’s expected of me and I know what’s expected of them, we work together. They don’t always like the answers they seek. I think they respect the fact that I’m looking out for their best interest. My philosophy is if I find something before it goes out the door (the building) we’re a team, we work together I don’t go and share it with other department heads, I consider it confidentiality in a public sector.”
Paula-Wlhat do you think is the quality or qualities that have made you successful in your current position? “My personality is probably one of them. Being willing to work with and help people, not do the “I told you so”. I’m a hard worker, I like to have fun but I need to get the job done, things have to balance, need communication. I’m a team player I don’t like to step on people’s toes; I don’t like to step above someone to get to a different level.”
Rich-I noticed you minored in psychology. Does that come in handy with counseling with Selectmen? Does it work? “Yes it does”!
Shirley-Do you have any problems attending evenings meetings? Sometime we have evening budget meetings with the Fincom and asked previous Accountant to attend, you don’t have to attend every one. “That’s something I’m willing to discuss. It’s always a balance for me. I never want to leave a department or committee hanging where they don’t feel like they have me as a resource. I would rather have someone come to me and get information before the meeting so they have time to digest it and ask questions. I like to put together tools that will help them, so it’s not a surprise when you get there. I am definitely open and I know there are certain meetings you have to attend and am willing to do that.”
Rich-Where do you see yourself in five or ten years? Do you see yourself staying in this field? “I like my job. I feel like in five years I want to have made a difference in the community. I want to be part of the Town and school coming together. I’m local, not looking to take this and go some place else. Some day the Town Accountant may merge into a Finance Director or work as a financial team. I’d like to know I was part of building something.”
Paula-In dealing with public officials who may not have a financial background how do you deal with someone on a board who might have an opinion that isn’t necessarily based on a financial process? And how do you communicate with them and get them kind of on the track of understanding it from a financial perspective? “I always try to bring it down to the simplest method, a lot of times I refer to their household budget; their home is what they understand best.”

Shirley asked Jeanne if she had questions for the Board. “I don’t think so.” She told the Board she had previously explained to Mike it had been very interesting and appreciated the opportunity; she had not gone through this process before. It is a compliment for the department heads to have me back on the team again.
Shirley thanked her for coming and giving thought to Douglas.

Discussion: Jeanne worked with Louise (Redding-previous Town Accountant). She filled in to balance things for us while searching for another interim but couldn’t do both while still working in Uxbridge. Paula stated that during interview process (as a part of the search committee) Jeanne did present some documents that she uses with her in Uxbridge and as part of that process were comfortable that she certainly knows what needs to be done as a Town Accountant and is experienced with the technical aspects of the job.

Mike’s updates on the following:
~ Sr. Center/Post Office Project
~ Safety Committee Meeting
~ Four Town Group Meeting
~ Charter Workshop
~ Motions-Special Town Meeting
~ Rt. 16 Project

5:52 pm-James Puello-Mike gave introductions to the Board and a brief summary of Mr. Puello’s interview with the Search Committee. Shirley thanked him for coming and asked if he had questions for the Board, he did not have any and was anxious to start with theirs.
Rich-You currently work as an Assistant Town Accountant with North Attleboro, can you tell me generally speaking, with your current position what it is you like the best about it and what you like the least? “What I like the best is doing reconciliations, making sure everything balances. I really don’t have anything I don’t like. Sometimes it takes along time to get something resolved because there’s too many people involved, I have to get the okay from the Town Accountant first and then she has to go to a Department Head, sometimes it takes weeks. This is something I feel could have been taken care of right away if I had the authority just to sign off on it.”
Have you presented a resolution-you see this as a problem-what would your recommendation be to streamline that? “I have made a recommendation that when something is basically significant, if the amount in question is not over $500 bucks, if I know what the answer is I should be able to basically reconcile without waiting for anybody else.”
So far your education and experience is in municipal accounting, where do you see yourself in five to ten years-do you see yourself staying in this field-growing in this field or do you see another direction? “ When through with college I went to a firm specializing in audits and private taxes, by doing all those I realized the area I liked the most was Municipal and ever since have been working Municipal and I see myself still five years from now doing Municipal accounting.”
Shirley-Why do you want to change jobs? “I am looking for a challenge, right now I am the assistant and the current Town Accountant does not have any plans to retire in the next 20 years and I don’t want to wait that long. Also, financially an increase in pay. “
How long would you consider staying if you get this position saying all things went well? “If everything goes well, I would hope to be here for the next 20 years I guess. I don’t have plans to go anywhere, have been in this area the past 10 years.”
The commute would be no problem? “NO!”
In your present position how do you deal and work with other department heads running into any conflict or difficult people to work with? “I haven’t had that many problems with department heads as far as getting information from them. Usually I call them first, then email them so I have it in writing and that usually does the trick. Previously had the Superintendent of the Landfill Department that was out for a long time, his assistant was taking a long time getting the info out, so I volunteered to help and get things up to speed.”
Mr. Puello asked if that was an issue here-“No”.
Paula- What qualities do you think you have that made you successful in the jobs you have had so far? “Responsibility, persistence, and when I start something I like to finish it.”
Shirley-Do you have any problems working beyond your normal working hours? Say if you were asked to come into a meeting at night and sit with the finance Committee, Administrator and Board of Selectmen working on a final budget for ATM? “There should be no problem. My wife does go to school but I have my Mother and Mother in law.”
Rich-We have new accounting software-Munis-are you familiar with that software?“We are going to Munis effective July 1st.”

Shirley asked Mr. Puello if he had questions for the Board. He confirmed the hours the Municipal Center is open and asked if there was flexibility on the salary. Shirley told him it would have to be discussed. Thanked him and told him he would be contacted with the decision.

Discussion: Shirley-Thanked and remarked that the Search Committee (all named and their title), did a very good job giving two good candidates. Mike-Explained that four out of eleven applicants were invited in for interview, one out of state and couldn’t make it. Rich-Commented that both interviewed and presented themselves well and gave intelligent and articulate answers. Paula-Stated that sometimes when you go through a Search Committee, you don’t know what you’re going to get as far as qualifications, but we (Search Committee) felt these two had all the attributes we were looking for.
Shirley asked the Board for their thoughts on who they would like to appoint at this time.
Rich-They both interviewed very well, impressed with both. One advantage with Jeanne-she has actually worked for the Town before on several occasions and has worked as a Town Accountant for five. James is still at the assistant level so I believe she edged him out in terms of experience. In terms of credentials they are neck and neck. Frankly I think either would both do a good job. If I had to choose in terms of experience and credentials, all things considered I would probably lean towards Jeanne.
Paula-Basically pretty much similar comments. This is when it’s tough to make a choice because they both are excellent candidates. For the same reason lean towards someone who is currently in an accountants position and just a bonus that would be someone that has already worked with a lot of our administrative and familiar with the people, so that’s where I would probably lean. Munis System-the candidates are equal.
Shirley asked if the Board was ready to make a decision.

Motion-Rich Preston made a motion to offer the position of Town Accountant to Jeanne Lovett.
Seconded-Paula Brouillette. Shirley-concurred with both. All-aye.
Mike will notify Jeanne and James of the Boards decision.

Adjournment-Paula Brouillette made a motion to adjourn this part of the meeting at 6:30 pm.
Seconded-Rich Preston. All-aye.

The Board of Selectmen moved their meeting into the Resource Room.
1. Call to Order:

Madam Chair Shirley Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.
In attendance: Paula Brouillette-Vice Chair, Richard E. Preston, Executive Administrator Michael Guzinski and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane.
Others present: Ernie Marks-LEPC(Local Emergency Planning Committee)Emergency Management Director, and Pauline Labrecque-LEPC Coordinator, Fire Lt., Emergency Medical Services Coordinator .
Tribune reporter-Gus Steevs. Absent- Edward A. Therrien and David A. Furno.

2. Chairman’s Announcements:
~Blackstone Public Library Meeting-
Wednesday, November 9th at 7:00 pm. All Boards and Citizens welcome.

3. Citizen’s Forum: Ernie Marks regarding the Sign Bylaw Article. Signs: Yard Sales, Realtor, For Business etc. on Memorial Squares in Town should be prohibited.
Discussion: Temporary Signs. Safety Issue. Put a notice on cable.
Consensus of the Board-okay for the Highway Department to remove any signs on Memorial Squares and on Town property if not approved.

Agenda Items:
4. Emergency Management-Ernie Marks and Pauline Labrecque
Mike explained how the Board met and discussed our Emergency Management Systems to look at responsibilities and how it relates to Town government.
Ernie discussed the procedures and plans that would take place. FEMA does a thorough revamping of the plan every five years and the team is constantly updated. Going through drills is an example. He has been Civil Defense Director for 26 years. The work load has increased ten fold, between paperwork and correspondence, attending training sessions, this would be a full time position.
Pauline explained updates, looking into getting grant monies. She feels they’re pretty well abreast of what it is they need to do, how to get it, who is responsible for what.
CERT-(Citizens Emergency Response Team) is made up of private citizens, 13 modules trained in: first aid, search and rescue, CPR, sheltering, psychology, how to handle emergency situations, etc. They meet once a month (usually the first Sunday) at 6:30 pm at the Fire Station and is open to all. Those interested can contact Ernie or just show up. He and Pauline are willing to do the training.
Shirley and Rich thanked them for all their efforts and work in the past few years.
DART-(Disaster Animal Rescue Team) Animals are taken into shelter.
Rich-These services become completely overwhelmed and asked them for their thoughts.
Ernie-The first thing noticed (Katrina disaster) people heeded the warning.
Pauline-Expressed the need to regionalize so we can look outside our boundaries, if our shelter becomes overwhelmed and we can’t shelter all these people in Douglas. Need to move as fast as we can to have everything in place-liability etc.-before something happens. Getting a lot of cooperation.
Rich-Suggested utilizing the professional people in Town. Questioned whether they have a data base of those in Town that can be contacted. The street listing does list professions.
Pauline-Right now we don’t have a data base, but definitely worth looking into. They have discussed contacting them (professionals).
The Board-Thanked them and offered help and support in their efforts.

5. TIF’s-Review and Approve-Mike reviewed the copies of the TIF’s (B&L Pool and Danlyn Realty) given to the Board at a previous workshop. He met with Marty Green and clients/owners Dan Heney and Paul Laverdiere to discuss terms of the TIF’s. They are in agreement and looking for possible approval of the Board tonight. Mike did a comparison to other towns in the area-the actual total percentage of exemption is slightly less than what they requested and the actual breakdown is spread out over ten years. It will be on the warrant for the Special Town Meeting and asked the Board to sign them on a basis of approval at Town Meeting.
Shirley-reminded all of the MMA Conference in January, there is a workshop on TIF’s.
She asked Mike to get a report of compliance required regarding those businesses having TIF’s.
Motion-The Board approved the basic terms of this agreement subject to approval of Town Meeting and final sign off after Town Meeting. So moved-Paula Brouillette. Seconded-Rich Preston and qualify that motion listing the names: B & L Pool and Orbison Corp. All-aye.

6. Town Use:
~ Girl Scouts at the Senior Center-Leader Meetings-January through May, the 4th Monday of each month-7-9 pm. Shirley M. Mosczynski read the application with restrictions and conditions
of: Fire Chief Donald Gonynor, Police Chief Patrick Foley and Senior Center Director Alyssa Graveson.
Motion-to approve as presented-Rich Preston. Seconded-Paula Brouillette. All-aye.
~ Girl Scouts at the VFW-(handout) Delivery of Products (nuts, candy, calendars) Wednesday, November 16th. From 8 am – 4/5 pm. Shirley M. Mosczynski read the application with restrictions and conditions of: Deputy Fire Chief John J. Furno and Police Chief Patrick Foley.
Motion-to approve as presented- Paula Brouillette. Seconded-.Rich Preston. All-aye.
~ Eagleview Condo Association-Resource Room-(handout) Annual Meeting-Wednesday, November 9th. 7:30 pm. Shirley M. Mosczynski read the application with restrictions and conditions of: Deputy Fire Chief John J. Furno and Police Chief Patrick Foley.
Motion-to approve as presented-Rich Preston. Seconded-Paula Brouillette. All-aye.
~ Knitting Circle-Senior Center- (handout) Thursdays 7-9 pm Shirley M. Mosczynski read the application with restrictions and conditions of: Senior Center Director Alyssa Graveson.
The group has no name and is not one time only.
Motion-to approve as presented pending approval of Fire Chief Donald Gonynor and Police Chief Patrick Foley-Rich Preston. Seconded-Paula Brouillette. All-aye.
~ Brownie Troop #569-Senior Center- (handout) Meetings-Wednesdays 3-4:30 pm
Shirley M. Mosczynski read the application with restrictions and conditions of: Fire Chief Donald Gonynor, Police Chief Patrick Foley and Senior Center Director Alyssa Graveson
Motion-to approve as presented- Paula Brouillette. Seconded-. Rich Preston. All-aye.

7. Minutes~ May 3, 2005- Paula Brouillette made a motion to approve the minutes of May 3, 2005 as presented. Seconded-Rich Preston. All-aye.

8. Administrators Report-Mike received a letter regarding the following:
~Edward A. Therrien-will be retiring as Highway Superintendent and Selectman effective December 16, 2005, his last day of office will be November 4, 2005. This raises two issues the Board needs to address within the next couple weeks:
~Highway Superintendent-Mike recommends for short term the Board accept letters of interest from members of the Highway Department for a possible ninety day appointment as Interim Highway Superintendent until able to go out for a search for this position. He asked the Board to authorize him to accept the letters regarding the Interim position. He will get back to the Board with more information after speaking to those who have submitted letters of interest.
Shirley-did contact Mr. Therrien. She thanked him for his years of service, wished him well in his retirement and hoped he stayed healthy.
Motion- Paula Brouillette made a motion to accept the retirement letter of the Highway Superintendent and as a member of the Board of Selectmen effective December 16, 2005. Seconded- Rich Preston. All-aye
Motion-I move that we accept the Town Administrators recommendation that we accept letters of interest for the position of Highway Superintendent as Interim position for 90 days and subsequently there be research and exploration in regard to the definition of the new position and that a wider search would be made to fill the position. Seconded-Paula Brouillette. All-aye.
~Selectman-Mike informed the Board that they could either have a special election now or choose not to fill the position until the next election.
Shirley-Recommended putting this on the agenda for November 15, 2005 with a full Board.

9. Old / New Business:
4 Town Group- Paula-Moving on with the Planning Exercise they have been working on for the 4 Town area-(Douglas, Uxbridge, Sutton & Northbridge). Meeting this Friday (4th) working with Daylor Consulting to start work on defining that area. Shirley-Suggested setting up a meeting with the Selectmen in the future for the Board to be updated.
Permanent Building Committee-Paula-Have a list of people recommended at next meeting.

10. Executive Session:
Paula Brouillette made a motion to go into Executive Session for the purpose of Collective Bargaining at 8:00 pm and return to Regular Session for the purpose of adjournment. Seconded- Rich Preston.
Roll Call Vote- Paula Brouillette-aye, Rich Preston-aye, Shirley M. Mosczynski-aye.

11. Adjournment:
Paula Brouillette made a motion to adjourn at 8:12 pm. Seconded: Rich Preston. All-aye.

Respectfully submitted;

Jane L. Brule
Administrative Secretary
Executive Session
November 1, 2005
Approved and Released February 21, 2006

1. Call to Order:
Madam Chair Shirley M. Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 8:00 pm in the Resource Room at the Municipal Center.
Absent: Edward Therrien and David Furno.

10. Executive Session:
Motion - Paula Brouillette made a motion to go into Executive Session for the purpose of collective bargaining at 8:00 pm and to return to Regular Session for the purpose of adjournment. Seconded - Rich Preston.
Roll call vote: Paula Brouillette-aye, Richard E. Preston-aye and Shirley M. Mosczynski –aye.

Collective Bargaining:
Discussion of the Agreement between the Town of Douglas and the Douglas Teachers Association-health insurance benefits, including dental insurance benefits:
Mike explained that this issue has been going on since February when the Town Treasurer switched dental plans from Delta to Guardian. These are 100% employee paid with no impact on the Town Treasurer. However, the Teachers Union was aggrieved by the fact that even though it‘s a better plan, the Treasurer hadn’t met with them or bargained this with the Union in making this change. In response, they filed a grievance in the spring and Mike did contact Town Attorneys, Kopelman & Paige, and asked they try to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. At the time the School was going through Administrative changes which caused this process to be dragged out considerably. Things were wrapped up quickly once the acting Superintendent came aboard. They were able to come up with an agreement, which is fair to all sides and approved by Council.
Basically by the terms of this agreement we do allow the Teachers to decide which plan to pick and choose. Right now all the Town is under the Guardian Dental Plan. (Mr. Guzinski inaudible-due to background noises and voices) In signing this agreement both parties to waive any future grievances in regards to this particular incident. The School Committee (as Mike understands) has actually already approved the agreement. He has spoken with the Treasurer and referenced Chapter 32B.
Shirley stated that it is a tricky situation. Some dentists don’t accept those plans and people don’t want to have to change dentists.
Mike stated this can be put to rest and hopes that dealings with the School Union will be better now that we have better communication.

Motion - Paula Brouillette made a motion to approve the Memorandum of Agreement as a resolution to the Douglas Teachers Association Grievance.
Seconded - Richard E. Preston.

Roll call vote: Paula Brouillette- aye, Richard E. Preston-aye and Shirley M. Mosczynski-aye.

Motion - Paula Brouillette made a motion at 8:11 pm to come out of Executive Session and return to Regular Session for the purpose of adjournment. Seconded - Richard E. Preston
Roll call vote: Paula Brouillette- aye, Richard E. Preston-aye and Shirley M. Mosczynski-aye.

Adjournment:
Paula Brouillette made a motion to adjourn at 8:12 pm.
Seconded - Richard E. Preston. All-aye.

Respectfully submitted;

Jane L. Brule
Administrative Secretary
Suzanne Kane

Return to 2005 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes