BOS - February 8, 2005 - Budget Workshop

Moderators: Suzanne Kane, Jane Alger

BOS - February 8, 2005 - Budget Workshop

Postby Suzanne Kane » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:19 pm

Board of Selectmen
Meetin Agenda
Budget Workshop
February, 8, 2005

1. Call to Order

• Executive Session

• Budget

2. Adjournment
______________________________________________________
______________________________________________________
Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
Budget Workshop
February 8, 2005
Approved March 1, 2005


1. Call to order:

Madame Chairman Shirley Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 6:06 pm. In attendance: Paula Brouillette, David Furno, Edward Therrien, Executive Administrator Michael Guzinski, and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane. Rich Preston arrived at 6:10 pm.

Other Staff: Town Engineer William Cundiff, Town Counsel Thomas McEnaney, and appraiser Calvin Hastings.

 Executive Session:
Paula Brouillette made a motion to adjourn into Executive Session for the purpose of Litigation Strategy and to return to regular session for budget discussions. David Furno seconded the motion. Paula Brouillette – aye, Shirley Mosczynski – aye, David Furno – aye, Edward Therrien – aye.

Rich Preston made a motion to adjourn out of Executive Session at 7:10 pm for the purpose of returning to Regular Session – Budget Workshop. Paula Brouillette seconded the motion. Paula Brouillette – aye, Rich Preston – aye, Shirley Mosczynski – aye, David Furno – aye, Edward Therrien – aye.

Michael Guzinski brought Town Accountant Rich Mathieu to the meeting.
 Budget:
Shirley Mosczynski reported that she, Michael Guzinski, and Paula Brouillette went to Senator Moore’s input meeting. Rich Mathieu passed out a memo to the Board of Selectmen, dated February 8, 2005, re: FY06 Budget – Draft #2. Looking at the summary of “Available Revenues”, Michael Guzinski stated the summary shows where they are. He stated Chapter 70 is over. He also had Rich Mathieu add the Free Cash amount for the Boards information. There was discussion about Capital items – there was a Capital item in the Highway expenses that was taken out and put into Capital. Michael Guzinski suggested they use stabilization or free cash to fund some of the Capital items. Rich Preston was concerned about the Highway vehicle that was put into Capital – it’s an emergency vehicle and maybe should stay in Highways budget. Paula Brouillette disagreed – Capital items should stay in Capital. Rich Preston asked what defines Capital items. Michael Guzinski stated items with a value over $10,000 and a life span of over 10 years. Paula Brouillette stated that they as a Board should put the focus back on Capital. Rich Mathieu stated he would like to send his information to the School minus the last page and the free cash amount. Consensus of the Board to authorize Rich Mathieu to forward the information to the School as discussed. Paula Brouillette asked when they would get a budget from Valley Tech. Michael Guzinski stated not until March 3rd. The Board of Selectmen continued to go over the budget where they left off from their last budget meeting.
 Board of Health: Michael Guzinski reported the Board of Health had asked for a new hire. Rich Mathieu stated the position was approved by the Personnel Board last year.
 Highway: Michael Guzinski reported that the only request from Highway was to fill the position which has been vacant for one year. Shirley Mosczynski questioned the $41,200 under 420.000 Highway Machinery Maintenance 870.000 Equipment / Capital Item. Edward Therrien stated it was a dump truck. Rich Mathieu stated he will go over it with Edward Therrien and BettyAnn McCallum.
 Recreation: Rich Preston stated he would like an explanation of the Miscellaneous line item which is 12% of their budget.
 Library: Looking at the pay grades and steps, Paula Brouillette asked if it was their request to keep the steps at the same level on two positions. Rich Mathieu will look into it. Paula Brouillette stated she just wants to make sure everyone is treated equitably. Paula Brouillette stated the Town spends the same amount for books as other communities but they only have half the amount of books – what is the money being spent on. Rich Mathieu stated he will look into it.
 School: Paula Brouillette asked if they need to give the school any information to help them come up with a budget figure. Rich Mathieu stated his memo packet will certainly be helpful. Michael Guzinski stated the biggest issue will be free cash – whether or not to use it. Paula Brouillette suggested if free cash is used it is only used for Capital items. She stated it’s a policy they could recommend that would put the focus back onto Capital. She also recommended that if approximately $800,000 is put into the budget – Capital is staying. Rich Mathieu stated there are issues with the School using the revolvers – he feels the general fund budget should show the true operational costs of the School. Rich Preston stated he would like to put approximately $800,000 to Capital and $400,000 to the budget. Paula Brouillette asked if the $50,000 bonus to Mary Stone was in the budget. Rich Mathieu stated it was – including other things that were funded from somewhere else. Michael Guzinski reminded the Board that this was the Administrators budget – he is not sure if the School Committee has accepted it. Rich Mathieu stated that it was his understanding that at the last School Committee meeting and with the support of 10 parents they were going with the full budget. Paula Brouillette suggested that when they meet with the School Committee they take a couple of big issues – don’t go line by line. Michael Guzinski suggested staff and utilities. Shirley Mosczynski questioned the increase in textbooks on page 4. Michael Guzinski stated issues are new staff, electricity, the Mary Stone issue – the big picture is on the revenue side. Rich Preston questioned the Inter. School Classroom Instructional Tech on page 5 for $57,500. Shirley Mosczynski questioned the $120,000 for Salary Adjust./Merit Pay at the top of page 6. Paula Brouillette stated she thinks that is for when they negotiate contracts – they always have a separate line. She doesn’t know why it has gone up. Paula Brouillette stated the heating oil section does not make sense – maintenance on buildings is also a question. Shirley Mosczynski stated there are questions on rubbish removal, tech. maintenance and special education tuition. Rich Preston asked if they knew what the expectation was from the school. Michael Guzinski stated they could come in and ask for a prop. 2 ½. Shirley Mosczynski asked everyone what they thought about that. Consensus not in favor of issue. Rich Mathieu stated if they do a prop. 2 ½ for the school they have to do the municipal side. Shirley Mosczynski stated it will be a general overall discussion. Paula Brouillette stated that when they send the information to the School Committee could they add the % per employee on health care.
 Snow and Ice Removal: Rich Preston questioned the snow and ice payments. Rich Mathieu stated the Finance Committee did not have a quorum at the meeting prior to the Special Town Meeting. He will process and hold the checks until the Finance Committee signs off. Paula Brouillette stated the lack of a quorum is an issue. She suggested the Board of Selectmen send a letter to Town Moderator Jerome Jussaume giving their support and asking for help in filling the Finance Committee seats. Paula Brouillette made a motion to direct Michael Guzinski to send a letter to Town Moderator Jerome Jussaume giving the Board of Selectmen’s support and asking for help in filling the Finance Committee seats. David Furno seconded the motion. All – aye.
 School Audit: Michael Guzinski stated they received the second draft of the School Audit. Consensus of the Board that they would review the draft and give the School Committee a copy at the meeting on Tuesday, February 15, 2005.

2. Adjournment:
Paula Brouillette made a motion to adjourn at 9:03 pm. Rich Preston seconded the motion. All – aye.

Respectfully submitted,


Suzanne Kane
Administrative Assistant
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2005 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron