December 7, 2011 BFCC

Moderator: Mary Wright

December 7, 2011 BFCC

Postby Lisa Lannon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:44 am

BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
DECEMBER 7, 2011


A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee was held on December 7, 2011 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Holland called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Sean Holland (Chairman), Ed Gouin, Virginia Howe, Matt Sargent, Linda Brown, Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairman), William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Joe Biagioni (Ex-officio).
ABSENT:
GUESTS: Ann Carlsson, Library Trustees, and Charlie Van Voorhis.

LIBRARY ADA RENOVATION PROJECT
Ms. Brown recused herself from the Library ADA Renovation Project discussion. Mr. Cundiff noted that the schematic design report was received yesterday. He has emailed this to members of the Committee. He noted the revised cost estimate that has been included in the packets as well as the alternate parking layout.
Mr. Van Voorhis joined the meeting. He introduced the consulting engineers who each joined the meeting to discuss their systems and options available.
Mr. Chris Garcia, Plumbing and Civil Engineer, discussed the existing plumbing system as well as some possible upgrades. In addition, Mr. Garcia discussed the parking and indicated that this is in an overlay district. Therefore, he noted the implications of this. Discussion was held including snow removal needs.
Mr. David Leo, HVAC Engineer, discussed the current heating systems and options for upgrades including ventilation and distribution needs. Discussion held including location of oil tank, and the potential for use of propane and geothermal. Mr. Leo will work on getting some comparative options.
Mr. Joe Carreiro, Electrical Engineer, discussed the current electrical and fire alarm systems as well as the needs moving forward.
Further discussion was held regarding the site and parking lot. Options were explored to reduce the amount of spaces to provide for a lower cost. Some comparative pricing can be done.
Mr. Van Voorhis noted the cost summary. He indicated that the estimate indicates that the project will be substantially more than the original contract as advertised. He feels that this is a big enough scope change for changes to be addressed in the current arrangement for design services.
Mr. Van Voorhis discussed options for moving forward including reduce the scope of work to $1 million as indicated in the advertising, scale the fee up 7% based on the new estimate, or agree to continue with the design through design development and bring that number to Town Meeting including the 7% fee moving forward.
Mr. Cundiff noted that the Board of Selectmen would be looking for a recommendation on this. Much discussion held including the timing involved. Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to recommend to the Board of Selectmen the preferred schematic design G as described in the December 7, 2011 Schematic Design Report. Mr. Gouin seconded the motion. Vote unanimous with the exception of Ms. Brown who recused herself.

MINUTES
The minutes of November 16, 2011 were reviewed. Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the Building Facilities Construction Committee Minutes of November 16, 2011 as presented. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Yes – 5, Abstained – 1. Motion carries.

MUNICIPAL COMPOST FACILITY
Mr. Cundiff noted the municipal compost facility survey results. He discussed facilities in Northbridge and Webster. He noted Webster is a very well organized facility and discussed the process they use. Some discussion held.
Mr. Cundiff noted a revised schedule from the Board of Selectmen, which was included in the agenda. Discussion held.
The potential for regionalization of this service was discussed. Mr. Cundiff will contact some of the surrounding town facilities to determine if there is any interest in regionalizing. The Committee will review the maps to identify suitable areas in Town. This will be further discussed at the next meeting.

SCHOOL BUILDING COMMITTEE PROJECT
Ms. Mosczynski noted that the School Building Committee will be meeting on December 15, 2011 and the Building Facilities Committee is welcomed to attend.
Mr. Cundiff noted that the bid documents were released today. He discussed the process moving forward.
Mr. Cundiff discussed the haul road project and noted some unsuitable material has been encountered which will have to be removed. He also reported on the prequalification process.

OTHER BUSINESS
A voucher was signed for Durland Van Voorhis.
Some discussion held regarding the six-month data analysis from the met tower. Mr. Cundiff indicated that at this point it is slightly below what they are aiming for.

ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:03 PM. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Lannon
Recording Secretary
Lisa Lannon
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 am

Return to 2011 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron