March 2, 2011 BFCC Meeting

Moderator: Mary Wright

March 2, 2011 BFCC Meeting

Postby Lisa Lannon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:38 pm

BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
MARCH 2, 2011

A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee was held on March 2, 2011 in the Municipal Center. The meeting was called to order at 7:02 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: William McConnell (Chairman), Sean Holland (Vice Chairman), Shirley Mosczynski, Matt Sargent, Virginia Howe, Linda Brown, Ed Gouin, William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Joe Biagioni, (Ex-officio).
GUESTS: Ann Carlsson, Ellie Chesebrough, Library Trustee members.

GREEN COMMUNITIES PLANNING ASSISTANCE
Mr. Cundiff gave an update on the Green Communities Planning Assistance. He noted that he would be discussing the action/timeline plan reviewed at the last meeting, with Leron Biton (Green Communities Project Coordinator) tomorrow. WPI students will be in this week to help with building tabulations and square footage calculations as well as work on the energy reduction plan.
Mr. Cundiff reminded that the Board of Selectmen would be hosting an informational meeting on the Stretch Code on March 15, 2011. He encourages all to attend.

LIBRARY ADA RENOVATION PROJECT
Mr. Cundiff noted that the Board of Selectmen adopted the Designer Selection Procedures on February 8, 2011. A copy was included in the packet. He noted that these written procedures do apply to the Library Project.
Mr. Cundiff reviewed the Simon Fairfield Public Library Designer Selection Schedule in detail. Some discussion held.
The Draft RFQ (Request for Qualifications) for ADA Renovation Project of the Simon Fairfield Public Library was reviewed in detail by all those present. Discussion held regarding the funding of the advertisement. Mr. Cundiff indicated that he would inquire if the Selectmen would fund. He noted that in previous projects, it has been the proponent that has put forth the advertising costs.
Much discussion was held and amendments were made to the RFQ. Some areas will need further review and amending such as Section 2. Mr. Cundiff indicated that he would work with Ms. Carlsson to make these changes. Mr. Holland made a motion that the Committee authorizes the Town Engineer to make whatever changes are recommended and will be recommended to the RFQ as proposed in the meeting of March 2, 2011. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

HEMLOCK STREET BRIDGE
Mr. Cundiff gave an update on Hemlock Street Bridge. He noted that the Structural Design has been submitted to Mass. DOT on February 26, 2011. They will begin their review on the design. He also noted that work is progressing on the Notice of Intent to be filed with the Conservation Commission.
SITING OF A MUNICIPAL COMPOST FACILITY
Mr. Cundiff noted that a map was distributed at the last meeting showing Douglas Town Owned Land and indicating its uses. He noted that this Committee has been asked by the Board of Selectmen to identify an area that may be suitable for a municipal compost facility. He asked that members take a look at some of the sites and let him know if there are any they feel are appropriate for consideration. He will then prepare more detailed information on those sites. Some discussion held. Mr. Cundiff will prepare a memo to the Board of Health advising them of this. He noted that the Board of Health has ultimate jurisdiction.
Mr. Biagioni indicated that he runs a landscaping business and uses large amounts of compost. He discussed some areas that should be considered such as: accessibility, monitoring, equipment (i.e. loader), and process of making it clean. He noted that use of compost is rising and discussed reasons for that. He discussed some towns with successful municipal and commercial compost facilities. Discussion held.

MUNICIPAL ENERGY PROJECTS
Mr. Cundiff discussed the status of the DCS Energy Program to install solar panels. He noted that he has provided DCS Energy with a list of potential locations in Town. They have reviewed the list and requested additional information. Town Counsel has indicated a need to go through the procurement process. He noted that he has discussed this with DCS and they are in the process of reviewing.

MINUTES
The minutes of February 16, 2011 were reviewed. Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the Building Facility Construction Committee Meeting Minutes of February 16, 2012 as amended. Ms. Brown seconded. Vote: Yes – 6, Abstained – 1. Motion carries.

OTHER BUSINESS
Mr. Cundiff discussed an invoice for the Met Tower. He indicated this Committee is signing off on this because they are overseeing the project. It will then go to the Board of Selectmen for authorization. He indicated that this would be paid for through the grant received for $85,000. The invoice in the amount of $28,000 includes the erection of the meteorological tower.

AJOURNMENT
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 PM. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Lannon
Recording Secretary
Lisa Lannon
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 am

Return to 2011 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest