April 6, 2011 BFCC Meeting

Moderator: Mary Wright

April 6, 2011 BFCC Meeting

Postby Lisa Lannon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:12 pm

BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
APRIL 6, 2011


A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee was held on April 6, 2011 at the Municipal Center. The meeting was called to order at 7:04 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: William McConnell (Chairman), Sean Holland (Vice Chairman) (arrived at 7:51 PM), Shirley Mosczynski, Virginia Howe, Linda Brown, Ed Gouin, William Cundiff (Town Engineer).
ABSENT: Matt Sargent, Joe Biagioni (Ex-officio), John Furno (Ex-officio) and Nick Miglionico (Ex-officio).

I. SAFETY COMPLEX
Mr. Cundiff discussed the Safety Complex project. He indicated that the scope of work would be refined to be more consistent with the statutory outline, similar to that of the School Project. As work progresses he will report back to the Committee.

II. LIBRARY ADA RENOVATION PROJECT
Mr. Cundiff gave an update regarding the Library ADA Renovation Project. He indicated that there have been approximately 47 prospective bidders that have requested a copy of the RFQ. He noted the voluntary site walk would be held on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 at 9:00 AM.
Mr. Cundiff noted a memo received from a potential bidder referencing Section 6.0 Minimum Requirements and questioning the certification requirements. Mr. Cundiff indicated the MCPPO certification could be changed from a minimum requirement. It could be included under the comparative section. Discussion held. The Committee agreed that the following changes would be made to the RFQ:
• Page 11 – 6.0 (2) eliminate “the MCPPO certification or other” and replace with “any”.
• Page 12 – 6.0 (2) eliminate (a) and renumber accordingly.
• Page 14 – 7.0 (3) Highly Advantageous: change to “…in 2004. Has an MCPPO Certification as issued by the MA Inspector General Office. The Respondent….”
Mr. Cundiff indicated that the changes would be posted online and everyone who received a package would receive an email directing them to the changes.
Mr. Cundiff noted another memo received questioning the amount of the fee. Committee members agreed Mr. Cundiff should confirm that this is the fee.

III. SITING OF A MUNICIPAL COMPOST FACILITY
Mr. Cundiff noted a memo from Ms. Bacon, Board of Health, inviting this Committee to the next Board of Health meeting on April 26, 2011. He noted concern regarding the potential need for a municipal compost facility in this community. Some discussion held. Mr. Cundiff will send out a reminder a few days prior to the meeting.

IV. HEMLOCK STREET BRIDGE
Mr. Cundiff gave an update on the progress of the Hemlock Street Bridge. He noted a letter from the MA DOT reviewing the construction and design plans. Actual comments written on the plans are available online. He encourages members to review. Mr. Cundiff as well as the Highway Superintendent and the Town Administrator will meet with the engineer to discuss the direction that should be taken. However, there are concerns regarding the magnitude of some of the comments. It may be recommended to consider options including a more experienced firm. A meeting will be set up with the present engineer. Mr. Cundiff has solicited input from another firm and response was included in the packet. Some discussion held. Mr. Cundiff will keep the Committee informed.

V. MUNICIPAL WIND TURBINE
Mr. Cundiff gave an update on the Municipal Wind Turbine. Letters were sent to 4 abutters requesting installation of sound level measuring devices on their properties. Some discussion held. A question was raised regarding the use of SODAR equipment as discussed at the last meeting. Mr. Cundiff indicated that this may or may not be a viable option. It would only be able to be used during the summer when school is not in session. This is still being reviewed.

VI. INTERMEDIATE/ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PROJECT
Ms. Mosczynski noted that the Town voted to move forward with the Intermediate/Elementary School Project. The School Building Committee will meet tomorrow evening to finalize contracts and to discuss moving forward. It was suggested that this Committee meet with the School Building Committee at the 25, 50 and 75 percent milestones.
Mr. Gouin discussed the use of geo thermal in the School and Library projects. He indicated that he has been in touch with individuals that are professionals in this area and would be willing to meet with this Committee and any others to discuss geo thermal. Discussion held. It was the consensus of the Committee to schedule a time to host a meeting for this purpose. Mr. Gouin and Mr. Cundiff will coordinate.

VII. DCS ENERGY SOLAR PROPOSAL
Mr. Cundiff discussed the DCS Energy Solar proposal. He discussed a list of Connecticut references and the comments received. He noted the Towns in Massachusetts that are moving forward with the proposal. Mr. Guzinski is in the process of contacting. Mr. Cundiff noted a letter forwarded from the Board of Selectmen from BCK Law that notes some of the similar concerns that Town Counsel had.
Ms. Brown and Ms. Mosczynski reported on a subsequent seminar by DCS Energy they attended. Discussion held. The potential of soliciting letters of interest was discussed. Mr. Cundiff will begin to move forward with this.

VIII. GREEN COMMUNITIES PLANNING ASSISTANCE
Mr. Cundiff noted the draft of the Green Communities Action Plan. He indicated that Mr. Biton has asked for input from this Committee prior to going to the Board of Selectmen. Mr. Cundiff encouraged members to review this plan and get feedback to him a week from this meeting.

MINUTES
The minutes of the March 16, 2011 meeting were reviewed. Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the Building Facility Construction Committee meeting minutes of March 16, 2011 as presented. Mr. Gouin seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Brown made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:34 PM. Mr. Gouin seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,


Lisa Lannon
Recording Secretary
Lisa Lannon
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 am

Return to 2011 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest