10/17/2011 - Meeting Minutes

Moderator: Maria Lajoie

10/17/2011 - Meeting Minutes

Postby Maria Lajoie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:54 am

*All documents of this meeting can be found in the Community Development Department – Conservation Commission files.
The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm.

Chairman Michael Yacino, Linda Brown, Brandi Van Roo, Tracy Sharkey, David Windoloski, Stephen Zisk (Planning/Conservation Agent), William Cundiff (Town Engineer) and Maria Lajoie (Administrative Secretary). Absent were Vice Chairwoman Marylynne Dube and Kelley Donley.

1. Town of Douglas/School Project: Order of Conditions. Present was Fred King. The Commission reviewed the final draft of the Special Conditions. Minor changes made to #7: change date to 2011; #68: change wording to “shall be removed immediately following the issuance of a Certificate of Compliance”; #84: add in Condition number; and #101: use #68 wording. The Commission signed the Order of Conditions and Zisk will make the changes to the Special Orders.
2. Full Circle Tree Care: Quote for removal of tree on Manchaug Road conservation land. Yacino said he went to the property and feels that $1500 is too much money to cut this tree down and said they could cut it down themselves and Van Roo said no because it was too dangerous. The members will look at the tree and discuss at the next meeting.
3. Cedar Street Bridge. Cundiff said the Highway Department started working on the temporary bridge work and Cundiff is waiting to hear from MassDOT with a base plan. Cundiff also said that Finamore does not want anyone on his property and therefore the materials need to be stored near the channel bank, which is a small disturbance area and the Commission said that they had no issue with this. When it is time to construct a permanent bridge, a Notice of Intent will be filed with the Commission.
4. 68 Shore Road. Zisk said there is a new owner and their Attorney is asking for more time to clean up the area.
5. 133 Shore Road. Requesting a Certificate of Compliance. The Commission will do a site walk on November 2, 2011 at 5:15pm.

7:15 PM (NOI) #143-0 PUBLIC HEARING – 151 Davis Street / Smith, Ross
Present was Ross Smith and his representative Robert Murphy of R.G. Murphy & Associates. The scope of work consists of developing a drainage infiltration system. Murphy said that right now the drainage basin is in the buffer zone and the infiltration is not completed but also said that the drainage basin was originally designed well. Yacino was looking at the plan and asked Murphy to change hay bales to straw bales and Murphy said he would change the plan but will be using straw waddles. A Motion was made by Van Roo to continue the Public Hearing on Monday, November 7, 2011 at 7:45pm, seconded by Brown. Vote was unanimous.
Present were WRWD member John Bombara and his representative Matthew Bellisle of Pare Corp. Bellisle submitted a Memo dated 10/13/11 regarding Historic and Current Operating Practices and also copies of the Whitin Reservoir Dam Operations & Maintenance Manual. Discussed the monitoring during drawdown (Page 8) and Yacino asked about the 6-foot drawdown and Bellisle said yes at the delta and that there would be no adverse effects on fisheries and wildlife. Brown asked about the historic report and Bellisle said it was in the Operation Manual. Yacino asked if there is a chart that says what the flows are year round and Bellisle and Bombara said there is a chart and it is checked on a regular basis. Van Roo said the drawdown should begin in November and not the end of October and that it doesn’t meet the state Wildlife Regulations. Bellisle said they begin the drawdown at the end of October because it takes a month and it would impact fisheries and wildlife otherwise. Bombara said that if the gate is left up too long it can ruin the dam. Zisk asked about the On-going Annual 6-Foot Drawdown and Bellisle said they would maintain the 4.5cfs or greater. Zisk asked where they got the 2004 Eutrophic Plant Management Generic Environmental Impact Report and what was the Section that states maintaining a minimum base flow of 4.5 cfs to the receiving channel for the low level outlet and Bellisle said he was not sure but will get the information and reference it in the manual (Page 6: Van Roo said she would like to wait for this information and will also speak to the state regarding October vs. November possible impacts. Zisk will write up the Order of Conditions for the next meeting. A Motion was made by Brown to continue the Public Hearing on November 7, 2011 at 7:00pm, seconded by Sharkey. Vote was unanimous.

The Commission received a letter from Michael Weaver of Guerriere & Halnon dated 10/13/11 requesting a continuance of this Public Hearing to the December 5, 2011 meeting. A Motion was made by Brown to continue the Public Hearing on Monday, December 5, 2011 at 7:30pm, seconded by Van Roo. Vote was unanimous.
After review, the Commission asked Lajoie to check the video for one of the hearings. The minutes of 9/19 & 10/3 will be approved at the next meeting.

At 8:20pm, a Motion was made by Brown to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Van Roo. Vote was unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Maria D. Lajoie
Administrative Secretary
Maria Lajoie
Maria Lajoie
Posts: 1392
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Community Development Department

Return to 2011 Conservation Commission Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest