Minutes May 28, 2013

Moderator: Ellie Chesebrough

Minutes May 28, 2013

Postby Ellie Chesebrough » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Simon Fairfield Public Library
May 28, 2013
Minutes
Trustee Meeting

Present: Joe Biagioni, Danielle Morrow, Ellie Chesebrough, Barbara VanReed, Betty Holden, Ramona Lachapelle, Ann Carlsson and Paula Brouillette.

Absent: Barbara Grimes-Smith and Merritt Tetreault.

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM.

The Board voted to maintain the same slate of officers: Biagioni, Chair, Grimes-Smith, vice-Chair, Lachapelle, Treasurer, Chesebrough, Secretary.

Minutes for the April 23rd meeting were accepted.

Treasurer’s Report
The $8,000 CD held at Unibank has been transferred to the care of the Town Treasurer assigned to the regular Library donations account.

Director’s Report
Goals update
• Website has been updated.
• Josh Tetreau attended MassLNC (Mass Library Network Consortia) meeting all day on Wednesday May 15.

Evergreen Update
At the Mass LNC meeting, participants were told that the Minuteman Consortia received an enhanced Evergreen version and that one is working well. It was not known why all the regions were not given the enhanced version. It was postured that users of the C/W MARS version of Evergreen can contribute ideas, can vote on those ideas, which the Evergreen developers will use in future versions. Problems that still exist:
• erroneous emails where people receive emails that their items are in and the items are still in transit.
• daily crashes

Budget
Mone books and adult and juvenile non-fiction books were purchased at the New England Mobile Book Fair. This was the first purchase using private funds to make up the book budget deficit for certification.

Building Concerns
David Manning reported to Carlsson that the front door needs to be re-finished. Water is seeping through and the door is getting damaged.

Ricky Colonero was asked to get a quote to fix the front steps and he in turn asked to have it from the Trustees in writing detailing the specifics of what is wanted. Once he has a scope of work in writing from the Board, he will get an estimate for that exact work to be completed.

Old Business
Building Renovation
• Funding
Paula Brouillette joined the meeting to discuss possible funding options for the Library project. She felt it might be worth talking to the Capital Committee to put together a maintenance strategy for the Town’s buildings. Initially, if the operational override had passed, a capital fund of approximately $210,000 per year would have become available after the first year. This could have been used to address the maintenance issues including the Library’s handicapped resolutions. Without this source it becomes more difficult to envision funding the Library project. Some points discussed included:
o The Stabilization Fund has a balance of $1.2 million which represents 5% of the total budget, an amount looked favorably upon by the bonding companies. The next borrowing by the Town will be for the middle school renovation and therefore it would be prudent of the Town to keep the stabilization fund at 5% until that borrowing at least.
o The Town Administrator felt that doing the Library project in a piecemeal fashion was not a great idea.
o What is the capacity of the region to raise $2 million? Is there an awareness of the Library building project?
o Has it been communicated to residents that the cost for the Library renovation would amount to approximately $45 a household per year for a 20 year period?
o Is there a way to solicit on the Internet, through Facebook or elsewhere, a $1 donation to help fund the Library project, perhaps by getting an Eagle Scout candidate to facilitate or as a senior high school community project?
• Right of way/easement
Biagioni will continue to pursue the resolution of this issue.
• Other
The Town Administrator felt that to get Building Facilities Construction Committee not to be involved in the Library building project would take a Town Meeting vote since it existence is a Town by-law.

Is there a way to petition the State Legislature to waive the prevailing wage law for the Library project?

Biagioni asked that Trustees bring their thoughts on a timeline to bring to project to the design stage where working drawing are prepared.

Sign
Carlsson will ask Tetreault about his thoughts on the sign’s dedication. There was discussion concerning how to install letters for the signs, both semi-permanent like hours, and temporary like program announcements.

Other
There was discussion concerning the condition of the front steps and how to fix them. Who has the responsibility to fix them, the Town or the Library. Should they be repaired or replaced? It was generally felt a patch job was the best option. Biagioni will meet with Carlsson and Colonero to resolve this issue. Chesebrough had felt that Carlsson should have presented the Trustees with options from which to choose.

New Business
Library Director Review
The review has been postponed to the June meeting.

The next meeting is scheduled for June 25th.

The meeting adjourned at 8:38 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Ellie Chesebrough, Secretary
Ellie Chesebrough
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am

Return to Library Trustee Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron