Minutes August 27, 2013

Moderator: Ellie Chesebrough

Minutes August 27, 2013

Postby Ellie Chesebrough » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:20 am

Simon Fairfield Public Library
August 27, 2013
Minutes
Trustee Meeting

Present: Joe Biagioni, Ramona Lachapelle, Ellie Chesebrough, Barbara VanReed, Betty Holden and Ann Carlsson.
Absent: Merritt Tetreault, Barbara Grimes-Smith and Danielle Morrow.

The meeting was called to order at 7:01 PM.

Minutes for the July 16th meeting were accepted with VanReed abstaining.

Treasurer’s Report
Trustees accepted the Treasurer’s report.

Director’s Report
Staffing Changes:
Josh Tetreau and Katie Malo have reduced their hours. Gail Bowen has moved into a full time library assistant position. Maryellen Aubin and Maria Rocheleau have been hired as part time library assistants. Ashley Landry has been hired as a new page. A new schedule is being developed and will be presented to Trustees at their September meeting. Carlsson noted when asked about the status of the full time Circulation Librarian position and whether she planned to promote any existing staff to it that she does not plan on lowering the pay rate for the person who has reduced his hours to 4-5 hours a week and she wants to have a 3 month probation period for the employee who has been made full time.

Sign Dedication:
Articles have been submitted to BV Tribune, Telegram and Uxbridge Times for the sign dedication. Letters have been sent to Rep. Fattman, Senator Moore, Mike Guzinski and the Board of Selectmen.

Updates:
The Website including the Blog has been updated.

Director’s Contract:
Carlsson submitted to Biagioni the required notice she intends to continue her contract which renews at the end of January 2014.

Programming:
Zentangle was a huge hit for the 24 adults who attended. A bonus was that half of them were not regular library users.

The Summer Reading Program ended last week. This year over 85 kids registered and it was a huge success.

LIG/MEG:
The first half of the LIG/MEG application, for certification has been submitted. The next piece, due in October, will determine whether or not a waiver is needed. The Annual Report required by the Mass Board of Library Commissioners showed an increase in the Library’s circulation, 38,392 last year vs. 47,261 this year. The Library has 4,401 registered patrons.

Front steps:
Ricky Colonero has obtained a quote from Dixon-Salo Architects for their recommendation on what to do with the front steps. I will be working with Town Administrator Mike Guzinski on this. Mr. Colonero is retiring from full time work in October and will not be here to see this project to completion. Highway will be repairing the front walk way. Carlsson will check with Highway for estimated dates.

Sign Letters:
Tetreault obtained information on sign letters from Kent Brotherton.

Old Business
Building Renovation:
• Right of way/easement
Biagioni reported that surveying discrepancies on the bounds for the Webster Credit Union and
John Petraglia’s property. The lines need to be resolved and it is estimated the cost for this would be $2500. Discussion focused on the fact that the boundary issue is not near the area the Library wants its Right of Way. Biagioni will speak with Andrews surveying about this issue.
Sign:
The sign letters information provided by Kent Brotherton was for slide in letters. Morrow had emailed information on magnet letters. Chesebrough showed five signs she had made using vinyl sticky letters indicating that although the school was very cooperative in letting her use their Ellison Press magnetic letters would be less labor intensive. Trustees suggested using the signs Chesebrough made initially. They also supported the idea to change the signs weekly and encouraged Carlsson to develop some more create filler signs. Biagioni noted that Arbor Alliance had donated its services to trim trees making the new sign more visible. He also indicated that the old sign would be down by the September 21st dedication.

Dedication:
Biagioni will set up the Library’s tent for the September 21st dedication. He suggested that Trustees arrive by 10:15 AM for the 11:00 AM ceremony. Carlsson was asked to make a sign to insert into the new sign for the dedication. She will also take care of refreshments. Biagioni will emcee the event. Carlsson will follow up by calling the officials invited to determine who will be attending. Lachapelle will photograph the sign and email it to Trustees and Carlsson.

Steps:
The quote from Dixon-Salo Architects was $1,570 to get in turn a quote for the cost of repairing the front steps. Carlsson thought that Full Circle Trade Company had repaired the steps before. The issue with the steps deterioration is that water is getting into them. Carlsson will talk with Town Administrator to see if he has alternative ideas.

Front Door:
Chesebrough reported that the repair work on the front doors continues. She will check with Mr. Temple to see if it can be completed by the dedication ceremony. Holden requested that a new notice be posted on the inner doors showing the Wi-Fi password.

Director’s review:
Biagioni reported he met with Carlsson concerning her review. Biagioni noted that Morrow had summarized Trustees’ reviews except for Biagioni’s and Tetreault which she did not have. The summary review was distributed to Trustees and Carlsson. There was some discussion about the need to use social media effectively. Carlsson indicated that there is not a lot of training available for this and that she and her staff should not attend workshops which are not relevant to Douglas’ needs. Carlsson agreed to consolidate the Trustees goals for her for the September Trustees meeting. She is looking into workshops on eTrading and couponing.

New Business
Meeting dates:
The November meeting will be changed to November 19th. The December meeting date will be discussed at the next Trustees’ meeting.

Octoberfest:
Lachapelle reported that the lady who wanted to sell candles agreed to set up her tent on the Library property and donate all her proceeds to the Library. She is looking for exposure for her product.

The next meeting is scheduled for September 24th.

The meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Ellie Chesebrough, Secretary
Ellie Chesebrough
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am

Return to Library Trustee Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron