Minutes September 24, 2013

Moderator: Ellie Chesebrough

Minutes September 24, 2013

Postby Ellie Chesebrough » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Simon Fairfield Public Library
September 24, 2013
Minutes
Trustee Meeting

Present: Joe Biagioni, Merritt Tetreault, Barbara Grimes-Smith, Danielle Morrow, Ellie Chesebrough, Barbara VanReed, Betty Holden and Ann Carlsson.
Absent: Ramona Lachapelle.

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM.

Minutes for the August 27 meeting were accepted with Tetreault, Grimes-Smith and Morrow abstaining.

Treasurer’s Report
There was no Treasurer’s report.

Director’s Report
LIG/MEG
The 2nd part of the certification process is due October 10. It is anticipated the need for a waiver and the necessary paperwork for this process is being prepared for the town administrator and the town accountant.

Programming
Fall storytime is underway. On Mondays at10:00 am ages 15 mos-2; on Mondays 1:00 pm ages 3-5; on Tuesdays 4:00 pm ages 5-7; on Tuesdays 6:00 pm ages-3-5; on Wednesdays 10:00 am ages 2-4. The Young Readers Club meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month for grades 5-7. The Book Bunch meets the 4th Thursday of the month for grades 2-4. Eighteen have signed up for the Book Bunch and there is a wait list. This is 3 times more enrollment than ever before.

The State was giving away authentic Bruins Jerseys, 3 shirts per age category, a total of 9 shirts, as incentive prizes for the Summer Reading Program. Names were entered in each category and a reader from Douglas won an autographed shirt with a certificate of authenticity. We will try to get permission to publicize this honor in the newspaper.

Building
Ricky Colonero will be retiring by the end of October. He will become part time to clean buildings and he has indicated that the amount of time he was able to previously spend on each building is going to be less than when he was full time. He will no longer be shoveling snow or mowing lawns. His replacement’s duties have not been stated.

Octoberfest
Weeding has been done rigorously and weeded books will be placed in the foyer as opposed to downstairs.

Town Insurance does an annual inspection of town buildings and the only thing that was recommended for us was that the piles of box flats in the basement be removed. They cited it as a safety hazard. Carlsson suggested using all the extras for people to stack their purchases in during Octoberfest.

Staff schedule
Due to the varying demands of the Director’s job, her schedule reflects the average hours worked each day. Not indicated are the hours she almost always puts in sometime during each weekend. Ashley, Kaleena and Will are Library Pages.
Mondays
Ann 9-5
Deb 10-5
Maryellen 10-2
Will 2-3
Tuesdays
Ann 10-6
Deb 11-8
Gail 11-6
Josh 5-8
Maryellen 2-8
Ashley 11-2
Kaleena 6-8
Wednesdays
Ann 10-5
Deb 10-5
Gail 10-5
Maryellen 10-2
Thursdays
Ann 10-6
Deb 11-8
Gail 11-6
Maria 5-8
Ashley 11-2
Kaleena 6-8


Leftover book sale books
A representative from the Book Prospector contacted Carlsson. They will buy all old un-sold book sale books. The isbn of a book is entered into their website. This will provide the price they will pay for that particular title. Once all the books are entered a pre-paid shipping label is printed and UPS picks up the books. Their minimum weight for pick up is 15 lbs. Their website is bookprospector.com. Their company is in Des Moines, Iowa.

Old Business
Building Renovation:
• Right of way/easement
Biagioni will meet with Andrews Surveying about this issue.
Sign
The sign dedication went off well. Grimes-Smith will email some photos of the event for Carlsson to submit to newspapers. Both Biagionis were thanked for their work on the Thank you sign to Pete and Veronica.

The old sign will disappear sometime. Carlsson will investigate purchasing magnetic letters from the place Morrow had found. These letters adhere to magnetic eraser boards.

There was discussion about inserting a time capsule in the base of the sign. Selectmen had liked this idea. Morrow suggested opening the capsule every 25 years and inserting a new item. It was also thought that a contest could be held asking students in the schools what they thought about their library.

Tetreault noted that the bench somewhat obscures the visibility of the sign when coming from the West.

Steps
Carlsson will follow-up on finding out the status of the steps.

Goals July, 2013 – December, 2013
Carlsson read a statement relaying her concerns about assimilating the goals the Trustees had suggested. Discussion included
• the need to have goals in order to measure the Director’s success in achieving them
• the need to read newspapers to learn what is happening in Douglas as well as surrounding communities
• the importance of being up-to-date on technology
• the importance of using the sign to keep the community looking and to change it frequently
• updating the Trustees of staff changes should be automatic and not a goal

New Business
Representative Ryan Fattman joined the Trustees to learn more about the handicapped issues affecting the Library. He will look at several sources for ADA funding and will talk with the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. He also would like to have a tour of the building, perhaps with US Congressman McGovern.

Carlsson reported on a contact made to her concerning the possibility of a $50,000 matching grant from a terminally ill person.

Morrow spoke about contacting author Dennis Lehane for a possible visit.

The next meeting is scheduled for October 22nd.

The meeting adjourned at 9:02 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Ellie Chesebrough, Secretary
Ellie Chesebrough
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am

Return to Library Trustee Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest