Minutes October 22, 2013

Moderator: Ellie Chesebrough

Minutes October 22, 2013

Postby Ellie Chesebrough » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:44 am

Simon Fairfield Public Library
October 22, 2013
Minutes
Trustee Meeting

Present: Joe Biagioni, Merritt Tetreault, Ramona Lachapelle, Ellie Chesebrough, Barbara VanReed, Betty Holden and Ann Carlsson.
Absent: Barbara Grimes-Smith, Danielle Morrow.

The meeting was called to order at 7:07 PM.

Minutes for the September 24th meeting were accepted with Lachapelle abstaining.

Treasurer’s Report
The Treasurer’s report was accepted.

Director’s Report
Goals Update
Carlsson will investigate why some Trustees had not seen a Facebook update for quite a while. An adult couponing programming by Jamie Chase has been scheduled for November 7th. Articles have been submitted to newspapers as well as Cable regarding the program. The Library purchased two copies of the Lazy Couponer book by the author.

Donations
Sokol’s donated $300 for its lawn space at Octoberfest. This money has been deposited in general donations since no designation had been indicated.

Sign Dedication Update
Carlsson sent letters to all officials attending the dedication for the sign explaining her absence.

Carlsson contacted the magnetic letter website Morrow had found. Cost estimated for these letters is $700-$1000. She is requesting samples from other websites to get a better idea of what is offered. She made a sign for the couponing program using old Elison Press letters that had been cut previously. She expressed her concern about the temporary sign Chesebrough had put up thanking Ken Temple.

Computer Course
Carlsson is researching various continuing ed courses as a result of Trustees’ requests. Chesebrough suggested calling the Massachusetts Library System and inquiring about the online courses offered from Linda.com. Carlsson indicated she would although she preferred classroom learning. Staff participated in a webinar on October 21st on the Evergreen system.

Group Usage
Groups currently using the Library’s meeting spaces include Boy Scout leaders, Blackstone Valley leaders (a group of high school student leaders that meet throughout the Valley), Girl Scouts, Brownies, and a tutor who works individually with students.
Front Steps
A meeting is anticipated with Town Administrator Mike Guzinski and part-time town custodian Adam Furno to discuss the front steps and to get recommendations on what to do.

Technology
Carlsson expects to update some computers in the near future. As she formulates a plan she will provide more details. She will consult with the computer service she uses.

Front Door
Although the restored front door looks great, it does not completely close. It was suggested that she look at the piston arm at the top of the door and get someone to make an easy adjustment.

Old Business
Building Renovation:
• Right of way/easement
Biagioni will meet with Andrews Surveying about this issue.
Sign Letters
Biagioni felt $1000 was a lot of money to spend on magnetic letters. He is concerned about aesthetics and wants everything to look perfect. Chesebrough suggested that using the large printer in Community Development to create signs might be a possibility.

Door and Steps
Chesebrough noted the concern Ken Temple had with the water damage on the doors suggesting that staff might observe activity during inclement weather. Lachapelle recalled roof and gutter work that had been completed years ago and perhaps the damage to the door and the front steps had been fixed with that repair.

Goals July, 2013 – December, 2013
Biagioni postponed discussion on this to the November meeting when Morrow and Grimes-Smith will be present.

Donation Status
Carlsson attended a family gathering of Dr. Alan Jeffrey, a terminal ill benefactor who has offered the building project $50,000 if matched by the library. Contingencies are dependent upon Dr. Jeffrey not dying before the project is ready to be built. Discussion on the feasibility of this donation included:
• Does prevailing wage need to be provided if all donations are private?
• Can a project be defined that costs $100,000 - $200,000?
• How should the match be raised?
• It presents an almost impossible timeline, getting final drawings, working with the BFCC on the design process, fixing costly electricity issues.
• Focus needs to be on accessibility
• Positioning elevator on side of building vs. rear of building
• Carlsson will invite Building Inspector Adele Reynolds to the November meeting.
• Carlsson will check with Town Administrator Mike Guzinski about the ability to employ Robert Farley vs. Charlie VanVoorhis.

New Business
There was no new business

The next meeting is scheduled for November 19th.

The meeting adjourned at 8:32 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Ellie Chesebrough, Secretary
Ellie Chesebrough
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am

Return to Library Trustee Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest