Minutes July 22, 2014

Moderator: Ellie Chesebrough

Minutes July 22, 2014

Postby Ellie Chesebrough » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:48 am

Simon Fairfield Public Library
July 22, 2014
Trustee Meeting

Present: Joe Biagioni, Ellie Chesebrough, Barbara VanReed, Betty Holden, Karen Boyle, Merritt Tetreault, Danielle Morrow and Ann Carlsson.
Absent: Ramona Lachapelle

The meeting was called to order at 7:02 PM.

Minutes for the June 24, 2014 regular were accepted were accepted with abstentions from Tetreault and Morrow.

Treasurer’s Report
There was no Treasurer’s Report.

Director’s Report
Carlsson thanked Biagioni for the Library beautification day.

The Summer Reading Program is at the half way point. There are over 80 kids registered.
Two performers Davis Bates and Ed the Wizard have entertained over 45 participants in their separate appearances. A planetarium is coming on July 30th will have two shows at 10:30 and 11:30 in the Municipal Center gym.

Salaries were over budget in Fiscal Year 2014 by $4158. Approximately 75% of this overage occurred because of the major staff change and training that took place when Josh Tetreau left. The other 25% of this occurred in June by increasing the hours of a page to cover for Carlsson’s absence due to a personal emergency. Morrow asked how the personnel over costs were paid and Carlsson indicated that LIG/MEG moneys were used. Chesebrough asked if Josh Tetreau was still on the payroll at the same rate he was being paid as the Circulation Assistant; Carlsson confirmed this.

Heat was over the budgeted $3900 with a grand total of approximately $8000. Finance Director Lovett requested that the heating deficit came out of the Library’s operating budget which was a consistent way of showing the whole town’s deficit this past winter for heating. In order to have sufficient funds for material purchases, additional funds were taken from fines, donations and LIG/MEG moneys.

VanReed questioned the decrease in the statistics for the use of eBooks and suggested that focus should be placed on new technologies and their use by the community as an argument for the need of library. Morrow suggested updating the week snapshot which counted people coming through the door several years ago; Carlsson agreed to do this.

Carlsson explained that the Overdrive Media Station gets things delivered to iPhones.

A grant from Octoberfest for $500 was received which will be used for tween programming in the Fall.

Carlsson is looking into whether the municipal appropriation will need a waiver from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners

Old Business
Building Renovation
There was no update to the right of way conversation involving the Webster Credit Union and John Petraglia.

Library steps and roof problems
Biagioni reported noticing a dip in the portico roof. The walkway will cost $1350 for the concrete. Carlsson will report back on who is doing the work on the front steps, feedback from Architect VanVoorhis on the cost of phasing construction, and roof guarantees from when the roof was repaired before.

Chesebrough reported that she is submitting to the Secretary of State’s office an application as a non-profit organization.

Biagioni report on the results of the Library Beautification day:
• Old sign removed
• Poison Ivy removed
• Planting flowers in barrel planters, which staff are keeping watered
• Lilacs trimmed

New Business
Tetreault presented Carlsson with a new bag to replace the cardboard box she uses to bring files to Trustees Meetings.

The next meeting will be August 26, 2014.

The meeting adjourned at 7:37 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Ellie Chesebrough, Secretary
Ellie Chesebrough
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am

Return to Library Trustee Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest