Minutes October 28, 2014

Moderator: Ellie Chesebrough

Minutes October 28, 2014

Postby Ellie Chesebrough » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Simon Fairfield Public Library
October 28, 2014
Minutes
Trustee Meeting

Present: Joe Biagioni, Ellie Chesebrough, Danielle Morrow, Betty Holden, Ramona Lachapelle and Ann Carlsson
Absent: Barbara VanReed, Karen Boyle and Merritt Tetreault

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM.

Minutes
Minutes for the August 26, 2014 meeting were accepted with an abstention from Morrow.

Treasurer’s Report
There was no Treasurer’s report.

There was discussion concerning the Director’s hours. Although her contract states that she work 35 hours a week Carlsson indicated that according to personnel policy for the Town her work week should be 32 hours week and that she should be allowed to work off of town property 3 hours a week as she has been allowed in the past. Her sick time and vacation time is based on a 32 hour week and does not compute when applied to the 35 hour week of her contract. Biagioni felt that the contract needed to be corrected to reflect the 32 hour week. Lachapelle pointed out that the signed contract needs to be followed until it is changed upon its renewal in a year and a half.

Director’s Report
Programs
• Five people attended the Historic Sword program held October 16th. Although an excellent program it was felt that one of the reasons for low attendance was that the schools did not agree to send out flyers due to the subject of the program.
• Story time with Elmo was well attended with 54 children and 47 adults.
• Fall Story time is underway with all sessions fully enrolled.
• The Lego Club is very popular and has a waitlist. The library is investigating getting a high school student needing a community service project to allow more to participate.
Financials
• Carlsson has cut staff hours, one per person, to make certain the salary budget closes the year on the plus side. Chesebrough, who has been monitoring the personnel expenses, noted that although the most recent payroll was much better, the entire personnel budget was over by at least $2500. Lachapelle felt that it would take several months before the cuts reflect a balanced budget. Chesebrough will continue to monitor the personnel expenses.
• An application has been made to the Douglas Arts Council for summer programming.
• The air-conditioning unit in the adult reading room broke this summer and needs to be replaced. Because of the age of the unit parts are not available for repair and the unit needs to be replaced with a newer unit costing $2800. Discussion included that because it is under $10,000 it cannot be submitted as a capital request. Carlsson will consult with Adam Furno to develop a strategy to assure that the air-conditioning is functioning correctly by next spring/summer.
Certification
Carlsson submitted an application for certification and for the LIG/MEG grants to the Board of Library Commissioners. Because of an increase in the book budget a waiver was not needed for the first time in five years.


Old Business
Building Renovation
• Air-conditioning: Carlsson will work with Adam Furno to form a strategy to get the air-conditioning in working order by the Spring.
• Easement/ROW: Carlsson will contact Attorney Kevin David to get an update on how the Credit Union is resolving the issue and when it will be done.
• Soffit: Biagioni will speak with Adam Furno to get suggestions for repairing it.
• Steps: Build-a-Max provided a $6300 bid to do the work but cannot do it until the Spring when the weather is better. Adam Furno is also trying to get a quote from Paul D'Alfonso of Whitinsville as well. Biagioni is concerned that a consultant charged the library $1500 for poor estimates for the cost of fixing the steps and suggested contractors who did not bid on the project.
• Building renovation: Biagioni got support from those present not to pursue phasing construction due to added expense. Chesebrough read a letter of support which had been presented to the Board of Selectmen from Kent Vinson, Chairman of the Capital Improvement Committee (see below). Carlsson will contact the Selectmen’s Office to get on one of their agendas to discuss the building project.

Friends
Chesebrough reported that the Friends realized $500+ from the Octoberfest Book Sale. She has applied for the Friends to be designated a 501 (c) (3) organization (tax exempt) and should hear within 6 weeks if it has been approved. She also filed the first annual report for the Friends as required by the Secretary of State’s office.

New Business
Long Range Plan
This will be discussed at the December 2 meeting. Chesebrough provided questions she had after reading the draft:
• How were the goals determined?
• How was the community looked at, population changes?
• Did Carlsson speak with the schools, senior center, Town Administrator, Town Engineer, Historical Society, and Economic Development?
• How does this plan complement the future plans for the Town?
• Is there a need for a literacy program for the community?
• How does this plan complement the Mass. Board of Library Commissioners’ long-range plan?
• The formatting of this document is not consistent.
Meetings
A rescheduling for the next two meetings was made to December 2 and December 30. Chesebrough will notify Trustees of these changes.
Payroll signers
Biagioni asked to be added to those able to sign the payroll. A motion was made, seconded and passed unanimously to add Biagioni’s name.

The next meeting will be December 2, 2014.

The meeting adjourned at 8:29 PM

Respectfully submitted,
Ellie Chesebrough, Secretary






September 17, 2014


Dear Honorable Board of Selectmen,

The Capital Improvement Committee is grateful for your support of this past spring’s recommendations, and we are delighted by the outcome and the fact that we were able to make some progress on the needs of the town departments.
The CIC takes its responsibility seriously, and has worked diligently to assess and make recommendations based on available funds. We have been very aware of the town’s finances and continue to take this into consideration.
During our examination process this past year, many on the committee have expressed concerns with the lack of movement of the Simon Fairfield Library project. As you are aware, at this time the library is not in compliance with the current Americans with Disabilities Act. We understand that much of the reason is a lack of funds, but the consensus of the committee is that this is still a project worthy of close consideration as more funds become available. The committee would also be interested in working together with you in an effort to resolve this problem, and bring this project to a successful conclusion.

Again, we thank you for your support and look forward to hearing from you.


Warm Regards,


Kent F. Vinson
Capital Improvement Committee Chairman


Cc: Michael Guzinski
Ellie Chesebrough
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am

Return to Library Trustee Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests