Minutes December 30, 2014

Moderator: Ellie Chesebrough

Minutes December 30, 2014

Postby Ellie Chesebrough » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:26 pm

Simon Fairfield Public Library
December 30, 2014
Minutes
Trustee Meeting

Present: Joe Biagioni, Ellie Chesebrough, Danielle Morrow, Barbara VanReed, Betty Holden, Karen Boyle and Ann Carlsson
Absent: Merritt Tetreault and Ramona Lachapelle

The meeting was called to order at 7:08 PM.

Minutes
Minutes for the December 2, 2014 meeting were accepted as corrected.

Treasurer’s Report
There was no Treasurer’s report.

Director’s Report

Donations were received as follows:
$34.50 from Chesebrough’s veggie sales for the Building Fund.
$25 each from Mary Roth and Sue Jasnos for books.

The Capital Committee requested submissions for capital projects once again one for handicap accessibility was submitted

The Library is on the Selectmen’s Agenda for January 6th.

LIG/MEG
This was the first in five years that the Library did not have to apply for a waiver of the Municipal Appropriation Requirement for certification. The letter confirming the Library’s LIG/MEG award was $10,566. Carlsson provided an overview of how the State requirements and grant funding works.

Winter Storytime begins January 5th.
A Robotics Program for Tweens is being held on January 15th. Cable is securing an LED projector and screen for use at the program.

Gail Bowen attended a workshop on Overdrive, which is the E book library of CWMARS.

Carlsson did not know if the Octoberfest grant was being used for the Robotics program.

Old Business
Building Renovation
Biagioni will meet with Town Engineer Cundiff about the right of way needed for the proposed building modifications. Carlsson has not heard from the Credit Union about the deed correction or their resolution for the right of way. Biagioni brought copies of the renovation plans for Trustees to review in preparation of their meeting with the Selectmen. The library steps will be repaired in the Spring and Facilities Maintenance Supervisor Adam Furno will monitor the sag in the soffit.
Personnel Overages update
There was discussion about the overages, with an emphasis that they were the FY15 overages, not the FY14 overages. They will continue to be monitored. Carlsson did not address the increase in minimum wage beginning in January, 2015.
Long Range Plan and 2014 goals
These were not discussed at this meeting.
New Business
January 6th Selectmen’s Meeting
Some points mentioned:
• A request to put the project on the ballot for funding.
• A tour of the Library for Selectmen which highlights the building deficiencies.

Library Director’s Retirement
Carlsson read a statement that she planned to retire on April 23, 2015
It was moved, seconded and voted unanimously to set up a committee to work on strategy to get a new Director.
Holden, Morrow, Boyle and Chesebrough volunteered to serve on this committee and report back to the Trustees at their next meeting.

The next meeting will be January 27, 2015.

The meeting adjourned at 7:45 PM

Respectfully submitted,
Ellie Chesebrough, Secretary

Simon Faidield Public Library
P.O. Box 607
290 Main Street
Douglas, Massachusetts 0 1 5 I 6
508-476-2695

December 30, 2014

To The Library Board of Trustees;
I, herewith, submit my notice of intent to retire effective April 23, 2015. I lost my home
to fire back on June 1 and I no longer have a place to live within a commutable distance to the
library, therefore, I am relocating. Immediately. I regret not having the luxury of more time with
which to deliver this notice, however, it is what it is.

Ann D. Carlsson
Library Director
Town of Douglas, Massachusetts
May 1986-April 2015
Ellie Chesebrough

Return to Library Trustee Meetings