January 18, 2012 Building & Facilities Construction Comm.

Moderator: Mary Wright

January 18, 2012 Building & Facilities Construction Comm.

Postby Mary Wright » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:50 pm

BUILDING & FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
JANUARY 18, 2012

A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on January 18, 2012 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Holland called the meeting to order at 7:07 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Sean Holland (Chairman), Matt Sargent, Linda Brown, Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairman), William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Ricky Colonero (Head of Maintenance), Joe Biagioni (Ex-officio)
ABSENT: Ed Gouin, Virginia Howe
GUESTS: Ann Carlsson, Charlie Van Voorhis.

LIBRARY ADA RENOVATION PROJECT
Ms. Brown recused herself from the Library ADA Renovation Project discussion.
Mr. Charlie Van Voorhis of Durland Van Voorhis and Mr. Joe Biagioni and Ms. Ann Carlsson of the Library Trustees joined the meeting. Mr. Van Voorhis handed out responses from the engineer regarding boiler systems. The charts compared the costs of using the existing boiler or replacing the existing boiler with either another oil fired burner, a propane boiler, or a geothermal system. Discussion began regarding the pros, cons, costs and years to payback of each scenario. Mr. Cundiff stated that the Library Trustees will have to input their preference.
Mr. Colonero stated he could not support any system which uses the present boiler. He asked that Mr. Van Voorhis prepare a new chart comparing all scenarios side-by-side on one page.
The next discussion involved an email sent out from Mr. Van Voorhis from his engineer outlining a full parking lot with an underground structural storm water retention system vs. a small parking lot with bioretention and surface infiltration. Mr. Van Voorhis is waiting for the cost comparisons. Discussion began on the pros and cons of each scenario.
Mr. Cundiff recommended the low-cost surficial drainage system scenario, which would make more sense from a cost and maintenance perspective. Operationally, either option would do the job. The first option may look nicer aesthetically.
Mr. Van Voorhis asked how many parking spaces were needed. Mr. Biagioni replied that the Library Trustees were thinking of 12-15 spaces. He will discuss the spaces with the Trustees at their next meeting next Tuesday. Mr. Cundiff responded that, under site plan review, the Planning Board would be willing to entertain a waiver from the full amount of parking required because it is an improvement on the current situation. Mr. Cundiff asked Mr. Van Voorhis for an idea of the costs of each project for the Library Trustees next meeting.
Mr. Biagioni is currently in discussions with Webster Credit Union regarding connecting to their rear parking area for egress. The request has been taken up to Management and Mr. Biagioni hopes to have an answer by next Tuesday. Mr. Van Voorhis will assume egress will be granted as he prepares cost estimates.
Mr. Van Voorhis handed out the start of design development drawings and went over the plans for interior and exterior work. The question arose of whether to simply paint the current Meeting Room, a.k.a. the Program Room, or to gut and redo it. It is Mr. Van Voorhis’s opinion that, for not more than $25,000 (estimated), it would be better to gut it. Mr. Cundiff also stated that for the price, the finished product would look a lot nicer than what exists now. Mr. Colonero stated that the Library Trustees would have to decide.
The next question brought up was whether or not to leave the brick exposed on the two walls that make up rooms 108, 109 and 110 or to finish the walls with sheetrock. Mr. Colonero and Mr. Biagioni both preferred to leave the walls as exposed brick. Mr. Biagioni will bring up the issue with the Library Trustees. They will also have to decide if the same two walls will be left bare downstairs.
Mr. Van Voorhis asked if the Trustees could decide if they want to spend the extra $70-80,000 for the additional capacity for the third level for the elevator, if it is feasible. Mr. Biagioni will bring this question to the Trustees.
Mr. Van Voorhis went on to present the plans for the exterior of the building. The existing exterior brick will try to be matched. The discussion of the exterior continued.
Mr. Van Voorhis will try to update and refine the schematics for the next meeting. At the end of that meeting, he will be done with the design work and will be ready for estimates for the design cost.
Mr. Cundiff listed five items that the Library Trustees will need to make decisions upon:
1. Parking area: drainage systems and number of spaces,
2. Meeting Room and the Juvenile Non-Fiction Room wall finishes,
3. Egress from the Webster Credit Union,
4. Heating system; reach a consensus regarding removal of the existing boiler, and input on the two alternatives discussed, and
5. Elevator capacity.
Mr. Cundiff would like cost estimates on all these items from Mr. Van Voorhis.
Ms. Mosczynski asked if the library has done any fundraising and if it has any funds to help with the renovations. Mr. Biagioni said that there are funds, a Building Fund, which he wants to use for incidentals that would come with the new space, i.e. furniture, shelving, computers, etc. Fundraising efforts are ongoing.
Mr. Biagioni and Ms. Carlsson left the meeting at 8:05 PM.

ROOFING PROJECTS
Mr. Cundiff presented information regarding the Municipal Center and Elementary School roofing projects. The Town’s designer selection protocol and state law states that if the value of a project is over $100,000 or if the designer’s fee is greater than $10,000, the job has to go out for designer selection. It may make sense to do the jobs separately. Only one job may require designer selection. The plan is to do the Municipal Center roof this summer. If the Elementary School can commit to that schedule, the jobs may still be lumped together. Mr. Cundiff is waiting to hear from the School Department. For the next meeting, Mr. Cundiff will try to get some background information on the school roof. Mr. Colonero will gather information on the Municipal Center’s roof.
Ms. Mosczynski asked that someone from the elementary school be asked to come to one of the BFCC meetings.
Mr. Colonero left the meeting at 8:17 PM.

MUNICIPAL COMPOST FACILITY
One response was received from the Town of Northbridge Board of Health. They replied that a shared compost facility would not be a good fit for their town. Mr. Cundiff will prepare a status memo to go to the Board of Selectmen and will have it for the next meeting.

SCHOOL BUILDING PROJECT
Ms. Mosczynski said that the subcontractor bids look good. Mr. Cundiff said that, at this point, they are at least 1.7 million below budget. General Contractor bids open this Friday at 2:00 PM. There is one electrical matter regarding a significant difference between the lowest bid and next lowest bid, which will be resolved in a matter of days.

MINUTES
The minutes of January 4, 2012 were reviewed. Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the BFCC minutes of January 4, 2012 as presented. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

ONGOING PROJECTS
Mr. Cundiff received a written proposal regarding the Hemlock Street bridge from McGuire Group for final draft of the contracts. McGuire is maintaining their original proposal quote. Mr. Cundiff is working with John Furno and he will have more information for the next meeting.
Ms. Brown asked about the Cedar Street bridge. Mr. Cundiff replied that it is a temporary bridge and its capacity will need to be looked at every five years.
Regarding the Safety Complex, Mr. Cundiff is still finalizing the RFP.

ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Brown made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:24 PM. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2012 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron