May 2, 2012 Building & Facilities Construction Committ

Moderator: Mary Wright

May 2, 2012 Building & Facilities Construction Committ

Postby Mary Wright » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:35 pm

BUILDING & FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
MAY 2, 2012

A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on May 2, 2012 at the Municipal Center. Ms. Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 7:08 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairman), Linda Brown, Virginia Howe, Matt Sargent, William Cundiff (Town Engineer)
ABSENT: Ed Gouin, Sean Holland (Chairman)
GUESTS: Lt. Nick Miglionico and Patrolman Mark Dunleavy

SAFETY COMPLEX RFQ
Mr. Cundiff reviewed that the Board of Selectmen had asked the BFCC to consider an additional scope item in the RFQ to look at expanding the Police Dept. into the Municipal Building when the School Department vacates. Mr. Cundiff added an option D to the designer’s evaluation, which does what he described. It is a very preliminary look. Phase III of the whole project is schematic design. There is no money to explore the municipal impact of this expansion. Scope changes are included as a second addendum
Lt. Miglionico stated that the Police Dept. is open to all options being explored.
The BFCC was in agreement for Mr. Cundiff to include the scope changes as a second addendum. June 6, 2012 is the new submittal date.
Mr. Cundiff received an email from Mr. Steve Guglielmo from Saccoccio & Associates, which is a firm from out of state. Mr. Guglielmo wanted to bring several sections in the RFQ to the attention of the Committee to see if it would be worth reducing some requirements to allow out of state companies that do not have police safety experience in Massachusetts to bid. Mr. Cundiff feels it will be a competitive process without reducing those requirements. A discussion ensued regarding state requirements and the requirements stated in the RFQ. The Committee decided to leave the requirements as they are.
Lt. Nick Miglionico and Patrolman Mark Dunleavy left the meeting.
Mr. Sargent pointed out a correction under section 11.6, second line – the number of alternative analyses should be 8 not 6.

LIBRARY ADA RENOVATION PROJECT
Ms. Brown recused herself.
Mr. Cundiff stated that currently, the plan is that the Library Trustees would fund an appraisal for an easement crossing the two abutting properties, so that when they get to the Town Meeting, they would have the ability to have a separate warrant article after the library project. That way, if the library project gets voted up, the easement warrant could come after that.

SCHOOL BUILDING PROJECT
Ms. Brown rejoined the meeting.
Ms. Mosczynski stated that things are moving along. She hopes that the water loop will move forward at Town Meeting. Underground utilities are installed. The water line extension was discussed.

MINUTES
Ms. Brown made a motion to accept the March 7, 2012 Building Facilities Construction Committee meeting minutes as amended. Mr. Sargent seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
Ms. Brown made a motion to accept the April 4, 2012 Building Facilities Construction Committee meeting minutes as presented. Mr. Sargent seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
Approval of the April 18, 2012 Building Facilities Construction Committee meeting minutes was deferred to the next meeting.

UPCOMING MEETINGS
The next meetings will be May 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM and June 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM.

ONGOING PROJECTS
There was a bid opening today for the Municipal Building roof project. Mr. Cundiff stated that if the Committee were comfortable making a recommendation, it would be forwarded to the Board of Selectmen, pending review of references and the criteria in the chart that would be performed by the architect. The apparent low bid is $77,400 from MDM Engineering of Dudley. The bid includes both alternates. The architect’s fee is approximately $4,000.
Ms. Brown made a recommendation that both bid alternates be awarded to MDM Engineering of Dudley pending the favorable review of the criteria listed on the chart. Ms. Howe seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
Mr. Cundiff is still in the process of doing an RFQ for the Hemlock and South Street bridges.
There is nothing new to report regarding the compost facility.
Mr. Cundiff wants to do something on the Main Street sidewalk project.
Regarding the wind project, Mr. Cundiff stated that CDM Smith looked at the electrical room, but they are still finalizing their report. He will add this project to the agenda.

ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Brown made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:41 PM. Ms. Howe seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2012 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest