5/7/2013 - Meeting Minutes

Moderator: Maria Lajoie

5/7/2013 - Meeting Minutes

Postby Maria Lajoie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 am

The meeting was called to order at 7:07pm.

ATTENDANCE
Present: Linda Brown (Chairman), Tracy Sharkey (Vice Chairman), Michael Greco, Jack Pruitte, Stephen Zisk (Conservation Agent) and Maria Lajoie (Administrative Secretary).
Absent: Brandi Van Roo, David Windoloski and David Gallant.

7:07 PM (NOI) #143-0853 PUBLIC HEARING – Hemlock Street at Tinkerville Brook / TOWN OF DOUGLAS
Present was Brandon Faneuf of Eco System Solutions and Matthew Weidele of CDR Maguire, Inc. Also present were abutters Steven & Gail Hutnak. The work consists of the removal of the existing bridge, partial removal of the existing abutments, creation of new abutments, superstructure and improvements to stormwater drainage. Faneuf said they want to remove the existing decking, excavate area behind abutments, dig holes for the new abutments, and install two leaching catch basins on the north side and place rip rap to the brook. A stone rip rap will be placed on the other side toward the brook (0.3% slope). This project is greater than 50-feet of alteration to the banks but complies with the state’s Wildlife Habitat Evaluation (Appendix A) and the Mass Rivers & Stream Crossing Standards. Faneuf states this is a good habitat for small wildlife. Faneuf said they comply with PGP because there will be no fill or alteration to the water and there is no need for equipment or temporary structures and therefore does not require review with the US Army Corps of Engineers. Zisk asked if they would be taking any trees down because it is not noted on the plan. Faneuf said they want to remove two 8” white pines and an oak tree. Brown asked Faneuf to place ribbons around the trees that are to be taken down and to contact the Tree Warden, Leon Mosczynski. Zisk’s comments were reviewed. There was discussion regarding the definition of “low flow”. Faneuf said the work would be done during July or August (“All river work shall be performed during low-flow periods and shall be performed in the dry”.) and will take approximately 2-4 weeks to complete. Cundiff said that the contractor will be bound to what is stated in the Town Contract and the Order of Conditions. Weidele said the bridge will hold 20 tons. Sharkey asked what the project limits were and Faneuf said it will extend approximately 110 feet north and 155 feet south of the bridge. Brown asked if they will be placing netting prior to the project and Weidele said they would be using a net to catch the debris vertical and horizontal (the specs are under “Demolition” in the Contract). There was discussion regarding hydro-sprayed wattles being used. Brown does not like this idea and wants to know exactly what is in this mixture. Sharkey asked how much of an area would the wattles be placed and Weidele said a 10-foot by 5-foot area. Sharkey said this isn’t Main Street and feels that the Commission should try these wattles and see how they like them for future projects.

Cundiff agreed that this is a small area to experiment. Cundiff said abutters Steven & Gail Hutnak are concerned about the boulder in the stream and asked that it be removed or sheared off at the top. The Commission agreed to look at it during the site walk. Hutnak said the boulder in question is located downstream on the left side. The Commission scheduled a site walk for Friday, May 17, 2013, meeting in the Municipal parking lot at 5:45pm. They asked that the trees to be taken down be marked with tape. A Motion was made by Sharkey to continue the Public Hearing on Monday, May 20, 2013 at 7:45pm, seconded by Pruitte. Vote: Unanimous.

8:05 PM (RDA) PUBLIC MEETING – 143 Martin Road / BUZZELL, DAVID
Present was the owner David Buzzell. Buzzell is requesting permission to install a 10-foot by 12-foot shed. The shed will be 50-feet from the buffer zone in the rear of the property. Buzzell will place ¾ stone and blocks under the shed. The Commission had been to this property and is familiar with the layout and said that there was no need for a site walk. After discussion, a Motion was made by Sharkey to close the Public Meeting and issue a Negative Determination of Applicability, seconded by Pruitte. Vote: Unanimous. Lajoie will write the RDA for the Commission to sign.

DISCUSSION:
1. Meeting Minutes of 4/16/13. After review, a Motion was made by Sharkey to approve the Meeting Minutes of April 16, 2013, as amended, seconded by Greco. Vote: Unanimous.
2. Sign: Certificate of Compliance: Kenneth & Amy Rawlings, 58 Lakeshore Drive. Brown and Zisk did a site walk and Zisk showed the members pictures of the property. The members had no issues. A Motion was made by Sharkey to issue a Certificate of Compliance to Kenneth & Amy Rawlings, 58 Lakeshore Drive, seconded by Pruitte. Vote: Unanimous.
3. Site Walk: 94 Island Road. The Commission scheduled a site walk on Friday, May 17, 2013 at 6:00pm.
4. Auction Tax Title Properties. The Commission will review these properties.

8:25 PM (RDA) PUBLIC MEETING – 1 Laurel Glades / CORREIA, DANIEL
Present was the owner Daniel Correia. Correia is requesting permission to repair and rebuild his existing stone wall along the shoreline using existing stones in order to stop further erosion as well as to prevent trees whose roots have been exposed by erosion from becoming further damaged and would like to use gravel behind the wall for drainage and to seed and loam the disturbed areas. Correia wants to do this work now during the drawdown (when the water is low) and said he would not be using any machinery. Correia said that the wall will be 3-feet high and 2-feet thick. The Commission had no concerns but said that straw bales and silt fence must be placed.


A Motion was made by Sharkey to close the Public Meeting and issue a Negative Determination of Applicability with the condition that straw bales and silt fence be placed and Zisk contacted prior to the commencement of work, seconded by Pruitte. Vote: Unanimous. Lajoie will write the RDA for the Commission to sign.

ADJOURNMENT
At 8:45pm, a Motion was made by Sharkey to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Pruitte. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Maria D. Lajoie
Administrative Secretary
Maria Lajoie
Maria Lajoie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Community Development Department

Return to 2013 Conservation Commission Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron