July 17, 2013 BuildingFacilities Construction Comm

Moderator: Mary Wright

July 17, 2013 BuildingFacilities Construction Comm

Postby Mary Wright » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:20 pm

BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
JULY 17, 2013

A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on
July 17, 2013 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Holland called the meeting to order at 7:08 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Sean Holland (Chairman), Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairman), Linda Brown, Ed Gouin, William Cundiff (Town Engineer)
ABSENT: Virginia Howe, Matt Sargent

REAPPOINTMENTS
Mr. Cundiff announced that the following committee members were reappointed for another three-year term: Shirley Mosczynski, Virginia Howe and Matt Sargent.

REORGANIZE
This item was deferred to the next meeting.

SCHOOL BUILDING PROJECT
Ms. Mosczynski explained the pH and moisture issues that came up related to flooring. She stated that they could not agree on the adhesive that they were going to put down, but they finally came to an agreement with the contractor. Last Thursday’s site walk showed things moving along. Mr. Cundiff stated that last week they had 1.5 floors done.
Ms. Mosczynski stated that the School Committee turned over the middle school to the School Building Committee to start the renovations. They started working on the roadway. The windows have been tested. A few windows had issues and will be repaired and retested. There will be a site walk for both schools tomorrow at 5:00 PM.
Some sheets for the siding, mainly for those on the corners, had not come in; however that issue will not affect occupancy.
The outside hook ups for the computers may not be ready for the end of August.
The water line loop is finished and has passed testing.
By the end August, the new building should be finalized. The project is still under budget.

HEMLOCK STREET BRIDGE
Mr. Cundiff stated that the design is complete and currently out to bid. It was advertised on July 10, 2013 and budgets are due August 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM at Town Hall. There will be a site walk on July 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM. They currently have 12 people that have taken out contract documents.
Mr. Cundiff is concerned about the status of the easements. He has not been able to get town counsel to draft the easement documents to convey to the owners. Mr. Cundiff will relay his concerns to Michael Guzinski, Town Administrator.

SOUTH STREET BRIDGE
Mr. Holland recused himself. Ms. Mosczynski chaired this discussion. Mr. Cundiff stated that he received proposals from Maguire and Greenman-Pederson, Inc. (GPI) Mr. Cundiff reviewed a chart that was included in the packet. The project is considered a horizontal construction project.
Mr. Cundiff and the committee reviewed both proposals. Maguire’s proposal for the design was for $86,902.08. Their rough estimate for the whole project was $250,000. GPI’s proposal was for $149,100. A discussion was held. Mr. John Furno had indicated to Mr. Cundiff that he is comfortable that Maguire could do the job, but he is a bit concerned because Mr. Matt Rydell is no longer with the company.
Mr. Gouin asked regarding the nature of change orders for the Hemlock Street Bridge Project. Mr. Cundiff replied that the change orders were related to scheduling issues.
Mr. Cundiff spoke about state and federal funding availability for the project. A discussion was held.
Mr. Gouin made a motion to recommend Greenman-Pederson, Inc. to the Highway Superintendent as the design firm for the South Street Bridge project, in the event that they are willing to develop a more efficient cost proposal. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

MINUTES
Mr. Holland rejoined the meeting and resumed as Chairman.
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to accept the March 20, 2013 Building Facilities Construction Committee meeting minutes as presented. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

UPCOMING MEETINGS
The next meetings will be August 21, 2013 and September 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM.

ONGOING PROJECTS
Solar Project(s): Mr. Cundiff stated that a solar vendor approached the town to propose putting solar panels on all of the school buildings. They will schedule a site walk next week with the school administration to tour the buildings. Mr. Cundiff will email the committee with the site walk details.
Landfill: Mr. Cundiff spoke with CDM informally, who did not think it would be a good idea at this point.
Library ADA Project: Mr. Cundiff has heard that the Library Trustees are looking to segment the project.

ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:48 PM. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2013 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron