3/20/14 SBC Meeting

3/20/14 SBC Meeting

Postby Mary Wright » Sun May 22, 2016 3:42 pm

MARCH 20, 2014

A meeting of the Douglas School Building Committee (SBC) was held on Thursday, March 20, 2014 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Cohen called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM.

Voting: Mitch Cohen (Chairman), Leslie Breault, Paula Brouillette, Nancy Lane, Shirley Mosczynski
Non-Voting: Cortney Keegan, Michael Guzinski (Town Administrator), William Cundiff (Town Engineer)
Project Staff: Tom Ellis, Leno Filippi, Craig DiCarlo
ABSENT: Melissa Gouin, Scott Yacino

Approval of School Building Committee Minutes
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to accept the February 27, 2014 School Building Committee Meeting minutes with Heery edits, as presented. Ms. Breault seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Approval of Open Invoices-Review of Invoices on Vouchers
Mr. Cohen stated that, for the elementary school, there is a $1,000 invoice for DiNisco for design of wood sheds, and an approximately $6,800 invoice for technology. For the middle school, there is an invoice for basic services for DiNisco. Mr. Cundiff recommended approval of those invoices.

Expense/Budget Update
Project Budget Summary
Budget Revision Requests (BRR) for ES and MS Projects
Mr. Ellis has met with Jeanne Lovett, Finance Director, Mr. Cohen and Mr. Cundiff and he has prepared some BRRs for both schools to pick up a couple items that needed to be updated for budgeting. For the middle school (MS), there were a couple items for some additional basic services. He spoke with Donna DiNisco today about issuing some revised amendments to zero out the Time and Materials Additional Services Request for the Design Team and moving those monies back into Contingency. Since the last meeting, he and Carol Pesaturo, Heery Project Financial Administrator, corrected a few minor issues in some of the budget spreadsheet columns.
The next BRR will be made once the Change Orders (CO) Review for COs through #21 by the MSBA is done. Paul Flynn of MSBA will be out next week to work on that review.
Ms. Brouillette stated that the Town may need to borrow the full $3.5 million as a remainder of the Town’s cost because the maximum grant amount has not been realized.

Preparations for Project Close Out
Mr. Cohen stated that Ms. Lovett and Mr. Guzinski have asked the SBC to prepare for the final bonding of the project, to be issued in July. They need a final number by their June meeting. The current estimated date for Substantial Completion (SC) for the MS is July 1, 2014. Costs need to be estimated going forward to be sure enough money is borrowed.
The tentative timeline shows that approval of any new additional work charged against the elementary school (ES) budget will be closed out at the next meeting, with the exception of the fields and some roof work. The same process of going line by line will be started on the MS at May meeting. The total amount of MSBA reimbursement is unknown. A buffer will need to be included for the MS and the field work. A discussion was held.
Mr. Filippi said that Release of Liens of the contractor will not be known. Mr. Ellis needs to know exactly what Travelers will pay for regarding the claims. He wants the BRRs signed off so they can go in. Mr. Cohen explained for the record, that the SBC’s budget detail needs to match to MSBA-the state’s budget detail. They are spending less in legal fees, but they are spending more in professional service fees, so they are transferring from one line to the other and requesting MSBA to update their line item also. The Town has a standard contract for legal services.
Ms. Breault made a motion to approve the Budget Revision Request #3 for the elementary school as presented. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the Budget Revision Request #2 for the middle school as presented. Ms. Breault seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
Mr. Cohen asked that any additional requests relating to the ES building, especially the interior, be presented for presentation and action at the next regular SBC meeting on April 17, 2014. Mr. Filippi asked for a list from the School Dept. of additional items they would like to see in the building so that he can take action on them in this contract or another contract.

Schedule Update
Total Program Schedule
Mr. Ellis stated the updated schedule they received from CTA has been issued. They are in the process of analyzing that schedule. This schedule has been sent to Travelers. He met with Paul DuRoss today to go over the general issues with the schedule. He hopes that the date of July 1, 2014 can still be bettered.
Mr. Ellis stated that CTA is starting to close up the ceilings and they are moving forward with a lot of the finish work. Mr. DiCarlo stated that flooring is being installed, some of the ceiling grid is installed, a lot of millwork is in place, light fixtures are going in, lockers are being painted, and mechanical screens are done on the roof.
Mr. Ellis stated that they need a clear understanding of what Travelers will commit to with respect to the reimbursement of Owner expenses. He stated that he feels they should sit down with counsel and work through some issues related to where the project is contractually with CTA because they are beyond the official date of Substantial Completion. Liquidated Damages are unresolved at this point.
They will continue on with an anticipated delivery of FF&E starting in early June. The goal is to have all the furniture moved in so that when school is out, the move can take place.
The date to release the technology procurement has not been established. Mr. Ellis would like to ask Wally Computer, the primary IT systems vendor, to receive the equipment at the shop where he can start programming and triaging and bringing the equipment over as he can.

MSBA Issues
Mr. Ellis stated that MSBA is reviewing Change Orders and he will have that response back soon.

OPM Issues
Contract Amendment-time extension and water damage delay
Mr. Ellis stated that they have notified CTA that they are responsible for the costs for having the architect come back and do punchlist review and follow up work beyond 60 days from SC. They (DDP) have continued to work on this project, even without official amendment authorization. DiNisco has invoiced over $10,000 through the end of February. Mr. Ellis has put in the budget to back charge CTA $25,000. The agreement with Travelers is that DiNisco and Heery will exhaust their basic services fees for construction administration (CA) as of the end of January and then pick up the basic services for close-out once SC is reached. The costs for additional CA services will be borne by the Owner through February 21, 2014 and then presented to Travelers for reimbursement for costs after that time period.
Mr. Cohen mentioned that there will be another article at the May Special Town Meeting to transfer insurance proceeds.
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve Extra Services Request ES-XS009, for an hourly basis not to exceed $25,000 for DiNisco relative to close-out costs beyond 60 days after Substantial Completion for the elementary school. Ms. Lane seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Design Issues
Site: Cistern/Irrigation System Installation
Mr. Filippi stated that they have been trying to get a final cost from CTA to replace the tank. Values started at $75,000, but they are now anticipating $55,000-$60,000 for a new tank and $20,000 for the shoring. The repair cost would be anticipated at $15,000-$20,000, with a for 10 years. A discussion was held. It was the consensus of the committee to go with the repair option and not install a hatch on the tank, which would cost an additional $5,000 to $10,000.
Mr. Filippi will forward the specifications and the names of some vendors to the committee.
Ms. Lane made a motion to authorize up to $20,000 for the repair of the cistern from the elementary school Construction Contingency. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
Storage Building Procurement Update
Mr. Filippi stated that an advertisement will reach the papers next week. All the documents are ready to go. He hopes to receive bids the first week of April. After the Town awards the shed contract, the same contractor may be able to include fixing up the red shed.
Elementary School: AC System for IDF Rooms-Cost/Budget Approval
Mr. DiCarlo stated that they are waiting for a revised PCO after making a small, cost-saving adjustment to the design.
Gym Roof Snow Guards
Mr. Filippi stated that they are working on a number of different options and re-evaluating to be sure that what was specified was actually installed. They (DDP) will run the options by the structural engineer and membrane manufacturer. They will be meeting next week.
Boiler System Issues Update-Make-Up Air/Induction Fan
Mr. DiCarlo stated that an induction fan has been selected and approved, and a CCD has been issued to the contractor to purchase and install the fan at the elementary school.
Mr. Cohen brought up the subject of carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. Mr. DiCarlo stated that code does not require CO detectors. DDP’s consultant estimates that it would cost $2,000 per unit to be installed and hardwired to the fire alarm system. Ms. Lane has placed some standard wall outlet plug-in CO detectors in the hallways on each floor of the ES; one is in the boiler room. Ms. Lane would like detectors hardwired in every building and connected to the fire alarm system. A discussion was held. Mr. Cohen stated that the new kitchen in the elementary school does have a CO detector as part of the equipment specification. Mr. Filippi will put together a fee proposal to make a recommendation as to the number and location of detectors. The committee would like to be sure that the Fire Chief is involved in the recommendation.
Middle School- AC System for IDF Rooms-Cost/Budget Approval
Mr. DiCarlo stated that a study is being done at the middle school to determine if an induction fan will be needed for the boiler system there.

Construction Issues
Elementary School: Punch List Update
Mr. DiCarlo stated that they are now scheduling a day for DiNisco and CTA to go out and check off the items that are done on the interior Punch List. On the exterior, the north, east, west and south elevations and the metal panels and the gym have all been Punch Listed. Today the roof has been Punch Listed. The roof needs to be cleaned. Ms. Lane asked that that be done when school is not in session.
Middle School: Schedule Update
There was no further discussion.

Construction Modifications/Pending Change Orders
Mr. Ellis stated that there should be two Change Orders at the next meeting, one for each school.

FF&E Procurement
There was no further discussion.

Technology Procurement
There was no discussion.

Move Management Services Procurement
Ms. Keegan and Mr. Ellis are going to review the budget.

Other Business:
Middle School Gym Roof Leak Repairs and Insurance Claim Update-Final Offer of Settlement
Mr. Cohen reviewed the claim and the negotiations. Travelers is offering $76,221.40. The total settlement is in the range of $400,000.
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to authorize Michael Guzinski to settle on the claim of the middle school gym roof leak of last year on behalf of the committee as submitted by Travelers. Ms. Lane seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
Middle School Classroom Wing Water Infiltration Insurance Claim Update-Current Discussions with Travelers
Mr. Ellis will push to have a meeting to settle what Travelers is covering.
Builders Risk Insurance Policy-Extension of Coverage Term
Mr. Cohen handed out a copy of an email from Mr. Guzinski. He explained that the current policy term expires in early April.
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to authorize up to $10,000 from middle school Construction Contingency for Builders Risk Insurance Policy extension and authorize Michael Guzinski to sign that extension on the behalf of the committee. Ms. Breault seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Open Session for topics not reasonably anticipated 48 hours in advance of meeting.
Schedule of Upcoming SBC Meetings and Project Events:
Regularly scheduled SBC meeting – April 17, 2014, April 3, 2014 if needed.
Future MSBA Site Visit – March 27, 2014.

Ms. Lane made a motion to adjourn the School Building Committee meeting at 9:58 PM. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to School Building Committee Minutes - 2014

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest