April 15, 2015 BFCC Meeting

Moderators: Mary Wright, Maria Lajoie

April 15, 2015 BFCC Meeting

Postby Mary Wright » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:59 pm

BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
APRIL 15, 2015

A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on
April 15, 2015 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Holland called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Sean Holland (Chairman), Michael Fitzpatrick, Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairperson), Matt Sargent, William Cundiff (Town Engineer)
ABSENT: Linda Brown-Excused, Virginia Howe-Excused

1. MUNICIPAL BUILDING & PRIMARY SCHOOL ROOF CAPITAL PROJECTS
George O’Neil of Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects (GRLA) stated that they have completed the field surveys of the primary school and municipal gym roofs and took some core samples. He presented a schematic breakdown of the makeup of the roofs. At the gym, many of the facets are heavily corroded. He anticipates stripping the roof system right to the deck. He recommends installing rain gutters and downspouts.
The primary school roof should be stripped to the deck as well. He recommended a Carlisle roofing system. He suggested performing a pull-out test. A discussion was held regarding a fastened vs. fully adhered roof. Town insurance does not have more rigorous uplift requirements than the warranty.
Mr. O’Neil stated that the window casements in the Police Dept. are beyond their serviceable life. He recommended 8 over 8 double hung windows, such as are on the second floor. He would like to try to relocate the three louvered vents on the street side. There is an abandoned duct running along the east side, which Mr. O’Neil recommended getting rid of. A similar condition exists on the west side, however the duct is active. The ceiling system is low. On the rear side of the building, there are a number of louvered vents. He reviewed the challenges. A discussion was held regarding the operation of the double hung windows with the vents coming through them.
Mr. O’Neil will follow up with Chief Foley regarding the window in the locker room. The preference is to get a full-sized window. It was the consensus of the BFCC to remove the unutilized duct, taper up the tile and softening at the windows.
Regarding the heating system in the municipal building, Mr. O’Neil recommended removing the two boilers and replacing them with a new boiler system. There will be a switch from steam to hot water. There is some asbestos to be removed. The supply piping is fine to reuse, however the common safe is too undersized for hot water return. New hot water coils will be used. The roof units are near the end of their life. Mr. O’Neil will prepare a detailed cost estimate. It was decided to change the May 20, 2015 BFCC meeting to May 27, 2015.
Mr. Cundiff wants to be sure that prequalifying subcontractors be accounted for in the schedule. Mr. O’Neil will review that. Mr. Cundiff and Mr. O’Neil agreed that hazardous materials should be investigated on the front end. Mr. O’Neil will provide a scope of what an environmentalist needs to investigate, and Mr. Cundiff will solicit pricing.
By the next meeting, removal of the inactive duct will be investigated, they will have tighter information on the roof systems, and they will have addendums or changes to the contract. Mr. Cundiff will talk to town counsel.
Mr. O’Neil left the meeting

2. GREEN ENERGY
Kevin Kelly, Owner, Michael Hedges, Sabin Rossi and Dave Cohen of Power Management joined the meeting. Mr. Cundiff said he was contacted by Power Management about the landfill adjacent to the fire station. The ability of the existing cap to work well with a solar array has been questioned. Mr. Cundiff informed the Board of Health that they were going to be discussing this tonight.
Mr. Cohen talked about the solar landfill and the cap challenges, how to get vendors in to bid on the project, and all that Power Management can do for Douglas.
Mr. Kelly gave an overview of Power Management, which is an energy service company that services 23,000 commercial accounts in the United States. They could create a plan that helps lower the town’s kilowatts. He explained how the process works. The project is paid off with savings. Douglas would not spend any money on engineering. The client is never charged for anything. Power Management receives a fee from the vendor. They go through an RFP. They help the town with a contract.
Regarding solar, ten cents per watt is Power Management’s profit on a project. Solar is a land lease, which may be an issue for the Town. Available space at the landfill is approximately four acres.
Power Management would investigate all of the power needs of the Town, figure out where all of the best deals are, how electricity is being purchased, and negotiate the best deals for all the power sources. They are not limited to solar. If the landfill cap is determined to be inadequate, then it would cost the Town money. Mr. Cundiff said that the cap was inspected Tuesday, but the report is not out yet.
In order to proceed, the BFCC would come to an agreement to bring to the Board of Selectmen (BOS) who would direct them to proceed. A discussion was held regarding including the current Municipal Building roof project with putting solar on the roof.
Power Management left the meeting.
Mr. Holland is not opposed to what they presented. Mr. Cundiff spoke in favor of Power Management. Mr. Cundiff has contacted town counsel for their opinion.
Mr. Fitzpatrick asked Mr. Cundiff to explore other companies that do guaranteed performance contracting. Mr. Cundiff stated that he feels there are other like companies, but they are connected to a specific vendor. Mr. Cundiff will get a copy of Power Management’s agreement with Quincy and run it by town counsel. He will do additional research on towns and clients to see what edits they made to their contracts.
It was decided to meet in two weeks on April 29, 2015 to further discuss this issue with more data and make a recommendation to the BOS. Mr. Cundiff will ask Mr. Guzinski to attend this meeting to help with the decision.

3. SIMON FAIRFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY
Mr. Cundiff stated that the Library Trustees allocated $1,000 to have Durland van Voorhis update their cost estimate to current cost values. That update projected a cost increase from $2.2 million to almost $2.4 million for the equivalent scope of project. However, the project is being delayed. They are no longer on the warrant for the Town Meeting.

4. SCHOOL BUILDING PROJECT
Ms. Mosczynski stated that the School Building Committee (SBC) is meeting tomorrow afternoon at 4:30 PM for a site walk. They will be looking at some of the check off items to see whether or not they want to pursue completion of those items. Also, a satisfactory settlement has been reached in the negotiations for the insurance costs. Mr. Cundiff said they are waiting for a final number from Travelers. They have agreed on the approach, in concept. The goal is to have a final number for the Annual Town Meeting.

5. MINUTES
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the March 25, 2015 BFCC meeting minutes as presented. Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

6. OPEN SESSION
Regarding the Old Grammar School, Mr. Cundiff was not at the last meeting last Thursday, so he does not know the recommendations. He does not believe they had a quorum at that meeting. That committee was supposed to discuss how to make the RFP more developer-friendly. They had someone interested in the school, but they did not bid because they thought they had to submit formal architectural drawings. Mr. Cundiff thinks the committee will re-issue the RFP. They may have to have a Special Town Meeting, which a bidder would bear the cost for.
Mr. Cundiff spoke about Gleason Court being laid out as a public way.

7. ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 9:20 PM. Mr. Sargent seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2015 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest