July 29, 2015 BFCC Meeting

Moderators: Mary Wright, Maria Lajoie

July 29, 2015 BFCC Meeting

Postby Mary Wright » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:49 am

BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
JULY 29, 2015

A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on
July 29, 2015 at the Municipal Center. Ms. Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Linda Brown, Michael Fitzpatrick, Virginia Howe, Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairperson), Matt Sargent, William Cundiff (Town Engineer)
ABSENT: Sean Holland (Chairman-Excused)

1. MUNICIPAL CENTER IMPROVEMENT PROJECT
Mr. Cundiff stated that Adam Furno, Facilities Maintenance Manager, who was present at the meeting, performed a site walk with the architect and the subcontractor for the HVAC system and electrical.
Mr. Furno gave an overview of the site walk. They toured the basement, checked the piping and checked for asbestos. It was determined that the heating system could not remain running while it was being worked on. The system needs to be fired up in early October. Based on the lead time for the new system, it would not arrive on site until November 24, 2015. The architect suggested a spring schedule with a starting date of April 4, 2016 and finishing July 1, 2016. Mr. Cundiff suggested moving forward in that direction. The BFCC was in agreement.
Mr. Cundiff stated that he has updated Michael Guzinski, Town Administrator. Mr. Guzinski has signed off on the breakout of the additional service authorization and it has been sent to Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects (GRLA).
The bidding phase would run from July 30, 2015 to September 7, 2015. Mr. Fitzpatrick is concerned that material prices may increase in the spring. Mr. Cundiff suggested that the materials will be ordered this year, and Mr. Furno will take delivery of the materials and store them until it is time for installation. The BFCC was in agreement to push the project off until spring.
The windows are a separate project. Mr. Furno said that the gym roof will also be pushed off until the spring. The same case may be true for the school roof.
Mr. Cundiff reviewed the email from the architect. There was one comment regarding having one larger boiler as opposed to two smaller boilers. The advantage of having two smaller boilers is that they can operate on an alternating basis, and if one is not working, as has been the case for at least ten years, the other boiler can heat the building. The architect proposed designing a system with a single larger boiler for $30,000 as opposed to $40,000 for two boilers. They would structure the bid document such that the first bid alternate would be to have two boilers. The add-alternates have to be taken sequentially. Alternate 2 currently has to do with the ventilation in the gym. A discussion was held, including an explanation of the State procurement laws. It was the consensus of the BFCC to go with one boiler with the only alternate to be the ventilation in the gym.
The architect recommended that a roof be constructed above the intake louver that is at ground level on the exterior of the building. The architect would like this added to the base scope. A discussion was held. The BFCC adjourned for several minutes to view the site in question. The BFCC discussed having GRLA review the proposal and consider removing the small existing knee wall. Mr. Cundiff will talk with John Furno, Highway Dept. Superintendent about having the Highway Dept. excavate the slope adjacent to the wall and putting up a Versa-lok retaining wall. The BFCC would like more options from GRLA.
The last item from the email regarded the concrete slab/rib ceiling above the boiler. The architect proposed taking a core of the concrete to be sure it meets code requirements. The BFCC asked for a written proposal with a price for that work. Mr. Cundiff will ask Adelle Reynolds, Building Commissioner, for her opinion.
Mr. Cundiff spoke with TRC who inquired about sampling the Police Dept. windows for hazardous materials. Mr. Cundiff said that the cost of sampling and analytical for those windows is not significant, so he told TRC to plan on doing the sampling for the Police Dept. windows as well. Mr. Furno is scheduled to meet with them Friday. It was decided to hold off on a decision on the boiler room ceiling until after the testing is done to see if there is asbestos in the ceiling.
Mr. Cundiff asked if they could stipulate in the bid documents that the heating system be run uninterrupted between October 1, 2015 and the start of the installation. He feels the contractor should have the opportunity to provide heat in an alternative way. He feels the contractor would be responsible for the existing heating system operation. Mr. Fitzpatrick stated that you need to pay a premium for that service. Mr. Cundiff wants to avoid having two different contractors working in the same area, should there be a problem with the old system during the installation of the new system. Mr. Cundiff next suggested they address the concern by having the contractor stipulate the timeframe when the abatement can occur. Mr. Cundiff will address this concern with George O’Neil of GRLA.
There was a question about whether or not the people working in the offices should be CORI checked. It is not a State requirement.
Mr. Cundiff stated that MMA and MAIA are putting together a program to help reimburse towns for boiler and burner projects.
Mr. Cundiff stated that Additional Services Authorization (ASA) #2 for the fire alarm system could be added to this scope. $36,000 was allocated and authorized at Town Meeting. However, the design fee on ASA #2 was significant. Mr. Cundiff will ask GRLA to see what they can do to reduce their design scope.

2. ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Howe made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:19 PM. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2015 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron