August 19, 2015 BFCC meeting

Moderators: Mary Wright, Maria Lajoie

August 19, 2015 BFCC meeting

Postby Mary Wright » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:11 pm

BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
AUGUST 19, 2015

A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on
August 19, 2015 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Holland called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Sean Holland (Chairman), Linda Brown, Michael Fitzpatrick, Virginia Howe, Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairperson), Matt Sargent
NON-VOTING: William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Jeff Kollett (School Facilities Manager)
ABSENT:

1. GREEN ENERGY
Mr. Cundiff stated that Sun Edison went before the Board of Health and they are working with their consultant to evaluate the condition of the landfill cap. Based on that recommendation, the BOH will decide if they want to recommend leasing the cap to the solar company.

2. LIBRARY PROJECT
Mr. Cundiff stated that he received correspondence from the new Library Director, Justin Snook, who said that he is going to meet with Charlie Van Voorhis to discuss some concept revisions to the layout plan. Mr. Snook will attend the next BFCC meeting.
Mr. Cundiff stated that he received a draft easement plan from the survey company that the Library Trustees hired. The easement provides access across abutting properties. He asked for feedback from the BFCC. He has forwarded a copy to the Library Trustees for review.
Mr. Cundiff does not believe ownership of maintenance for the right-of-way has been discussed.

3. MUNICIPAL CENTER AND PRIMARY SCHOOL ROOF CAPITAL PROJECTS
George O’Neil of Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects (GRLA) joined the meeting. Mr. Cundiff wrote a summary of what was discussed at the last meeting and forwarded it to Mr. O’Neil. He reviewed the summary.
Mr. O’Neil has spoken with Tom Roche of TRC who forwarded a preliminary report to the BFCC. They want to include abatement into each project. Once TRC submits their specification and schedule, it will be broken down into two aspects: HVAC and windows plus roof.
Mr. O’Neil continued with responses to Mr. Cundiff’s summary. There is no asbestos in the plaster ceiling. They recommend doing a core of the boiler room cement slab at a cost of $700. Mr. Cundiff asked if this was required. Mr. Cundiff spoke with Adelle Reynolds, Building Commissioner, who said that she was going to rely on the recommendations from Mr. O’Neil. Mr. O’Neil stated that the boiler room should have a 1-hour rating and it has been breached. It is an existing, nonconforming condition. They could patch the opening as it is, however a core sample would tell him definitively if the ceiling has a 1-hour rating. It was the consensus of the BFCC to do the core sample.
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the suggested $700 coring. Ms. Howe seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous. Mr. O’Neil will get a formal proposal to Mr. Cundiff.
Mr. O’Neil stated that going with a single boiler saves approximately $10,000 and the controls that come with it include a notification. An alarm/notification system was discussed.
Mr. O’Neil has met with Adam Furno, Facilities Maintenance Manager. They cannot run parallel HVAC systems and there is not enough time to install the new system before the temperature turns cold. The plan is to keep the existing system running for one more season and accomplish the changeover in the spring.
Mr. O’Neil said that the new configuration uses the large louver on the west side of the building as intake for the boiler and the gym. The bottom of the louver is at grade. During a heavy winter, it could be covered with snow. He approves of the plan to have the Highway Dept. reconfigure that area. Mr. O’Neil will provide a cross-section design and budget for materials. Materials would be included as part of the project cost.
Mr. O’Neil stated that the mechanical engineer was concerned about the height of the exhaust for the emergency generator. In the drawings is an extension of that existing exhaust pipe.
Mr. O’Neil said that one way to reduce the scope is to have the Town take care of the bidding component.
Mr. O’Neil suggested two options for the windows. Option A: the entire window aperture is a slider. Option B: single hung window. He would recommend an aluminum window. There is not much difference in the price. He will get the exact prices to Mr. Cundiff. It was the consensus of the BFCC to go with the slider, as long as the cost of Option A is not significantly more than Option B.
Once Mr. O’Neil receives the environmental report, he can put the HVAC out to bid; same with the windows and the roof. He will be packaging the window and roof together. He has received the feedback from Town Counsel. Mr. Cundiff asked for an updated schedule on the roofs and the bid documents as soon as they were available.
Mr. O’Neil left the meeting.

4. SCHOOL BUILDING PROJECT
Ms. Mosczynski stated that the buildings are in good shape. Meetings of the School Building Committee are being held as needed. The remaining issues have to do with negotiations only. Mr. Cundiff stated that they are finalizing the irrigation shed tomorrow. A few incomplete items will be negotiated.
Significant favorable progress is being made with the insurance company on the water leak claim.

5. MEETING MINUTES: June 10, June 24, July 8 and July 29, 2015
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the June 10, 2015 BFCC meeting minutes as amended. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Aye-5, Mr. Sargent abstained.
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the June 24, 2015 BFCC meeting minutes as presented. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
Approval of the July 8, 2015 and July 29, 2015 BFCC meeting minutes was deferred to the next meeting.

6. ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Brown made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:10 PM. Ms. Howe seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2015 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron