September 30, 2015 BFCC meeting

Moderators: Mary Wright, Maria Lajoie

September 30, 2015 BFCC meeting

Postby Mary Wright » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:12 pm

BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
SEPTEMBER 30, 2015

A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on
September 30, 2015 at the Municipal Center. Ms. Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Linda Brown, Michael Fitzpatrick, Virginia Howe, Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairperson), Matt Sargent
NON-VOTING: William Cundiff (Town Engineer)
ABSENT: Sean Holland (Chairman-Excused)

1. LIBRARY PROJECT
Justin Snook, Library Director and Joe Biagioni, Chairman of the Library Trustees joined the meeting. Mr. Snook met with architect Charlie Van Voorhis regarding making some minor revisions to the library plans. The Trustees have approved the revisions and if approved, Mr. Van Voorhis will make the changes to the plans free of charge. The revisions would save $33,000 because a restroom would be removed on the second floor.
Regarding the current plans, Mr. Snook’s major concern was that they had two major points of circulation. The library does not have the staff to support both and also the circulation desk should be located near the main egress and parking lot in the back.
The revisions move the circulation desk downstairs where the elevator machinery was. The elevator machinery was moved to the other side of the wall where there is currently meeting space. A portion of the collection space was partitioned off for storage space. Upstairs, a restroom was removed. The current circulation office could become a meeting room. The elevator cannot be extended up to the mezzanine without adding to the scope of the project. There are no additions to the building. Current storage space will be converted into public space and stacks. Only 60% of the building is currently being used. The estimated cost of the project is approximately $2.3 million. A discussion was held.
Mr. Cundiff included a sketch plan from Guerriere and Halnon regarding the easement across the two properties. An abutter visited Mr. Cundiff yesterday, and he wanted to look at the plan. Feedback should be on hold until Mr. Cundiff hears back from the abutter. The abutter may want to consolidate other easements into this same easement.
Mr. Biagioni stated that the Library Trustees would like to present the plan at the spring town meeting. Mr. Snook stated that he is putting much of his energy into fundraising for this project.
It was the consensus of the BFCC to go ahead with the revised plans. Mr. Biagioni will authorize Mr. Van Voorhis to revise the plans, and Mr. Cundiff asked for a copy of those plans. Mr. Cundiff asked to meet with Mr. Biagioni to talk about the abutter’s issues.
Mr. Snook and Mr. Biagioni left the meeting.

2. MUNICIPAL CENTER AND PRIMARY SCHOOL ROOF CAPITAL PROJECTS
Mr. Cundiff presented an email from Tom Roche of TRC with a summary of testing results. They did find asbestos in a number of places. There was no asbestos at the primary school. TRC will prepare some cost estimates and specifications for removal and put them together in the bid packet. A report should have been obtained a week ago. Bid documents cannot be put together without this component. If the cost is substantial, funds may have to be requested at the fall town meeting in November. An article for the warrant will need to be submitted by mid-October.
Mr. Cundiff received an update from George O’Neil of Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects (GRLA). They are planning on submitting final documents on October 2, 2015. They are waiting for the environmental aspect. Mr. Cundiff informed Mr. O’Neil that the Douglas Highway Dept. will be taking care of the segmental retaining wall in the back. Mr. O’Neil provided the core sampling results, and he had some minor recommendations to bring everything up to fire rated standards. Mr. O’Neil is still pricing the windows.
$7,000 was approved for the fire alarm system at the last town meeting. The estimate came in at approximately $14,000. GRLA has not been authorized to proceed. Mr. O’Neil suggested having the design prepared by GRLA’s sub-consultant, GGD. Mr. O’Neil asked GGD to submit a proposal to the BFCC for review.
Mr. O’Neil sent Mr. Cundiff a couple of updated schedules.

3. GREEN ENERGY
Mr. Cundiff spoke with the Board of Health (BOH) about the landfill issue and the solar proposal. The BOH wants to make some improvements to the cap on the landfill before they consider a proposal for solar.

4. SCHOOL BUILDING PROJECT
Ms. Mosczynski stated that the School Building Committee (SBC) has not been meeting and will not meet unless there are items to address. Insurance funds were received last week. There are only a few minor outstanding issues.

5. MEETING MINUTES: July 8, 2015, July 29, 2015, August 19, 2015
Ms. Brown made a motion to approve the July 8, 2015 BFCC meeting minutes as amended. Ms. Howe seconded the motion. Vote: Aye-4, Mr. Sargent abstained.
Ms. Brown made a motion to approve the July 29, 2015 BFCC meeting minutes as presented. Ms. Howe seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
Approval of the August 19, 2015 BFCC meeting minutes was deferred to the next meeting.

6. ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Howe made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:40 PM. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2015 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron