November 16, 2016 BFCC meeting

Moderators: Mary Wright, Maria Lajoie

November 16, 2016 BFCC meeting

Postby Mary Wright » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:58 pm

BUILDING & FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
NOVEMBER 16, 2016

A meeting of the Building & Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on
November 16, 2016 at the Municipal Center. Ms. Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 7:06 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Linda Brown, Michael Fitzpatrick, Virginia Howe, Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairperson), Rebekka O’Melia
NON-VOTING: William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Jeff Kollett (School Maintenance Manager-left 7:41 PM)
ABSENT: Sean Holland (Chairman – Excused)

1. MUNICIPAL CENTER AND PRIMARY SCHOOL ROOF CAPITAL PROJECTS
-Municipal HVAC Project
Mr. Cundiff stated that Riverdale Plumbing and Heating have been working on the punch list items and have submitted the last pay req., which George O’Neil of Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects (GRLA) is in the process of reviewing. Mr. O’Neil stated that there are a few outstanding punch list items that may have been completed tonight. Close out items have been submitted to Mr. O’Neil. When the roof contractor is ready with his punch list, Mr. O’Neil will perform a combined final punch list inspection. The balance on the project is roughly $55,000.
Mr. Fitzpatrick asked if an efficiency test was going to be done. Mr. O’Neil will ask.
Mr. Kollett explained issues they had with the pumps at the middle school and the solution.
-Municipal Roof and Windows and Primary School Roof Projects
Mr. Cundiff stated that the primary school is complete, and the gym roof is in the process of being finalized. He has received the first pay req.
Mr. O’Neil is waiting for the roofing manufacturer to do the final inspection. Regarding potential damage from moisture from water leaks, the contractor has approached a few firms to do third party testing.

2. GREEN ENERGY
Mr. Cundiff presented the BFCC with information from the Green Communities website giving an overview of the program.
The current base code requirements meet the base code requirements. Mr. Fitzpatrick stated that the code will get tighter with the stretch code, but the impact will be found by the building community, not the Town. He does not feel they have enough information to push forward. He is concerned about the financial impact to the Town. He would like to hear a recommendation from the Town Administrator.
Ms. O’Melia would like to see a copy of Green Communities’ Regional Coordinator Kelly Brown’s PowerPoint presentation. Mr. Cundiff will ask Kelly Brown to email him the presentation, and he will post it on the website.
The BFCC reviewed the five Green Community criteria. Mr. Cundiff believes the following criteria have been met: 1) As-of-right sighting for renewable energy or alternative energy and 2) expedited permitting. 3) Energy baseline 20% energy reduction plan: Some of this work has been done. Mr. Kollett has been in touch with National Grid. This criterion would need to be quantified and looked at. 4) Purchase only fuel efficient vehicles: The Town would need to adopt a policy going forward that as current vehicles expire, fuel efficient vehicles would be purchased. 5) Minimize life cycle costs: New additions of a certain size and new construction may have some peripheral costs. A bylaw would need to be adopted.
Mr. Cundiff will look into opportunities for technical assistance grants for the next meeting. Ms. Mosczynski is concerned that Douglas is missing an opportunity to receive money. Mr. Cundiff will locate and distribute a copy of Leiran Biton’s old report.

3. MEETING MINUTES: October 18, 2016
Ms. Brown made a motion to approve the October 18, 2016 BFCC meeting minutes as presented. Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded the motion. Vote: Aye-4. Ms. O’Melia abstained.

4. 2017 BFCC MEETING SCHEDULE
Ms. Brown made a motion to accept the 2017 BFCC meeting schedule as presented. Ms. Howe seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.
The next meeting of the BFCC will be December 21, 2016.

5. OPEN SESSION
Mr. Cundiff presented a procurement chart from the Inspector General’s Office reflecting the Municipal Modernization Act. This act does not affect the Town’s bylaw. Mr. Fitzpatrick stated that according to the chart, a written scope of work is supposed to be presented to the BFCC for a project between $10,000-$50,000. Mr. Cundiff stated that the chart went into effect in October, 2016.
Mr. Cundiff presented the agreement for the painting at the Post Office and roof of the Highway barn. Mr. Fitzpatrick stated that according to the Town bylaw, any job over $10,000 is supposed to come before the BFCC, and neither of these projects did. Mr. Fitzpatrick does not feel that the description of work matches the work that was performed for the Post Office. He is concerned because per the lease agreement, the work needs to be done every five years; the current paint job needs to last five years. Mr. Fitzpatrick stated that there are areas of trim that have no paint on them.
Mr. Cundiff stated that the responsibility for a project lies with the project proponent, which in this case may be Facilities Maintenance or the Board of Selectmen (BOS). The project proponent is also responsible for seeking the BFCC’s input and complying with the bylaw. There are no enforcement provisions in the bylaw. Mr. Cundiff did send a memo to the Executive Administrator as requested. Adam and John Furno are aware of Mr. Fitzpatrick’s concerns. A discussion was held.
It was the consensus of the BFCC that Mr. Cundiff draft a letter to the Town departments reminding them of the provisions of the bylaw. A copy of the bylaw is to be attached.

6. ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Brown made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:12 PM. Mr. Fitzpatrick seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2016 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron