BOS - September 19, 2017

BOS - September 19, 2017

Postby Suzanne Kane » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am

Board of Selectmen
September 19, 2017
Municipal Center Resource Room

7:00 PM

• Call to Order
• Pledge of Allegiance
• Chairman’s Announcements
• Citizen’s Forum

1. Amazon HQ2 RFP - Justin Piccirillo, Uxbridge BOS Chair

2. Gilboa Court Extension – Proposed Widening

3. Open and Close Warrant for Special Town Meeting – Nov. 6, 2017

4. Public Records Policy Amendment – 2nd Reading

5. Minutes: September 5, 2017 – Regular and Exec Session

6. Town Administrator’s Report

7. Old/New Business

8. Adjournment
Future Agenda Items

Oct 3rd:
Meet w/Moderator and Town Clerk, Meet w/Jeanne Lovett,
Cortney, Keegan, and Kevin Maines, Review and Approve Highway Job Description

Oct 17th:
State Forest Trust Fund, Approve and Sign Special Town Meeting Warrant,
Assign Motions

TBD: Ratify Tax Rate, Jon Juhl w/Senator Fattman and Rep McKenna,
Meet w/Lt. Miglionico – No Solicitation Bylaw
September 19, 2017 - BOS Minutes.pdf
(154.35 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

September 19, 2017
Approved October 17, 2017

Call to Order

Chairman Kevin Morse called the Board of Selectmen (BOS) meeting to order at 7:00 PM in the Resource Room of the Municipal Center.

Board: Kevin Morse (Chairman), Tim Bonin, David Cortese (Vice Chairman), Hal Davis, Mike Hughes (Absent), Matt Wojcik (Town Administrator), Suzanne Kane (Administrative Assistant-Absent)
Other Staff and Citizens: William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Jeanne Lovett (Finance Director), John Furno (Highway Superintendent), Carol Gogolinski, and other staff and citizens.

• Pledge of Allegiance (00:08)

• Chairman’s Announcements (00:27)
There were no announcements.

• Citizen’s Forum (00:31)
No citizens came forward.

1. Amazon HQ2 RFP (00:42)
Justin Piccirillo of the Uxbridge BOS joined the meeting. He stated that there is an RFP in the public domain from Amazon looking to site a second headquarters on the east coast. The proposal is in in two phases. The first phase would involve 500,000 sq. ft. and then 8 million sq. ft. over 20 years. This headquarters has the potential to create 50,000 jobs. Mr. Piccirillo’s purpose is to gauge the interest of surrounding communities. He is proposing a meeting tomorrow night of the towns interested in pursuing the opportunity and working with Central Mass. Regional Planning Commission to develop a regional plan.
It was the consensus of the BOS to pursue the opportunity. Mr. Piccirillo will email the details of the meeting to Mr. Wojcik. Mr. Wojick will ask the Town Engineer to email possible sites to Mr. Piccirillo.

2. Gilboa Court Extension-Proposed Widening (15:07)
Mr. Cundiff joined the meeting. He described that this work on the road is within the right-of-way and is beyond the Planning Board’s jurisdiction.
JP Connelly of Andrews Survey and Engineering joined the meeting. The applicant is looking to extend Gilboa Court to create a 5-lot subdivision and extend the road and utilities. The Planning Board had issue with the existing condition of Gilboa Court. Where the road is currently 14.5’ wide, the Planning Board would like it to be expanded to 18’, which would taper to 22’ into the development site. A new water main will be run into the site. An existing pole will be relocated 20’ east. Eventually, the hope is that the road will be accepted as a public way.
Mr. Cundiff received input from John Furno, Highway Superintendent and Bob Sullivan, Water/Sewer Commissioner regarding the proposed design for the offsite improvements. Mr. Cundiff recommended approval of the plan subject to 100% surety for the proposed work. Mr. Furno stated that it would be great to have the ability for trucks to turn around on that road. Currently, a Highway truck needs to back into a private driveway in order to turn around. Mr. Furno would like there to be a full-width overlay.
Felix Yacino of 24 Gilboa Court feels the improvements would be a detriment to the neighborhood. There are issues in the winter. He feels that another six houses would add 20-15 vehicles per day. There is a day care at the top of the road. He feels a speed limit is crucial if the plan is approved. He stated that in order to widen the road, a corner of his property would be taken. He presented photographs. Mr. Morse stated that if the road is made wider, there would be more room for snow.
Mr. Cundiff explained that the road is a Town road up to the project site. At that point, the paved area within the right-of-way is narrow. Andrews Survey and Engineering is proposing off-site improvements to that area, which includes cutting into the side slope that abuts Mr. Yacino’s property. There would be grading done to achieve the grades that are needed. The proposed work is all within the right-of-way, which the Town owns. Mr. Yacino argues that he pays taxes to the edge of the road. A discussion was held.
Mr. Furno suggested the applicant build a matching wall for Mr. Yacino in lieu of placing boulders. Mr. Connelly stated that it could be discussed.
Mr. Bonin suggested a site walk.
Mr. Davis made a motion to authorize the work as shown on the plan as amended to include a like wall, with 100% surety for the proposed work. Mr. Cortese seconded the motion. It was decided to hold the vote until October 3, 2017 to allow members of the BOS to do a site walk. Mr. Davis withdrew his motion.

3. Open and Close Warrant for Special Town Meeting (STM)-November 6, 2017 (1:03:15)
Mr. Davis made a motion to open the warrant for the Special Town meeting to be held on Monday, November 6, 2017 at 7:00 PM and close the warrant on October 3, 2017. Mr. Cortese seconded the motion. All-Aye.
Ms. Lovett joined the meeting. She spoke about the articles coming up at the STM. The departments have been asked to submit articles.
The on-site audit will be occurring tomorrow and Thursday. Ms. Lovett is looking to submit her revenue sheets by 10/3/17. Free Cash should be certified by Town Meeting.

4. Public Records Policy Amendment-Second Reading (1:07:28)
There have been no changes since the last meeting. Mr. Bonin stated that Michael Guzinski’s name should be changed to Matthew Wojcik.

5. Approve Minutes: September 5, 2017, Regular and Executive Session (1:07:54)
Mr. Bonin made a motion to approve the minutes of the September 5, 2017 regular session BOS meeting as presented and approve as presented and hold in their entirety the minutes of the September 5, 2017 Executive Session minutes. Seconded by Mr. Cortese. All-Aye.

6. Town Administrator’s Report (1:09:27)
Mr. Wojcik stated that a Capital Committee meeting has been scheduled because departments may be submitting requests for capital spending.
The Town’s use of Free Cash over the years is accelerating and it is not sustainable without negative repercussions. Mr. Wojcik presented three savings initiatives that he is refining: an emergency dispatch regionalization initiative, purchase and storage of fuel in bulk, and street lights. Mr. Wojcik will be sending a letter to National Grid asking for an estimate of the cost of LED lights, which will be presented to the BOS for consideration.
Mr. Wojick stated that one of Douglas’ police officers will be recognized for excellent service

7. Old/New Business (1:23:38)
Old Business: Mr. Bonin thanked the Douglas Cable Committee for the microphone improvements.
New Business: There was no new business.

8. Adjournment
Mr. Davis made a motion at 8:24 PM to adjourn. Mr. Bonin seconded the motion. All-Aye.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Wright
Recording Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2017 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest