January 18, 2017 BFCC meeting

Moderators: Mary Wright, Maria Lajoie

January 18, 2017 BFCC meeting

Postby Mary Wright » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:02 pm

BUILDING & FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
JANUARY 18, 2017

A meeting of the Building & Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on
January 18, 2017 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Holland called the meeting to order at 7:01 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Sean Holland (Chairman), Linda Brown, Michael Fitzpatrick, Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairperson), Rebekka O’Melia
NON-VOTING: William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Jeff Kollett (School Facilities Manager), Justin Snook (Library Director)
ABSENT: Virginia Howe (Unexcused)

1. MUNICIPAL CENTER AND PRIMARY SCHOOL ROOF CAPITAL PROJECTS
-Municipal HVAC Project
Mr. Cundiff stated that there are some warranty items that require correction. At the front entrance door, the heating registers do not seem to be working. Riverdale will look into that. Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects (GRLA) has to scan the close out documents to send to the Town.
Mr. Fitzpatrick asked Mr. Cundiff to ask George O’Neil of GRLA if an efficiency test has been done.
-Municipal Roof and Windows and Primary School Roof Projects
Mr. Cundiff stated that he has asked Mr. O’Neil for a summary. Mr. O’Neil has prepared a punch list. Mr. Cundiff presented Mr. O’Neil with questions from the last meeting, and his response was that all of those items are reflected in the punch list, including the bubbling of the roof.
Mr. Fitzpatrick is concerned about item #10: ponding water at west end. The project is not 100% paid out so the cost to repair the ponding is estimated at $1,000 by the architect. Mr. Cundiff will ask Mr. O’Neil to check if the warranty allows standing water over seams.
The bubbles on the patch have turned into holes. Mr. Cundiff saw an email late this afternoon from Greenwood saying they will be meeting with the job site superintendent regarding this issue.
-Windows
Mr. Cundiff stated that he and Adam Furno, Facilities Maintenance Manager, met with Mr. O’Neil last week and asked GRLA to submit a proposal for windows, which will identify how many first floor windows can be replaced with the funds available.

2. LIBRARY PROJECT
Mr. Snook joined the meeting. Mr. Fitzpatrick asked about carpeting that is planning to be installed at the library. The funds were donated, however if the cost of the project exceeds $10,000, it needs to go through the BFCC.
Mr. Cundiff stated that there is an active project that the BFCC worked on with the Library Trustees. He wants to be sure these peripheral projects do not undermine that active project or the State construction procurement laws. The cost of the carpet installation happening tomorrow is approximately $9,200, being funded solely through donations. A discussion was held.
Ms. Mosczynski stated that she does not feel it is fair that the townspeople have approved money to be spent on designs for the library, but have not been able to vote on where money is being spent. Mr. Snook spoke about the carpeting project and the parking lot project. The library has received a donation of gravel for the driveway/parking lot. Mr. Cundiff feels that accessibility needs to be the focus of the project.
Mr. Cundiff will talk to the Town Administrator and Adam Furno about who has jurisdiction about painting the outside of the windows.
Mr. Snook stated that the parking lot project is still in public hearing status with the Planning Board. The Planning Board has asked for an estimate to move a retaining wall to make room for cars to enter/exit simultaneously in the driveway. The current plan is not in the exact footprint of the original design; it is closer to the building.

3. GREEN ENERGY
Mr. Cundiff stated that yesterday the Lt. Governor came to Town for a signing ceremony for the Commonwealth Community Compact Agreement. He presented a copy of the agreement, which gives the Town access to grants relating to economic development, IT and regionalization. The Town is slated to receive funds for technical assistance for moving forward with green communities. They will be able to have a consultant work with them on five criteria.

4. DISCUSSION
FY18 Budget
A discussion was held regarding funding for analysis of the boiler design at the elementary school (see Open Session).
Ms. Brown made a motion to accept the 2018 BFCC Budget as presented. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

5. MEETING MINUTES: December 21, 2016
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the December 21, 2016 BFCC meeting minutes as presented. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

6. OPEN SESSION
Mr. Kollett stated that the elementary school has had boiler flame-out issues transitioning from low-fire to high-fire since the first year it opened. The issue became evident after the one-year warranty expired. DiNisco added a draft induction fan. The manufacturer came in. The issue remained, and Mr. Kollett continues to have problems. A discussion was held.
Mr. Cundiff suggested that he, Mr. Kollett, Mr. Fitzpatrick, the Town’s Finance Director and the School Superintendent meet to speak about the issue. He feels it is a design issue, but that needs to be stated in writing in order to submit a claim. Someone would need to be paid to come in to do that analysis to include issues and resolutions.
Mr. Holland asked about ex officio members Mr. Cundiff, Mr. Adam Furno, Mr. Kollett, and Mr. Joe Biagioni. Mr. Fitzpatrick believes that Mr. Cundiff is the only ex officio member.

7. ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:34 PM. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2017 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron