December 19, 2018 BFCC meeting

Moderators: Mary Wright, Maria Lajoie

December 19, 2018 BFCC meeting

Postby Mary Wright » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 pm

DECEMBER 19, 2018

A meeting of the Building & Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on
December 19, 2018 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Holland called the meeting to order at 7:01 PM.

PRESENT: Linda Brown, Sean Holland (Chairman), Michael Fitzpatrick, Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairperson)
NON-VOTING: William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Adam Furno (Facilities Maintenance Manager-left 7:30 PM)
ABSENT: Virginia Howe

Mr. Cundiff stated that the Town had received a Green Communities Designation Grant in the value of $145,940. Mr. Cundiff reviewed the LED streetlight replacement project. The Town has been reimbursed $109,456. Town Meeting did appropriate additional funds in the amount of $65,000 to cover expenses for LED replacement and library improvements.
The library hyper-heat project is 100% complete. A discussion was held regarding the new units and the old boiler. Replacement of the boiler could be a project for another Green Communities grant. The library weatherization project will begin early January, 2019 and must be completed by the end of that month.
There has been one complaint regarding an LED streetlight shining in a dwelling’s window.

Mr. Cundiff stated that they went out to bid for the fire alarms in 2017, and the two responses received recommended that the project be broken into two phases because of the availability of funds. Town Administrator Matt Wojcik recommends going out to bid again for a designer. If the new responses also recommend breaking the project into two phases, then they may go back to Town Meeting to ask for funds for the whole project.
Mr. Furno explained that the Police Department is a separate system, which would be a problem if they move out of this building.
Ms. Brown made a motion to recommend that Mr. Cundiff prepare an RFQ and solicit designer proposals for the Municipal Center Fire Alarm. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote: Aye-4.

Mr. Cundiff stated that an environmental testing company has tested the caulking around the windows and, in a report dated June 29, 2018, 2% asbestos was found in all four samples, which is below the threshold. The balance of available funds is $104,130. Mr. Furno received a proposal from Modern in October, 2017 for $45,690. Mr. Furno will contact Modern for an updated quote and ask them to attend the next BFCC meeting.

Mr. Cundiff stated that Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects (GRLA) had prepared drawings showing the scope of work associated with this project (ASA-1). Mr. Cundiff feels this project warrants a designer, and it may be prudent to use GRLA. Mr. Fitzpatrick recommended, that if they do hire GRLA, to have it made clear to the BFCC how they are going to be charged. He suggested asking GRLA if they can do a lump-sum-fee contract. Mr. Cundiff will ask.
It was the consensus of the BFCC that Mr. Cundiff will contact Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects about a lump-sum-fee contract for the Police Department window project.

5. MEETING MINUTES: July 25, 2018
Ms. Brown made a motion to approve the July 25, 2018 BFCC meeting minutes as presented. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote: Aye-4.

Ms. Brown made a motion to approve the 2019 Building & Facilities Construction Committee meeting schedule as presented. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote: Aye-4.

Mr. Fitzpatrick made a motion to adjourn the BFCC meeting at 7:37 PM. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2018 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest