BOS - September 4, 2018

BOS - September 4, 2018

Postby Suzanne Kane » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:47 am

Board of Selectmen
Agenda
September 4, 2018
Municipal Center Resource Room

7:00 PM

• Call to Order
• Pledge of Allegiance
• Chairman’s Announcements
• Citizen’s Forum

1. Cannabis Bylaw(s) Discussion – Possible Vote(s)

2. Gym Wall Tiger Discussion – R. Hogan, S. Yacino, G. Vecchione

3. Possible Public Hearing – G. Vecchione Appeal Removal from ConCom

4. Amendment to Energy Service Agreement – Possible Vote(s)

5. TA Evaluation – Process Discussion

8:00 PM
6. Dynamic Douglas Day Recap – D. Hardy

7. Minutes: August 21, 2018 Regular & Exec. Session

8. Administrator’s Report

9. Executive Session – Possible Litigation

10. Adjournment
_______________________________________________________________________________
Future Agenda Items:

TBD:
Library Trustees – Joint Appointment
_______________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________
September 4, 2018 - BOS Minutes.pdf
(161.48 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

BOARD OF SELECTMEN
MEETING MINUTES
September 4, 2018
Approved September 18, 2018

Call to Order

Chairman Kevin Morse called the Board of Selectmen (BOS) meeting to order at 7:00 PM in the Resource Room of the Municipal Center.

ATTENDANCE:
Board: Kevin Morse (Chair), Tim Bonin, David Cortese (Vice Chair), Hal Davis, Mike Hughes, Matt Wojcik (Town Administrator), Suzanne Kane (Administrative Assistant)
Other Staff and Citizens: Police Chief Nick Miglionico, Kevin Connors, Mark Dunleavy, Patty Dix, Susan Spencer (Telegram & Gazette), Donna Hardy, Dawn Fontaine, Fred Fontaine, Kate Feodoroff (Town Counsel), Ryan Hogan, Scott Yacino, Betsy Youngsma, Gary Vecchione, Keith Menard and other staff and citizens.

• Pledge of Allegiance (00:10)

• Chairman’s Announcements
(00:28)
There were no announcements.

• Citizen’s Forum (00:34)
No one came forward.

1. Cannabis Bylaw(s) Discussion-Possible Vote(s) (00:42)
In the packet is a memo from Mr. Wojcik dated 8/6/18 and a copy of the PowerPoint presentation.
Atty. Kate Feodoroff of Land Use Council joined the meeting and gave a presentation of options for regulating recreational marijuana. Her presentation included the background and modification of the moratorium, legislative timelines, types of restrictions, zoning bylaws, local licensure/permitting, host community agreements, taxation, marijuana cafes, and other regulations.
Atty. Feodoroff stated that now is the time to create zoning bylaws and/or regulations as Douglas’ moratorium will expire at the end of December, 2018. It was felt that there is not enough time to get all of the zoning done for fall town meeting. The BOS felt that the licensing could be ready for the fall town meeting and zoning completed for the spring town meeting. A discussion was held.
Mr. Wojcik summarized the discussion listing the following action items: develop a licensing regimen, cannabis only, 3% tax, three licenses and a licensing fee that mirrors alcohol licenses. Mr. Wojcik and Atty. Feodoroff will draft an ordinance.
A gentleman in the audience asked if the Board of Health has enough resources to monitor recreational marijuana. Mr. Cortese replied that it is not known that there is a lack of resources. Atty. Feodoroff explained the Board of Health’s jurisdiction. She will forward draft regulations to the Douglas Board of Health.

2. Gym Wall Tiger Discussion: R. Hogan, S. Yacino, G. Vecchione (56:36)
In the packet is a Gym Painting Update dated 9/4/18, a letter from Scott Yacino dated 9/4/18, and other related materials.
Mr. Morse stated that he is limiting the discussion on this agenda item to 20 minutes, and the topic will be limited to Town of Douglas residents’ concerns about the painting over of the tiger in the Municipal Center gym.
Ryan Hogan of 10 Darling Way and Douglas Youth Basketball (DYB) joined the meeting and read a statement explaining the steps taken for the maintenance of the gym that resulted in DYB and the Sherriff’s Dept. painting over the tiger mural. He stated that members of the DYB Board of Directors reached out to the community to ask if the tiger had any historical significance. They did not receive feedback that anyone who had attended school in the municipal center would be upset. A unanimous vote was taken to paint over the mural to give the gym an updated look and to honor Rose Minior with a framed dedication in the hallway. DYB apologized to anyone who was upset with this decision and stated that it was not their intention to disrespect the Town’s history.
Mr. Morse and Mr. Wojcik discussed creating policies for use and improvements in public buildings. Moving forward, a scope of work needs to be brought before the BOS.
Scott Yacino of 22 Gilboa Street joined the meeting and read a prepared statement. He feels that volunteering with a private group does not allow permission to alter Town property. Mr. Yacino feels that volunteers’ work needs to be controlled, regardless of the amount of time or money donated. He gave a history of the tiger. He does not agree with the DYB’s decision to paint over the tiger. He feels that it must be ensured that historical sites, relics and public spaces that hold significant meaning to people are not destroyed by people who “do not understand the nuances.” Town policy is needed to ensure that this does not happen again, and if it does, there should be a way to hold the offender accountable for restoration. Private organizations should not be allowed to make changes to public property without a public discussion in front of a public body that is accountable to voters and taxpayers.
Keith Menard of 15 Manchaug Street spoke about the lack of volunteerism. Volunteers should be commended and not ridiculed for making a mistake.
Amber Olivieri of 5 Pinnacle Way and Treasurer and a coach of DYB was not in favor of painting over the tiger, however she was not able to vote as she was not at the May meeting. She stated that the minutes do not note a discussion regarding painting over the mural. Mr. Hogan stated that a 20-minute discussion regarding the mural took place, and the vote was unanimous among the seven board members that attended.
Gary Vecchione of 190 Northwest Main Street stated that the fact that volunteers should not be held accountable was disproven when he was kicked off the Conservation Commission the other day. Mr. Morse told Mr. Vecchione that he was out of order.
Mr. Vecchione stated that Mr. Hogan said that the decision was unanimous with the entire board. Mr. Hogan stated that he misstated. Mr. Vecchione feels that Mr. Hogan made a large mistake and that he did it on purpose. Mr. Vecchione suggested that Mr. Hogan and the boys involved hold a fundraiser to repaint the tiger by a local artist.
Mr. Morse stated that he has suggested that a Douglas senior be asked to repaint a tiger in the Municipal Center, or elsewhere, as a senior project. Mr. Cortese would like suggestions to come to the BOS.
Mr. Vecchione asked to be on the agenda for the next meeting to see if the public wants to go in this direction. Mr. Morse stated that Citizens Forum allows for the public to bring forth items at every meeting.
Kevin Connors of 4 Orchard Place feels that the sampling of people that were asked about the mural were not representative of the entire community. The tiger was a Douglas tradition.
Patti Dix of 28 Roslyn Road is disheartened to not see the tiger on the wall. She feels that the intention to paint over the tiger should not have been posted on Facebook. It should have been on the Town’s website or Dynamic Douglas, for example.
Mr. Bonin and Mr. Davis thanked Mr. Hogan for his volunteerism and Mr. Hogan thanked Adam Furno.
Mr. Morse asked for suggestions regarding the tiger to be sent to him by email.

3. Possible Public Hearing: G. Vecchione Appeal Removal from Conservation Commission (ConCom) (1:36:09)
In the packet is a Certified Letter dated 8/28/18, a Douglas Police Dept. Call Log dated 8/2/18, an email from Carol Bagdis dated 8/13/18, a written statement from Carol and Steve Bagdis, and other related materials.
This item was postponed until September 18, 2018.

The BOS took a five-minute recess.

4. Amendment to the Energy Service Agreement-Possible Vote(s) (1:48:20) In the packet is a memo from Good Energy, LLP dated 8/21/18, a First Amendment to Electric Service Agreement, and other related materials.
Mr. Wojcik stated that many of the communities that are participating in this agreement have signed it. Town Meeting authorized the BOS to handle this issue. Mr. Wojcik cannot sign the settlement on behalf of the Town.
He gave the background regarding the aggregation. As a result of the bidding process, Public Power came in at 10.12 cents/kw. The next lowest bid came in at 10.63 cents/kw. The current market rate is 10.9 cents/kw. In the course of planning their financial statements, Public Power realized they would be operating at a loss and came back with an increase in price. Negotiations were held and a price of 10.43 cents/kw was agreed upon, which will take Public Power out of the red.
As a result of this process, portions of the contract that were vague were rewritten.
Mr. Hughes made a motion to approve the amendment to the Electric Service Agreement as presented. Mr. Davis seconded the motion. All-Aye.
The purchasing group will be producing educational materials.

5. Town Administrator Evaluation: Process Discussion (1:57:35)
Mr. Wojcik has some items to add to the documents used in the past. He will have these documents and a self-evaluation ready for September 18, 2018. Mr. Morse feels that Mr. Wojcik exceeds all expectations.
Place this item on the next agenda.

6. Dynamic Douglas Day Recap-D. Hardy (1:37:29)
Ms. Hardy joined the meeting. She stated that the day was successful and was attended by over 500 people. They will be doing the event again next year. The theme will be Winter Candyland.
Cans of nonperishable food were collected for the food pantry and 251 lbs. of food were donated. She thanked Mr. Bonin and Mr. Davis for their participation in the dunk tank.
Ms. Hardy stated that she is $78.33 short of her fundraising goal. She would like to donate $1,200 each to the VFW and Senior Center. Mr. Morse stated that if she has not met her goal by the next BOS meeting, he will make up the difference. The other members all agreed to donate as well.

7. Approve Minutes: August 21, 2018 Regular & Executive Sessions (2:00:22)
Mr. Hughes made a motion to approve the minutes of the August 21, 2018 regular session BOS meeting as presented and approve and retain in their entirety the minutes of the August 21, 2018 Executive session BOS meeting as presented. Seconded by Mr. Cortese. Vote: All-Aye.

8. Town Administrator’s Report (2:00:08)
There was no report.

9. Old/New Business (2:01:24)
Old Business: There was no old business.
New Business: There was no new business.

10. Adjournment (2:02:05)
Mr. Cortese made a motion at 9:15 PM to adjourn. Mr. Hughes seconded the motion. Vote: All-Aye.

Respectfully submitted,


Mary Wright
Recording Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2018 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron