BOS - October 10, 2006 - Workshop

BOS - October 10, 2006 - Workshop

Postby Suzanne Kane » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:36 am

Douglas Board of Selectmen
Draft STM Warrant-Workshop Minutes
October 10, 2006
Approved, March 20, 2007



Madam Chair Shirley Mosczynski called the workshop to order at 6:34 pm at the Municipal Center. In attendance: Paula Brouillette-Vice Chair, Mitch Cohen, David Furno, Mike Hughes, Executive Administrator-Michael Guzinski and Fire Chief Donald Gonynor.

Mike- Update on the following issues:
School Audit-
School Officials have asked in the spirit of trying to get more school Committee members at the meeting to have a meeting to discuss the 2 school audits October 24th. After discussion it was decided to tentatively schedule October 25th at 7 pm.
Library Board of Trustees-the Chair asked to move the meeting with the Board on their building plan from October 17th to November 6th.

-STM Draft Warrant Review (Handout) Mike:
Storm Water Bylaw- Removed and put on in the spring. It’s a federal requirement and must be done. Spoke with Bill (Town Engineer), technically ready to go. There may be a lot of public questions and discussions.
Senior Van Funding- Removed-no date of delivery confirmed by the State. Town of Sutton also removed that article.

Article 1. Prior Year’s Bills-$7,081.57 (Handout): Reviewed by Town Accountant. Largest amount to Greenman-Pederson, arrangement done with the school 3 ½ yrs ago to front money for engineering that project. School was supposed to pay but did not pay the last amount. Town Accountant now feels it’s best to be paid through Free Cash, the rest of the bills came in late.

Article 2. Transfer Funds from Free Cash to Stabilization-$172,915: Goes back to ATM, to fund part of the operational budget with intention of putting those funds back into Stabilization once Free Cash was certified.

Article 3. Short Term Interest for Yacino Settlement-$22,789 (Handout): Should have been in the ATM interest column, recommending this come out of additional state aid we’re receiving ($250,000). Total available for appropriation $216,940 not bonded this yet. Accountant and Treasurer currently cleaning up books for ’05 &’06 and our financial advisor recommended we do not borrow until we have those audits available. Indirectly had to do with certification of Free Cash, originally had a negative number.

FYI: Mike- Un-officially listed as recipients of a Pot Hole Fund Grant of $28,000. Will call Sen. Moore’s office to confirm.

Article 4. Supplemental Funding for Fiscal Year 2007 Budget: Basically involves the $216,000 and where those funds will go.

Article 5. High School Repairs-$35,000: Dean (School Business Manager) got some quotes and is trying to get warranty coverage. Mike to get more information and where funds will be coming from. The builder is blaming the architect and vice versa.

Article 6. Home Composting Bin Program: Board of Health received notification they had funds left over $1,189.05 from their program several years ago and would like to use those to start that program again. With grant money 20 bins were purchased at $40.00 each and selling them to the public for the same amount.

Article 7. Route 16 Construction Inspection Services-(Handout from Bill): Mike-No direct first hand knowledge or information. Handled by previous Administrator and Bill wasn’t as involved in this project. Looking to take funds from Free Cash.

Articles 8. & 9. - Chief Gonynor came to the table:
8. Ambulance Wages: $15,000 (transfer from expense account and money appropriated from ambulance receipts) trying to hire per diem people to work weekends, more staff needed. Also sent two students at $6700 each to be intermediate trained paramedics-they have the ability to start an IV, intibate a patient, push certain drugs under medical direction. Our level of care will go up and be more independent.
9. Purchase of a New Ambulance: Two are needed. The one that’s failed was bought used in 1995, has 103,000 miles, has had a lot of mechanical problems and spent $4000 in the last year. Looking at a five year lease at $30,000 a year. Review by Capital on the 12th, the Board will discuss and decide on the 17th.

Motion - Mitch Cohen to go into Executive Session for the purpose of discussing collective bargaining and to resume open session following. Seconded – Dave Furno.
Roll call vote - Mitch Cohen-aye, Paula Brouillette-aye, Shirley Mosczynski-aye, Mike Hughes-aye, Dave Furno-aye.

Motion – Shirley- Entertain a motion to come out of Executive Session for the purpose of continuing with the workshop at 8:07pm. Dave Furno- So moved. Seconded- Mitch Cohen.
Roll Call Vote: Mitch Cohen-aye, Paula Brouillette-aye, Shirley Mosczynski-aye, Mike Hughes-aye, Dave Furno-aye.

Mike- Continued reviewing the remaining Articles:
Article 10. Library Study-
Immediately after the public meeting on ADA, Self-evaluation Transition Plan, Pete Tetreault member of the Board of Trustees, approached and mentioned briefly the Trustees were looking at bringing in an architect (Mr. Farley) to do a plan to implement renovations necessary for the library to meet ADA regulations for $3000. Trustees voted to go ahead. Concerned they take off with it before they have the ADA report. Free Cash recommended. Board of Trustees can’t meet with the Board until November 6th.
Discussion: People know something needs to be done, concerned moving too fast, pre-mature to consider doing anything without the ADA report, willingness to work with the Permanent Building Committee. Mike will contact and urge the Chair, Vice-Chair, as well as Pete to be scheduled first on the agenda for the 17th at 7:00pm to answer questions.

Article 11. Municipal Center Keyless Access Control System- Conversations began with members of the Cable Commission about two years ago regarding installation. You can make as many keys as you like fairly cheaply, deactivate them at any time, track when people come into the building. There’s a lot of keys out there now and luckily haven’t had any major incidences. Cost re-doing the lock and issuing keys will run well over $1000. Will have two locks and keys one for the side door of the Municipal Center and one for the Cable room. Cable Committee has offered to pay for half the system which is made up of a computer, can automatically unlock the doors at 8:30, lock at 4:00, then open again at 6:00 and close at 10:00 on Tuesdays. $3500 (based on two quotes) would come from Free Cash and hoping it is less than that.

Article 12. Post Office/Senior Center Parking Lot Expansion- Mike spoke to Bill today regarding request for the increase: cost of pavement, drainage problems in the area near the church, putting up requested fencing. Transfer $10,000 needed in funds left over from ADA leaving a $5000 buffer. Will discuss this with Capital Committee on Thursday.
Discussion: Some of these things can be understood and it is a learning process, hopefully we’ll get to the point where we can estimate these projects, feel comfortable and be priced out once. Significant concern with this project and water problems in the basement from members of the church. Bill and John (Highway Superintendent) to come up with a solution so this wouldn’t happen while it was going on. Members were invited to come before the Board. Typically Bill does include a contingency. In the process of going out to bid now and expect to have physical construction probably begin in April.

Article 13. Regional Agreement for Animal Control Services- Mike has been meeting for 8 or 9 months with the Chiefs and Administrators of Uxbridge and Mendon to come up with a plan to effectively cover all three towns either at cost or what we’re paying now. Each town has to enter into an intermunicipal agreement. It would make sense that the ACO report to the Police Chief and in the future addressed in the Bylaws.

Article 14. TIF Agreement- Proposed TIF N.A.J. Properties, LLC forwarded to Economic Development Committee and for review by the Board. Similar to other two TIFs (within 5%) but has a front load then drops off as far as tax break.
Discussion: Concerned we don’t really have a plan how we’re giving TIF’s. Hal put together a summary that had three categories: minor, intermediate and major and we would like to understand the difference, the relationship between that and a TIF Agreement. Why is this TIF different than the other two that are in the same area? Agreed to have Hal Davis who offered to come in to discuss this and the School Committee to the workshop on the 25th.

Article 15. Zoning By-Law Change- Master Plan Committee forwarded this for approval at Town Meeting. The Board sent it to Planning Board, it received a luke warm reception, not sure if it was even voted on and up in the air now as far as Master Plan supporting it at Town Meeting. Discussion: Haven’t gotten many satisfactory responses, received letters of opposition, suggested putting off until the Annual Town Meeting and discuss it more in the interim, maybe Bill could provide the Board with more information and what is allowed in that area, call Paul Peterson (Master Plan Chair). Master Plan looking to dissolve by December of this year, don’t know what effect if any, it would that have putting this off until May.

Summary-Mike:
Library Board of Trustees-
Invite to October 17th at least the Chair and one other member to discuss the library study
School Committee and Hal Davis (EDC)- Invite to October 25th to discuss Audits and TIFs
Library Board of Trustees as a group- Meet on November 6th

Paula- Try to raise and appropriate $216,000 – Articles 3, 4, & 5. Agree with Mitch on 5, fund out of Free Cash. Articles 3 & 4 most is Chapter 70 money.
Discussion: Need to confirm another $28,000 in Pot Hole Fund money which would be available for appropriation now and used for Article 3 and leave $216,000 whole for Article 4. If the $35,000 were to be from Free Cash and $22,000 were to be from Pot Hole money, the $216,000 would go towards the school budget. No health insurance or unemployment problems. Start looking at putting some in Free Cash and not all in Stabilization. In favor of having Stabilization Fund at its current levels supporting capital projects, need a fund for emergencies. $172,000 should go back in Stabilization, set Free Cash aside and use it on capital projects as needed. If we have to look at maybe using some to get us through override discussion of ’09.
-School space: New administration feels comfortable. No changes for 5 or 6 years.
Shirley- Road situation we’re not sure is going to be resolved by directing and redirecting traffic.
-High school has only one entrance and exit.
-Old Elementary School has been sitting vacant way too long.
- Permanent Building Committee is getting started and need to look at the study as to what these buildings could be used for.
- School enrollment, dropped or staying stable.

Powers & Sullivan Audit- Board to review for October 25th meeting.

6. Adjournment- Mitch Cohen made a motion to adjourn at 9:12 pm.
Seconded – Mike Hughes. All - aye.


Respectfully submitted,

Jane L. Alger
Administrative Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2006 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron