August 21, 2019 BFCC Meeting

Moderators: Mary Wright, Maria Lajoie

August 21, 2019 BFCC Meeting

Postby Mary Wright » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:33 pm

BUILDING & FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
AUGUST 21, 2019

A meeting of the Building & Facilities Construction Committee (BFCC) was held on
August 21, 2019 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Holland called the meeting to order at 7:06 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Linda Brown, Michael Fitzpatrick, Sean Holland (Chairman), Shirley Mosczynski (Vice Chairperson)
NON-VOTING: William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Adam Furno (Facilities Maintenance Manager)
ABSENT: Virginia Howe

1. LIBRARY (#2012-01)
Mr. Cundiff stated that the last time the library was before the BFCC, they stated that they had a sketch and they wanted to pursue a grant. The BFCC had advised them that they should contact the architect that did the original design. That architect, Charlie Van Voorhis, has taken a position with a different firm and is not able to follow through with additional work. Mr. Cundiff has not heard anything further from the Library Trustees or from Library Director Justin Snook as to what their next steps will be. Mr. Cundiff has shared the designer selection process with Mr. Snook.
Mr. Furno stated that Jason Baker is currently painting the library windows. Mr. Fitzpatrick expressed concern because the BFCC is not informed of how maintenance is proceeding at the library, yet they and the Town may be asked to help fund maintenance down the road. Mr. Cundiff will ask Mr. Snook to keep the BFCC informed of their projects as a courtesy.
Mr. Cundiff clarified that the BFCC’s role is advisory to the Board of Selectmen (BOS) and they have a $50,000 threshold for special projects designated by the BOS. The estimate for the window painting in March was $3,700.
Mr. Furno stated that the library did not apply for an ADA grant. A discussion was held, including maintenance, and library funding.

2. GREEN ENERGY
Mr. Cundiff stated that that the LED streetlights and the work with the designation grant is 100% complete, fully funded, and closed out. As part of the original agreement with Arden, they will be around for another year to replace fixtures. Mr. Cundiff is considering looking for a regional contract with a utility provider on an as needed basis.
Mr. Cundiff has not heard back yet from the Dept. of Energy Resources regarding the grant application.

3. BADLUCK POND OUTLET BRIDGE (D-09-027) (#2019-04)
Mr. Cundiff stated that the project is proceeding in design phase. Some soil testing and land surveying has been done. He is looking to supplement the $500,000 grant with Chapter 90 funds.

4. MUNICIPAL CENTER FIRE ALARM (#2019-03)
Mr. Cundiff stated that this project needs to move forward. During the last round of bids, the fee was an issue, therefore the fee will be adjusted and the project put out for bid again.
Mr. Furno stated that issues need to be addressed, for example if the Police Dept. moves. In the first discussions, the Police Dept. system was not going to be replaced. The project may need to be phased. Mr. Furno outlined the issues with the current system. Mr. Cundiff suggested continuing on the current path. A discussion was held, including monitoring the system, remote access, and timing of the project.

5. MUNICIPAL CENTER GYMNASIUM WINDOWS (#2019-01)
Mr. Cundiff spoke with Ryan Hogan of the basketball league, who suggested that the construction be held off until the spring when basketball season is over. The bid documents and soliciting can be moved forward.

6. POLICE DEPARTMENT WINDOWS (#2019-02)
Mr. Cundiff presented a draft advertisement for an invitation for bids and a schedule provided by George O’Neil of Gorman Richardson Lewis Architects (GRLA). Mr. O’Neil is waiting for final input before he puts it out to bid. There are some minor edits, i.e. blinds. If funding allows, the Police Chief would prefer bulletproof glass in some of the windows.
If the project commences during cold weather, Mr. Cundiff will ask Mr. O’Neil to ensure that there is a barrier to protect occupants from the cold.

7. MINUTES: May 29, 2019
Ms. Brown made a motion to approve the May 29, 2019 BFCC meeting minutes as presented. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote: Aye-5.

8. OTHER BUSINESS
Mr. Cundiff stated that they will be moving forward with Article 10 on the Special Town Meeting Warrant: Municipal Center Backup Generator and Associated Expenses. There is currently no backup generator for this part of the building, and it is needed, especially with all the new IT equipment that has been purchased. The Town Administrator suggested replacing the Police Dept. backup generator with one generator for the whole building. Mr. Furno presented a quote for $75,000. Mr. Furno is requesting $135, 000 to be sure all the costs are covered. Propane can be used as the fuel for the generator.
Mr. Cundiff will start preparing bid documents.

9. ADJOURNMENT
Mr. Fitzpatrick made a motion to adjourn the BFCC meeting at 7:50 PM. Ms. Brown seconded the motion. Vote: Aye-4.

Respectfully submitted,


Mary T. Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to 2019 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron