BoS - June 30, 2020

BoS - June 30, 2020

Postby Suzanne Kane » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:45 am

Board of Selectmen
Remote Meeting
June 30, 2020

7:00 pm

• Call to Order by Roll Call
• Chairman’s Announcements

1. Vote on Annual Appointments of Board/Committees w/Expiring Terms
Possible Vote(s)

2. Request from Fragile X Research – Possible Vote(s)

3. Approve Minutes – Possible Vote(s)

4. Administrators Report & COVID – 19 Update

5. Open Session for Topics Not Reasonably Anticipated 48 Hours
in Advance of the Meeting

6. Adjournment

For Remote Participation Video Conferencing and Screen Sharing:

Go to: https://spaces.zang.io/spaces/5e8396f3f94eb61b4267da9a

Dial In Number: 1 855-378-8822
Space ID: 498-740-187
Password: 1234

If you do not have a camera and microphone on your computer, you will be prompted to dial in and will default into the browser as a screen share only participant. There is no client required for people to participate, all they need to do is go to the URL listed above or Dial In via the 855 number and enter the Meeting ID.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Future Agenda:

July 7th:
1. Joint with School Committee, Administration, and Food Service Director
Discussion - Food Service Program during COVID-19 and going forward.
Possible Vote(s)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
June 30, 2020 - EOC Mintes.pdf
(111.74 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

BOARD OF SELECTMEN
MEETING MINUTES
June 30, 2020
Approved July 7, 2020

Call to Order

Chair Kevin Morse called the Board of Selectmen (BOS) meeting to order at 7:00 PM in the Resource Room at the Municipal Center. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, participants were invited to join the meeting by video conference.

ATTENDANCE:
Board: Kevin Morse (Chair), Tim Bonin (Absent), David Cortese, Hal Davis (remote), Mike Hughes (remote), Matt Wojcik (Town Administrator), Suzanne Kane (Administrative Assistant-Absent)
Other Staff and Citizens (remote): Tony St. Pierre (Octoberfest), Police Chief Nick Miglionico. Teresa Matteson (Z&T)

• Call to Order by Roll Call (00:06)

• Chairman’s Announcements (00:34)

Mr. Morse read a letter from the Octoberfest Committee dated 6/29/20 stating their intent to cancel Octoberfest 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Mr. St. Pierre joined the meeting remotely to express his regret.

1. Vote on Annual Appointments of Boards/Committees with Expiring Terms-Possible Vote(s) (05:18)
In the packet is a memo from Suzanne Kane dated 6/10/20, the BoS Re-Appointments for FY2021, and related materials.
Mr. Morse stated that everyone on the list was open to reappointment, except for those marked in red. All committee/board openings are posted on the bulletin board, the Town website, and on cable. A discussion was held.
Mr. Davis asked that this item be held, stating the current members will continue in their position, and it will give time for others to apply.
Mr. Cortese made a motion to appoint Tim Bonin as the Douglas representative to the Central Mass. Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC) for the entirety of his term as Selectman. Mr. Davis seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote: Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis – Aye, Mike Hughes – Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.

2. Request from Fragile X Research-Possible Vote(s) (10:01)
Mr. Morse read a request from Ellen Scala of the Fragile X Foundation asking if Douglas would shine teal lights on the Municipal Center and at the common on 7/22/20 to show support for International Fragile X Awareness Day.
The common does not have lights and the Municipal Center is not able to use the lights the Foundation has offered to lend. In lieu of the ability to shine teal lights, Mr. Morse offered to put an announcement on the Town website.
Mr. Cortese made a motion to place an acknowledgement/announcement on the Town website regarding International Fragile X Awareness Day, 7/22/20. Mr. Davis seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote: Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis – Aye, Mike Hughes – Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.

3. Approve Minutes: June 23, 2020 Regular Session-Possible Vote(s) (11:48)
Mr. Cortese made a motion to approve the June 23, 2020 minutes of the Board of Selectmen regular session meeting as presented. Seconded by Mr. Hughes. Roll Call Vote: Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis - Aye, Mike Hughes – Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.

4. Administrator’s Report and COVID-19 Update (13:04)
Mr. Wojcik stated that the list of appointments includes Town Counselmen, and the BOS has the opportunity to review the performance of Town Counsel. Mr. Wojcik did not have any recommendations.
Mr. Wojcik stated that it is very important that collective bargaining units be represented on the Employee Advisory Committee for Health Insurance.
Mr. Wojcik stated that they will soon post the Minute Taker position, as the current holder of that position has given notice. There are also positions open in the Fire Department.
Late this afternoon, the Town received confirmation from Rep. McKenna that the House has enacted its Chapter 90 bond legislation for $200 million. Douglas is slated to receive $363,912, which is currently the only source of funding the Town has for road and bridge projects. This number is slightly lower than the amount received for this fiscal year. The current year’s funds will be largely used for the Cedar Street bridge. Best practices have shown that priority one is to take care of the best roads that you have, and do major projects as funding becomes available.
Regarding the lawsuit filed against the Town pertaining to ownership of the Cedar Street bridge, the US District Court in the District of MA has granted Douglas summary judgement. Mr. Wojcik distributed copies of the judgement.
The Town received a stormwater management review report. Some of the BMP’s require minor maintenance. The pavement management report, which has been completed, and the stormwater system report provide a significant basis for the work planning of the Highway Dept. going forward.
Mr. Wojcik feels the public should actively the review the Dept. of Elementary and Secondary Education’s (DESE) guidelines for reopening schools in the fall. By the end of August, the School Dept. has to file three plans with DESE: one for all the students back in the buildings, one for remote learning, and one for blending remote learning and in-person lessons. There is a large cost associated with making those plans happen. The issue is very disruptive to students and their families. Mr. Wojcik feels the process needs to be publicized, transparent, and feedback needs to be gathered and acted upon. Mr. Wojcik offered help to the School Dept. from the Town departments, however these plans are primarily the responsibility of the School Dept. The School Dept. will be attending the 7/7/20 BOS meeting.

5. Open Session for Topics Not Reasonably Anticipated 48 Hours in Advance of Meeting (26:29)
Mr. Morse stated that he has been approached to ask the Safety Committee to look at installing a crosswalk between the Highway and Fire Departments and Family Convenience.
Teresa Matteson of Z&T joined the meeting remotely and asked if the BOS had received her formal request for a Town Meeting warrant article. The article regards amending a bylaw to create a 1200’ buffer zone between retail marijuana establishments. Mr. Morse explained the reason why the BOS is the licensing authority rather than establishing marijuana zones. There are no buffer zones for any other retail establishments in Douglas. Ms. Matteson argued that marijuana is a different industry than other retail, and she asked that the issue be put before the public for them to vote on.
Mr. Wojcik stated that retail marijuana is allowed in any zone that allows retail. If you add a 1200’ buffer, you are saying that those few small blocks zoned for retail are now “hands-off”. Traffic considerations are left to the Planning Board. Mr. Davis suggested that a buffer zone could be considered on a case-by-case basis as part of the licensing procedure. Mr. Wojcik suggested that the BOS put rules and regulations around the issuance of licenses. A discussion was held. It was decided to consult Town Counsel and put this item on the agenda for the 7/7/20 meeting.
The warrant for the September Town Meeting closes 7/7/20 so that the warrant can be posted on 8/4/20.

6. Adjournment (59:11)
Mr. Cortese made a motion at 7:59 PM to adjourn. Mr. Hughes seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote: Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis – Aye, Mike Hughes – Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.

Respectfully submitted,


Mary Wright
Recording Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2020 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron