BOS - August 18, 2020 - REVISED

BOS - August 18, 2020 - REVISED

Postby Suzanne Kane » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Board of Selectmen
Remote Meeting
August 18, 2020

7:00 pm

• Call to Order by Roll Call
• Chairman’s Announcements

1. EDC Major Project Announcement – Bob Minarik (EDC), Kevin Lobisser, and
Andy Leonard.

2. Town Meeting with the Town Moderator and Town Clerk

3. Approve September 2020 Spending Plan – Possible Vote(s)

4. Update on Food Service Program Investigation - Possible Vote(s)

5. Discussion on MMA Support of Police Bill – Possible Vote(s)

6. Annual Appointments Up For Renewal – Possible Vote(s)
• ZBA Application - Forget – Possible Vote(s)

7. Approve & Sign Easement between Town of Douglas and Cahill's - Possible Vote(s)

8. Approve Minutes – Possible Vote(s)

9. Administrators Report & COVID – 19 Update

10. Open Session for Topics Not Reasonably Anticipated 48 Hours in Advance of
the Meeting

11. Adjournment
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Future Agenda Item: Aug. 25th: Woodland Rd Layout Hearing at 7:00 pm.
Interview for Board of Health Opening
TBD: New Beer & Wine License App. for EZ Mart
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
For Remote Participation Video Conferencing and Screen Sharing:

Go to: https://spaces.zang.io/spaces/5e8396f3f94eb61b4267da9a

Dial In Number: 1 855-378-8822
Space ID: 498-740-187
Password: 1234


If you do not have a camera and microphone on your computer, you will be prompted to dial in and will default into the browser as a screen share only participant. There is no client required for people to participate, all they need to do is go to the URL listed above or Dial In via the 855 number and enter the Meeting ID.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Town Meeting Timeline

August 20th: Return Flyer to Suzanne to format.

August 25th: Deadline to get Flyer to the printer.

September 3rd: Printer to deliver flyer to town.

September 5th: Deadline to send ATM warrant to Town Clerk

September 8th: Deliver flyer to the Post Office.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
August 18, 2020 - BOS Mintes.pdf
(234.13 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

BOARD OF SELECTMEN
MEETING MINUTES
August 18, 2020
Approved August 25, 2020

Call to Order

Chair Kevin Morse called the Board of Selectmen (BOS) meeting to order 7:01 PM in the Resource Room at the Municipal Center. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, participants were invited to join the meeting by video conference.

ATTENDANCE:
Board: Kevin Morse (Chair), Tim Bonin, David Cortese, Hal Davis (remote), Mike Hughes (Remote), Matt Wojcik (Town Administrator), Suzanne Kane (Administrative Assistant-Absent)
Other Staff and Citizens (remote): William Cundiff (Town Engineer), Jeanne Lovett (Finance Director), Keith Menard (Town Moderator-in person), Ann Stuart, Police Chief Nick Miglionico, Fire Chief Kent Vinson (in person), Scott Duncan, and others.

• Call to Order by Roll Call (00:07)

• Chairman’s Announcements (00:28)


1. Economic Development Commission’s (EDC) Major Announcement-Bob Minarik, Kevin Lobisser, and Andy Leonard (00:28)
Mr. Minarik of the EDC joined the meeting, along with Mr. Lobisser of Lobisser Corp. and Mr. Leonard of Pyne Sand & Stone. Mr. Lobisser stated that the proposed project would be located at the current site of the McIntyre loam pit off of Northeast Main Street. He is proposing the construction of a 1 million sq. ft. distribution-style building with associated employee and trailer parking. It is their intention to serve the facility with Town water, Town sewer, and natural gas. Mr. Lobisser provided a handout. The preliminary design shows direct access to Gilboa Street. Those 17 acres are currently owned by the Town. Mr. Lobisser described the benefits of the site.
It is currently not known who the tenant would be. Mr. Lobisser and Mr. Leonard would secure the property, and then develop a partnership with a large national real estate organization, who would fund the construction and do the marketing for the building. The user would most likely be a large Fortune 500 company. A company such as that will not commit to a site until they know the project will move forward. The warehouse could have 500 employees.
A major expansion of Gilboa Street is not foreseen at this time. A discussion was held.

2. Town Meeting with the Town Moderator and Town Clerk (23:48)
In the packet is the Annual Town Meeting (ATM) Warrant, a Town Meeting Timeline, and other related emails and materials.
Mr. Menard joined the meeting and reviewed the protocol for the 9/12/20 ATM at the elementary school’s field. Everyone will be required to wear a mask, 100 chairs will be 6’ apart, and there will be a section for those who cannot wear a mask. Everyone will be required to stay seated once they are seated.
Christopher Hubbard of Douglas owns Emergency Production, Inc. which does live event production on a large scale. Mr. Hubbard suggested two large monitors on either side of the podium. Mr. Hubbard also has a wireless mic system, and he will donate that equipment. Mr. Menard will bring a generator and his own sound system. When someone from the audience has a question, Mr. Menard will bring a mic to them and wipe it down after it is used.
Mr. Menard next reviewed the warrant. He does not want to separate out Article 3. Mr. Menard plans to take motions from the floor for Articles 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11. He will seek to combine Articles 5, 6, 7, & 8. Article 4 should be on its own. There have not been any significant changes to Article 9 other than the COLA increase of 1.75%. Ms. Lovett stated that the new Assistant Fire Chief position is an M4. Mr. Menard asked for a map for Article 12.
Article 13: Mr. Cundiff joined the meeting remotely and explained that the Town has been awarded a $500,000 grant to improve the Cedar Street bridge. In order to do the project, a number of small easements need to be taken, a majority of which are temporary and for construction purposes only.
Article 14: Solar Bylaw: Mr. Cundiff explained that the Planning Board was concerned with the number and size of the solar projects coming into Town. This bylaw sets a threshold for what is allowed by-right (under 30kw). Projects above 30kw will be allowed in all districts by Special Permit. Currently, under the Dover Amendment, solar projects are exempt from zoning laws. Mr. Wojcik stated that Douglas’ zoning code includes a sweeping exemption for municipal facilities. Mr. Cundiff was not aware of this exemption.
Article 17: Mr. Cundiff explained that the Planning Board is asking to install highway bounds on Conservation Drive. A similar article was passed last year for Shady Knolls Estates.
Article 20: Mr. Morse explained that the BOS is asking to increase the number of marijuana licenses it can issue from 3 to 5 to match the number of liquor licenses they can issue.
Article 22 will most likely be passed over.

3. Approve September 2020 Spending Plan-Possible Vote(s) (52:41)
In the packet is the September 2020 1/12th Spending Plan and other related materials.
Mr. Wojcik explained that the School number is real.
Mr. Cortese made a motion to approve the September 2020 Spending Plan as presented. Mr. Davis seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote: Tim Bonin-Aye, Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis-Aye, Mike Hughes – Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.

4. Update on Food Service Program Investigation-Possible Vote(s) (52:21)
Mr. Morse stated that he heard from Town Counsel, who has issued subpoenas to the School District for emails specific to the Food Service Program.

5. Discussion on MMA Support of Police Bill-Possible Vote(s) (55:31)
Mr. Bonin has drafted a letter. The BOS will review the letter when it is complete. A discussion was held.

6. Annual Appointments Up for Renewal-Possible Vote(s) (1:04:37)
In the packet is a list of BOS Re-Appointments for FY2021, applications, and related emails and materials.
Mr. Morse stated that there are new applicants for Board of Health and Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA). He recommended that the annual appointments be approved, except for Board of Health and ZBA, until the applicants can come before the BOS. The BOS agreed.
ZBA Appointment-Ron Forget. Mr. Forget applied to be a member of the ZBA, however the ZBA recommended that he be appointed as an Alternate. A discussion was held.
Mr. Davis made a motion to appoint all the members whose terms are up for reappointment, except for the Board of Health and the Zoning Board of Appeals. Mr. Hughes seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote: Tim Bonin – Aye, Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis - Aye, Mike Hughes – Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.
All applicants for the Board of Health and ZBA will be invited to come before the BOS.

7. Approve and Sign Easement between Town of Douglas and Cahill’s-Possible Vote(s) (1:12:57)
In the packet is an email from Byron Andrews dated August 17, 2020, an easement, and other related maps and materials.
Mr. Cundiff stated that Lake Shore Road is a private way. When the applicant came to the Planning Board for an ANR, the Board had some issues with the quality of the road. The Planning Board asked for some improvements, which the Cahills made. One of the things requested was a turnaround for Highway and Emergency vehicles. In order to do this, an easement is needed on the lot of the house. Town Counsel has reviewed the documentation. Mr. Cundiff is holding the mylars pending the acceptance of this easement.
Mr. Cortese made a motion to approve the easement between the Town of Douglas and Cahill as presented. Mr. Hughes seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote: Tim Bonin – Aye, Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis - Aye, Mike Hughes – Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.

8. Approve Minutes: August 10, 2020 Regular Session-Possible Vote(s) (1:15:56)
Mr. Hughes made a motion to approve the August 10, 2020 minutes of the Board of Selectmen regular session meeting as presented. Seconded by Mr. Cortese. Roll Call Vote: Tim Bonin – Aye, Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis - Aye, Mike Hughes – Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.

9. Administrator’s Report and COVID-19 Update (1:17:02)
In the packet is the post office lease agreement and other related materials.
Mr. Wojcik stated that the community garden has provided 100 lbs. of fresh produce to the food pantry, and he hopes to reach 300-400 lbs. before the season is over. He thanked all the volunteers.
Mr. Wojcik stated that they are starting to feel the time pressure regarding the plan to open the schools. He feels they are not at a level of organization he is comfortable with. He is trying to make sense of the PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) purchase. He has been unsuccessful in his attempts to get a written purchase description for the PPE, which is required for all purchases over $10,000. A discussion was held regarding whether or not the School could order PPE from Amazon. PPE will be three times as expensive by the end of the year. Mr. Wojcik feels this would be a good time to establish the value of an inventory management system.
The first day of school is scheduled to be 9/16/20. The Fire Chief and Building Commissioner are not satisfied with how the School Dept. plans to move people through the buildings. The plan is not currently compliant with building safety and building codes. The requirement is that there needs to be a floor plan for every floor of every building. Mr. Wojcik stated that ,if the schools are not compliant, schools will not open on 9/16/20. Chief Vinson stated that he and the Building Inspector want each plan stamped by an architect. A discussion was held.

10. Open Session for Topics Not Reasonably Anticipated 48 Hours in Advance of Meeting (01:39:39)
There was no discussion.

11. Adjournment (1:40:14)
Mr. Cortese made a motion at 8:41 PM to adjourn. Mr. Bonin seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote: Tim Bonin – Aye, Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis – Aye, Mike Hughes – Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.

Respectfully submitted,


Mary Wright
Recording Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2020 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron