BOS - April 24, 2007 Workshop

BOS - April 24, 2007 Workshop

Postby Suzanne Kane » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:49 pm

Board of Selectmen
Workshop
April 24, 2007
Approved November 6, 2007


Call to Order:

Madam Chair Shirley Mosczynski called the workshop to order at 6:00 pm.
In attendance:Paula Brouillette–Vice Chair, Mike Hughes, Mitch Cohen, Executive Administrator Michael Guzinski and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane

Mike G reviewed the following:
-Senior Van:
Sen. Moore’s Aide called-the van is tentatively arriving in Sutton beginning of June
-Conservation Land Ceremony: A 45 acre parcel off Mumford Street dedicated to Leon Mosczynski on Thursday, April 26th at 2pm
-EDC 4-Town Tour: Delayed until early Fall
-Upgrading of Street Lights on Main St: Friday night by National Grid
-Town Meeting Motions/Explanations: Done by next Tuesday
-Blackstone Valley Chamber of Commerce: In the process of establishing a shared regional planner. Consensus of the Board: Mike G to send a letter of support.
-School Budget: Spoke to Dean, possibly cut approximately another $75,000, not without pain. One time purchase of new books and modulars $170,000, not part of their Operational Budget. Makes since doing it this year, not going to be able to do it next year. This has been a struggle for them working on putting together the first real budget they’ve had in years.
-School Committee Meeting: Some members of FinCom will attend tomorrow night
Discussion: Interested in joint discussion asap , how to move this along and have an agreement how to resolve it before Town Meeting. Miss-management of previous administration has put them in this position. Future implementation needed of policies on Free Cash and Stabilization. Next year’s budgeting process has to start the day after Town Meeting. Conversation with School Committee should focus on use of these one time revenues.
Consensus of the Board: Mike G to set up a joint meeting with FinCom and School Committee. Possible dates: Tuesday May 1st or Wednesday May 2nd at 6:30.-School Staffing: Superintendent Nancy Lane relayed she would have to make some painful, necessary changes.
-New Vendor Upstairs (Whitin Daycare and Pre-School): Cost allocations need to be worked out before the first day of school.

Executive Administrator Evaluation (Handout-Mike’s Self Evaluation):
Discussion: Shirley- Explained the Board used the same mutually agreed upon eval as was used when Mike was hired on March 1st, 2005. Scores ranged from 78 – 86 out of a possible 100, average of 82. Will give copies as explained in the draft letter from the Board (Handout).
-Can attest to a strong presence in the Union Negotiations, good and strong relationship with the school administration, always dependable, flexible, accessible, very professional, good knowledge of municipal law, look out what’s best for the Town of Douglas, dedicated, work well with Safety Committee to improve some of the safety issues on our roads, willing to attend Department Head and Committee meetings, people look to you for advice and feel they can come to you.
Mike H – Job description and the structure we currently have makes it difficult at times to evaluate you in some of the areas on the evaluation, because you’re limited in terms of how effective you can be. Unfair to evaluate on those when some of those things are beyond your control.
Scoring: Mike G- A score of 60 is considered average/ satisfactory/meets expectations, in the 80’s is very good.
Mitch- The Policy Goal was something we (the Board) needed to have worked on and did not move along as we could have. Web page is important (have not done much) that’s secondary to the policy issue and many things have come up to keep you busy. The amount and quality of time committed to this Town is commendable and incredible. To make sure that the goals that we set move along and are discussed on a regular basis maybe make it a rotating item on the agenda or rotate five goals each meeting. Will publicly commit to aiding you and come up with a timeline with the web page when ready. Somehow keeping the goals alive continuously throughout the year would help get things done and keep us informed.
Shirley- Emphasized the Board needs to know when these goals can not be met.
Mike G- Constant conflict, a balance, don’t want to have those times when the public is put off for any length of time. It’s rare most days when we get a 20 minute stretch without some kind of interruption. Policy issues were time issues. Other goals were external issues holding them up. Appreciate the support of the Board, Assistants and staff.
Motion - Mitch Cohen we send the Executive Administrator an annual evaluation letter as presented. Seconded – Mike Hughes. All - aye.
Shirley- Thanked Mike for his self-evaluation, he gave himself the lowest score.

Appointments: Paula- Suzanne is in the process of sending out appointment letters and believe there are two Boards that have people that need to be interviewed. We can’t have goals that are not implemented by those we appoint.
-ZBA- We need to talk those candidates and see if they are going to be participating in supporting in what we as a Board want to be implemented in the Town. Mitch- Appropriate to have interviews with some of the key Boards there are issues with that need to be resolved together and see how the members of that Board react. Regarding fees, want to know how the candidates for appointment or re-appointment will deal with the fee issues, but at the same time we’ve already committed to looking at the fees. Each Board should have a discussion on their own, have all the information together, meet to see if they’re willing to commit to going along with that, if not, think it’s viable to look at appointing a new Board. So far I don’t think I have all the data to meet with ZBA. Shirley- We’ve asked several times for this to happen, sent a couple letters to ZBA along with FinCom and the information we got back didn’t really answer what the real problem is. Mike G- Hard to quantify the true cost to the Town because having poor planning will produce poor projects and will have an impact on the community. Important for them to address proactively how they handle these cases and have professional outside help. The Board members are volunteers not expected to be experts on these things, but you set up systems so you can hire experts and have it not cost the Town money. Shirley- In talking with Mark Bobrowski he said you have to have a well written decision to deal with legal ramifications. Paula- Not trying to micro-manage committees, but if we have a stated goal we should be trying to get that implemented to the people we are appointing. If they believe it shouldn’t be done, explain why and maybe we need to change direction. Mike G- We can present them easily enough with the cost to date for this year of the cases, but to give them an update of every case including executive session the Board would have to decide what would be released to them and would require a bit of work for this office to put together.


-Board of Health Nurse: Paula- Don’t want to micro-manage, but I have not heard a good reason why we can not have the nurse go over to the Senior Center instead of the seniors coming here (Municipal Center) and have to deal with traffic. They don’t use the nurse anymore because they don’t want to come over here. Mike G- Prior disagreements with the previous nurse and the Board of Health.
Shirley- Preference of this Board to meet with each Board at a regular meeting or at a workshop to have more time if needed?
Consensus of the Board: Workshop with ZBA on Tuesday, May 22nd at 6:30 if we can get the information to at least start the discussion.

-Recycling Rate: Mitch- If not the lowest in the State it’s really close. In the bottom ten according to the latest data from the State. Want to get an update on the new arrangement with the Blackstone contract.

-Board of Registrars: Chris Furno (Town Clerk) has been doing it. Mike G- Experience with the Towns worked in is the Clerk serves as a registrar by the nature of her job and that the other members are appointed by the Board of Selectmen. You’re supposed to have somewhat of a balance at least two of each party. If it’s not being done legally it needs to be corrected. Paula- Registrars are supposed to be check and balance just like everything else.
Consensus of the Board: Mike G to get an official opinion from counsel on the appointment of the registrars.

Post Office Parking Lot: Mike G will get an update from Bill (Town Engineer). Planning to start it as soon as school closed so they could finish before school starts again.

Hemlock Street Paving: Mike G will update the Board at next Tuesday’s meeting.

Adjournment- Mitch Cohen made a motion to adjourn at 7:12 pm.
Seconded – Mike Hughes. All – aye.



Respectfully Submitted;


Jane L. Alger
Administrative Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2007 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest