BOS - May 15. 2007

BOS - May 15. 2007

Postby Suzanne Kane » Thu May 10, 2007 1:37 pm

Board of Selectmen
Agenda
May 15, 2007



7:00 pm
1. Call to Order

2. Chairman’s Announcements

7:10 pm

3. Exit Conference – FY05 and FY06 Audits

4. Citizen’s Forum

5. F.I.R.M Road Use

6. Special Permit – One Day Alcohol – Beagle Club

7. Hal Davis – Expedited Permitting

8. Administrators Report

9. Old / New Business

10. Executive Session - Collective Bargaining

11. Adjournment
_____________________________________________________________
Future Agenda Items:
June 19th:
License Violations
TBD: Skate Park Update; BOS Policies; Fraud Policy; Financial Policy; ACO Contract; Personnel Policies
____________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________
Douglas Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes – May 15, 2007
Approved January 15, 2008

1. Call to Order:
Chair Mike Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:03 pm.
In attendance: Paula Brouillette, Mitch Cohen, John Bombara, Executive Administrator Michael Guzinski and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane.
Others present: Pam Holmes-FinCom, Tim Harrison-Auditor and partner with Borgatti Harrison & Co, Jeanne Lovette-Town Accountant, Town Engineer-Bill Cundiff, Cliff VanReed, Lisa Mead, Hal Davis & Carol Gogolinski-Economic Development Commission, Building Commissioner-Adelle Reynolds, Bar Manager & Officer of the Blackstone Valley Beagle Club-Christine Nelson, T&G Reporter-Steve Foskett

2. Chair Announcements: Mike H Honored for the opportunity to serve as Chairman for the upcoming year. Hope to provide as much help as possible moving us forward and pointing in the right direction. Looking forward and excited about this upcoming year. John Bombara was selected to serve as Vice-Chairman over the next year as well.

3. Exit Conference – Review FY05 & FY06 Audits (Handouts): Mike H invited Jeanne & Tim to the table. Tim briefly went through the key highlights and answered questions.
-Basic Financial Statements- Everything technically is a product of the Town of Douglas, the only thing belonging to the Accounting Firm is on Page 1 & 2 including an un-qualified opinion otherwise known as a clean opinion which means there were no discrepancies. A written discussion analysis by management to provide an over view of these statements. Bond and interest rating are very good.
-Management Letters- Some issues are carry overs from the prior year, but do take time, are being worked on and would be gone in next years’ Management Letter.
Mike H commented this years management letter is much smaller and tells us that Jeanne is doing a tremendous job in straightening things out. Thanked Tim and Jeanne.

4. Citizen’s Forum: Pam Holmes Welcomed new members of the Board, the new Chairman and hope everyone will work together and move forward.
Re-org: Thought it would be on camera and suggested the Board consider it be a public meeting instead of a workshop in the future.
As FinCom Chair (Handout)-Every year the DOR, Division of Local Services conducts a “New Officials Finance Forum”-June 7th, College of the Holy Cross. Reviewed the program basics: tax rate setting process, explanation of the components of a good Municipal Reserve and Debt Policy. All day session, cost is $50.00, encouraged all to attend, make reservations by May 25th.

5. Town Use- F.I.R.M. (Rt 16/Wallum Lake Road Sunday, September 16, 2007): Mike G Usually handles all Town uses. Make the Board aware this one is a Triathlon (as last year). Police Chief has approved based on the required 4 Weekend Detail Officers for the event. Being no questions or concerns from the Board, will approve this use and forward to F.I.R.M so they can go ahead with planning of the event.

6. Beagle Club Special One Day Alcohol Permit (Handout):Chris Nelson came to the table. Suzanne Application submitted to sell all alcohol outside on Sunday, June 24th, 11 am – 10 pm, these hours fall within their current license. Fire Chief Gonynor has no comments and Police Chief Foley asks you approve contingent upon them hiring two Detail Officers from 2:00 – 10:00 pm. Chris This is the first year we’ve done this, could have 20 people or 120. Only comment is the two Officers. Family Fun Day is from noon to 6:00 pm, not open to the public after just want to cover for the clean up crew.
Motion - Mitch Cohen approve the permit as presented contingent upon having two Detail Officers from 2:00 pm – 10:00 pm. Seconded - Paula Brouillette. All - aye.
*Note:Chris Nelson to contact Chief Foley to see if he will allow one officer if hours are changed to 10:00 am - 6:00 pm.

7. Expedited Permitting:Hal Davis & Lisa Mead came to the table (Handouts)- Hal Town Meeting approved Article 14 which allows the Selectmen to submit an application to the State to approve two areas in Town for Expedited Permitting: Westerly side property owned by Jim Sullivan and the easterly side owned by Pyne Sand & Gravel and Devries Corp. were identified by our Carter Burgess economical study. Voted on and approved by Economical Development Commission. These prime areas were zoned industrial and the object is to identify/designate as expedited permitting areas that entitles them to numerous advantages with the State. Priority for State funds, puts them high up on the radar map for any new investment opportunities for the Town. Purpose of this statute is if the Town accepts this as Town Meeting has already authorized to do, we could commit that people could get permits within 180 days, presuming they have a complete application, no requirement if the Town has no objections in those areas. Lisa is here because we were told by the Expediting Permitting Office monies appropriated by the State are going to go back into the General Fund and we have an opportunity to get a grant of up to $150,000 to carry out this program. The last meeting is May 24th, if we miss that opportunity we have to go back to September and take a chance on appropriation, and we think the standards for the use of the grant would be much tighter than they are now. In addition, the benefit for the Town from the grant, we could hire an Economic Development Permitting Individual who could work on for example; the 4-Town Group on the easterly side of Town, on Rt 146.
Lisa Two weeks ago worked with partner, Mark who helped on the Uxbridge application for technical assistance and Uxbridge Town Manager Jill Myers. They were granted a little less than $150,000 because of one of the things the Board did not like. Briefly discussed Chapter 43 D. It requests the community to have more transparency to the process for those sites designated as 40 sites for potential developers how to navigate the permitting for those areas in an effort to have them be encouraged to come to Massachusetts. Told Bill, Town Engineer, Massachusetts ranks second slowest for permitting in the country. The goal is have a community set up a system where they coordinate regulations so they all work together instead apart from one another. There can be reasons to extend the 180 time frame. This is only for the priority development sites. Briefed on the requirement tasks. The 120 days starts upon the acceptance of the funds from the Commonwealth, there is no call back on the grant money, work towards your goal with good faith efforts, a review in 120 days then 360 days if needed. One benefit is generating tax revenue, the other is you do get priority on state grants.
To possibly add additional parcels in the future, you can go back to the State for priority site designation. You’re going to review regulations as they apply generally to those districts, do not see a reason why you could not amend your application or ask for more funds to do that. Don’t know the exact answer, but they have been very flexible with what they’ve approved because their encouraging communities to do this.
Hal Think it’s a great thing. Originally 43 D was a Town wide thing and they’d be reluctant to have expedited permitting. Very interested in the 4 Town Group on 146 and portions of the grant funds can help us advance this and use this pool of money for a common interest. Mass Alliance for Economic Development will prioritize those areas that have gone through the expedited permitting process. Economic Development whole heartedly endorses it, how efficiently and quickly you can get permits because time is money.
Lisa The application has to be in tomorrow. Jill Myers did mention the possibility of working with other communities in the 4 Town area. Speaking to April Anderson head of the Coordination at the state level, about the 4 Town area she was excited as members of that Board are encouraging regionalization. One of the things put in the application is that the coordinator as well as your other consultants look at permitting requirements in the three other communities and could make sure the zoning, planning and permitting requirements were the same. So if a person came in and the land overlapped in other communities they would know what to expect.
Mike H Concern of the 120 days, when it starts-June, July and August-three of the bigger vacation months. If you look at the amount of work that needs to get done and amount of people you need to have involved, are we setting ourselves up not to meet that deadline.
Hal That’s what the consultants are for, what Mark and Lisa would be working with.
Lisa We’ll probably know next week whether or not you’re going to get the money. Once you know you’re going to get the money you could start some of the work. A lot of this is driven by your consultants, money put aside for 18 months for a permitting coordinator. Reviewed the $150,000 budget breakdown.
Mike G Have spoken with Bill and have a concern about the four month time frame and strain it might put on in house staff to meet the deadline. Re-assuring to hear no major penalties for the community if not met. My understanding at this point is that most of this work would be done by outside consultants through the grant and make sure there’s enough time for Zoning, Planning and Conservation to digest everything and work with the consultants. If the deadline can be met, comfortable moving forward.
Bill Cundiff came to the table. It’s an opportunity you can’t pass up because of the amount of grant money available now. Concerned with the 120 day timeline for reviewing bylaws and regulations to make sure our structure/system works. If there are changes warranted as a result of the review, there are public hearings, go to Town meeting and voted on and the 120 days is a short timeline. Grace period allowed on the back end if needed.
Lisa Re-iterated from April the concern of an application received and not completed at 180 days, they would work with you to help get it done. Applicant is supposed to go through a pre-application process prior to applying for the 180 day clock to tick and has to meet whatever requirements there are. You do have the ability to say no to this application.
Paula If we proceed with this, it is mandatory that in the next month we have a meeting with all affected Boards. There is no absenteeism, no reason for a Board not to be represented. If this Board is really committed to taking this opportunity, then the rest of the Boards behind it better be committed making sure this works. We’ll facilitate and encourage the process along.
Hal Very good comment to those here and people that aren’t here. Part of Economic Development is getting everybody to work together and maybe a lot of other things will grow out of this.
Paula recommends: 1-Have the Treasurer not accept this money until Mike G gives approval of the money. 2-Meeting of all applicable Boards, Elected, Appointed, Enterprise and Committees involved meet with the Board of Selectmen.
Mike G & Bill Reviewed and approved the application.
Motion - Mitch Cohen submit the application as presented and we a send letter to the Treasurer requesting her not to accept the grant funds without approval of the Board of Selectmen and have the Executive Administrator to co-ordinate a joint meeting of all affected members within the next 30 days. Seconded - Paula Brouillette. All - aye.
*Requires Town Clerk’s signature. Will be ready between 9 and 9:30 tomorrow morning.

8. Administrators Report: Mike G
-Community Sign Approval and Contract with Brotherton Lettering:
Last Thursday the Town Engineer, Fire Chief, Highway Superintendent and I met with Mr. Brotherton at the Fire Station. Agreed and recommend the sign be put on the side of the swale on the corner of Ridell Road. Request the Boards approval and sign the contract. If approved tonight the completion date goal would be end of June. Total cost $8, 233 original appropriation at Town Meeting of $5,000, Fire Fighter’s Association donation of $1,000 and surplus in the Selectmens expense account to cover, checked with the Town Accountant. Sign will be internally lit and have 4” lettering. Approval from Conservation Commission, Highway will cut the trench across the driveway to lay the electrical conduit. Not able to come to an agreement about the style/design or placement of the sign with the Library Trustees after several meetings. Previous lower bid did not meet requirements, public safety issues placing it down town.
Motion - Mitch Cohen to approve the contract as presented. Seconded - Paula Brouillette.
Opposed - John Bombara. Passed and approved.


-Fuel Oil Bid with School (Handout): Peterson Oil, currently used, $2.1195 a gallon for FY08.
Mitch Cohen to approve the Bid. Seconded - Paula Brouillette. All - aye.
-Class III Junk Dealer License (Handout): Bylaws reviewed by Town Counsel advised if granted, would be in violation of the Towns’ Zoning Bylaws.
Consensus of the Board inform the applicant a Class III Junk Dealer License is not allowed in Town. Will also inform the Building Commissioner.
-Appointment Process of Registrars (Handout): Reviewed the memo from Atty. Lauren Goldberg who referenced MGL c.51 §15.
Consensus of the Board to add registrars to list of appointees by the Board of Selectmen.
Will also inform the Town Clerk.
-Informational Session: June 12th at 7:00 pm on the Open Meeting Law, Public Records Law and Conflict of Interest Law given by Lauren Goldberg from Kopelman & Paige at no charge to the Community. Will tape the meeting and put on the web site. Open to the public.
-Summer Hours at the Town Hall: Last year from Memorial Day to Labor Day the Community Development Office and Selectmens Office open an hour later Monday – Thursday and close to the public on Fridays. Fridays, especially in the summer no traffic in the office or public phone calls, additional traffic in the afternoon Monday – Thursday from people returning home from work. Trial last week got positive feedback from the public.
Consensus of the Board to allow.-
Boston Post Cane Case (Handout): Replica made by the students at Blackstone Valley Voc Tech (shown). Done at just the cost of materials which was under $300. Suggestions needed where to display. Thanked:Ted Morin-Vocational Coordinator, Penny Mohr-Administrative Assistant, John Bonczek-Carpentry Instructor and Nancy Flynn & George Creeley from the Paint & Design Department. Students: Sean Crawford a Sr.-Blackstone, Vin Hashey a Sr.-Uxbridge and David Slavin a Jr.-Milford and Suzanne Kane for all the coordinating.
-Sheriff Glodis Office: Received a call. They will send a crew to do some work at the cemeteries and work with Conservation Commission to clear brush and do some landscaping next week. Thanks relayed. Highway Department will be working with them.
-Highway Department Memo (Handout –Read): Several surplus materials received acquired through the efforts of Kate Murphy of Mass Highway. Congratulations to John-Highway Superintendent for going after free state materials and bringing them back to the Town.

9. Old / New Business: Old - None
New: Paula Welcome our two new members to the Board and acknowledge the public service of the two previous members: Dave Furno-2 ½ years and Shirley Mosczynski our recent Chair-9 years. Thanked them for their service and look forward to working with the new members on the Board and old!

10. Executive Session:
Motion - Mitch Cohen to go into Executive Session at 8:50 pm for the purpose of Collective Bargaining and to leave Executive Session for the purpose of adjournment.
Seconded - Paula Brouillette. All - aye.
Roll Call Vote: Mitch Cohen-aye, Paula Brouillette-aye, Mike Hughes-aye, John Bombara-aye.

11. Adjournment- Mitch Cohen motion to adjourn at 9:38 pm.
Seconded – Paula Brouillette. All – aye.

Respectfully submitted,

Jane L. Alger
Administrative Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2007 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron