BOS - September 18, 2007

BOS - September 18, 2007

Postby Suzanne Kane » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:51 am

Board of Selectmen
Agenda
September 18, 2007


7:00 pm

• Call to Order

• Chairman’s Announcements

• Citizen’s Forum

7:05 pm
1. Appointment – Housing Authority (until next election)

7:15 pm
2. Pole Petition Hearing – Plan # 2007-102

7:25 – 8:05 pm
3. Plumbing Inspector Interviews

4. ADA Report

5. Sign Policy

6. Webster Water/Sewer Agreement

7. Administrator’s Report

8. Old/New Business

9. Executive Session - Litigation

10. Adjournment
_____________________________________________________________
Future Agenda Items
Sept. 25th:
Administrator’s Goals

Oct. 2nd: ConCom – Water Conservation; Open Warrant for STM; Expediting Permit Update; W/C Policy

TBD: Skate Park Update; Fraud Policy; Personnel Policy; Financial Policy; Cable Request; Government Study Report

Note: All times are estimates unless denoted as a hearing.
_____________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________
Douglas Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes - September 18, 2007
Approved, May, 6, 2008

Call to Order:
Chairman Mike Hughes called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm in the Resource Room at the Municipal Center.
In Attendance: Vice Chair John Bombara, Paula Brouillette, Mitch Cohen, Scott Medeiros, Executive Administrator Mike Guzinski, Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane.
Others Present: Joe Yacino-BOH Agent, Mike Yacino-Conservation Commission Vice Chair, Diane St. George-Housing Authority Chair and Jack Kelly, Ken Ballou-Housing Authority State Appointment, Robert Gentile, Robert Brazeau, Peter Harper, Bob Josey, Larry Wiersma, Citizens from Webster.
Tribune Reporter-Tom Mattson.

Chair Announcements – Mike Hughes:
Planning Board Public Forum: Planning for Douglas. An overview of existing conditions, Tuesday, September 25th from 7:00 – 9:00 pm, Municipal Center Resource Room. Public invited.

Citizen’s Forum: Joe and Mike Yacino came forward (Handout). Mike Yacino read a statement representing a cooperative effort between Conservation and Board of Health regarding Douglas Water Resources and Population Growth. Here to inform the Board and when research is complete hopefully provide enough data to consider adjusting the way water is used. Our two Boards have agreed this project is worth pursuing and have volunteered to gather and organize information.

1. Appointment – Housing Authority: Diane St. George, Jack Kelly, Ken Ballou and Robert Gentile came forward. Suzanne It’s an elected position, open and has been posted for a long time, appointment would be until the next election. Ms. St. George Their Board met with Mr. Gentile (only applicant) this evening, application reviewed, approved and general consensus was that the Board of Selectmen appoint him. Mr. Gentile briefed the Board about himself.
Motion- Scott Medeiros to appoint Robert Gentile Jr. to the Housing Authority until the next election. Seconded- Mitch Cohen. All – aye.

2. Pole Petition Hearing Plan # 2007 – 102: No Mass Electric Representative or abutters showed.
Mike Hughes
opened the hearing, read the petition, no further discussion, closed the hearing.
Motion- Mitch Cohen grant the application for pole plan # 2007 – 102 as presented.
Seconded- Paula Brouillette. All - aye.


3. Plumbing Inspector Interviews: Robert Brazeau, Peter Harper, Bob Josey, Larry Wiersma came forward respectively to state their interest, qualifications for the position and take questions from the Board. Discussion: Douglas resident, knowledge, full / part time, availability, alternate position.
Motion- Scott Medeiros to appoint Bob Josey as full time Plumbing Inspector to a term ending June 30, 2008. Seconded- Mitch Cohen. All - aye.

4. ADA Report: Mike H Requested feedback from the Board on the draft from previous meeting. Mike G It was reviewed by Department Heads and Staff, feedback received, report tweaked before the Board received it.
Discussion: Implementation of some items are costly but necessary, Library continues to be identified as a major significant area, Capital to look at funding plan, will get an electronic report.
Consensus of the Board to move forward.

5. Sign Policy (Handout): Mike G reviewed official policy for new community bulletin board at the Fire Station followed by Board discussion. If the Board has any comments or recommended changes, they can be inserted and prepared for ratification or continue discussion at a future meeting.
Place on a future agenda according to the timeline of accepting general policies within the next month. Lettering on top three lines has increased to 6”, bottom line to remain at 4”.

6. Webster Water / Sewer Agreement (Handout): Mike G In working out the agreement, since both towns use Kopelman & Paige serving as Town Counsel and under regulations for professional conduct, we must have a disclosure that’s approved and signed by both clients. They are going to assist in setting up the base contract, will have to abstain from any financial issues. Recommending the Board sign the Determination of Disclosure to allow Kopelman & Paige to act as our counsel in arranging this agreement with the town of Webster. Discussion: Prefer to have a legal document ahead of time to review.
Consensus of the Board to hold until the next meeting.
Webster Lake Association residents asked about the project. Mike G We have parcels of land zoned industrial and looking to build up our commercial base by bringing in businesses. No specific plan at this time for this property. In talking with Webster –extreme use would be 300,000 gallons of water per day.
Linda Littleton requested a member from the Association be notified about any future projects.

7. Administrator’s Report: Mike G
-43D Grant Amendment Agreement between the Town of Douglas and Blatman, Bobrowski & Mead (Handout): Ms. Barrett
would be a sub-consultant under this project, requires approval of the Board, her work to do a financial analysis is needed as part of the 120 day period to get this project in expedited permitting set up,she’ll be working directly with Town and Permit Coordinator. Like to get her working as soon as possible
Motion- Mitch Cohen to approve the amendment to the agreement between the Town of Douglas and Blatman, Bobrowski and Mead as presented. Seconded- Paula Brouillette. All - aye.

-SBA Reimbursements for the new High School and additions to Elementary School: Working out some issues with the State regarding the costs, able to get majority of the costs for moving the modular classrooms included as part of the reimbursement from the State. Town Accountant got information from the State, reviewed by Clark Raoul our Financial Advisor, Town Treasurer and Dean Iacobucci at the school. State only gives 10 days to repeal the numbers. Asking for the Board’s approval of paperwork to accept the State’s figures in regards to the reimbursement to the Town and authorization for Mike Hughes to sign the document before passed to the other necessary parties.
Consensus of the Board to pass until workshop next Tuesday.

-Hemlock Street Paving: This will begin in the next few weeks. Highway and Community Development have been working to get a binder coat down before winter. That should leave work in the spring to put down a top coat and painting of the street lines.

8. Old / New Business:
Old: Paula Brouillette-Blackstone Valley Board of Selectmen Meeting:
October 4th, Valley Tech from 6:30 -8:30. Major topic is the P&W Rail
Scott Medeiros-Letter to Town Counsel: Displeased with conflicting information received and their service. Mike Guzinski sent a letter to Rich Bowen in July informing of our concerns and to follow up with a meeting. Mike G Follow up with Rich Bowen and set up a meeting in October for about a half hour.
Scott Medeiros-Government Study Workshop: Tuesday, October 30th at 6:30 pm.
Mike Hughes-Mike Guzinski’s Goals and Objectives: Workshop next Tuesday
Scott Medeiros-Manchaug Watershed: Called Sen. Moore’s office, was reassured the Act would have very little, if any chance of succeeding without Sutton’s support. Mike G Spoke with Mr. Smith, Sutton Town Administrator this morning who just started, happy to get together in another few weeks.
Mike Hughes-Personnel Policy: Presented previously and agreed to have the Board review and give feedback to Personnel Committee that they’re waiting for. Get it to them by the end of next week. Personnel Board is available to meet with us as a Board or individually if requested.
Scott Medeiros Building Facility Committee: No correspondence with previous Chair Bob White. Mike G tried contacting him also. Received an email today, formally submitted to the Town Clerk, unfortunately another member Mr. Jezerski had to resign. Need to fill some positions so they have quorums at their meetings.
Consensus of the Board to have Mike Guzinski inform the Board they need to proceed with reorg, move on and accept Mr. White’s resignation.
Mitch Cohen
suggested inviting the Board to a joint meeting in October to get an update and see if there’s anything we can do to help them.

New: Scott Medeiros-Cable Audio complaints: Mitch Has been discussed and will review again.
Paula Brouillette-Sidewalks downtown: Thanked John Furno and his crew for their work and the new handicap access.
Paula Brouillette-Old Elementary School: New roof put on, an opportunity to save an old building with a new use and discuss status of that building when the Building Committee comes in. Hopefully some urgency one way or the other instead of sitting there empty. Mike G to get an answer whether the Old Elementary is under the historic designation so there is an ability to get some funds if we are going to move forward to renovate it and gut the inside. An unutilized, beautiful, functional asset down town. Hopefully the Building Committee can give some insight for any suitable use. Discussion: Community Preservation Act for possible funding at a future agenda. Town can adopt and allow to collect additional taxes from residents that the State matches.
Mike Hughes-Open Warrant for the Special Town Meetomg October 27th
Mike Hughes-43D Meeting September 26th Encourage all Boards and Committee to attend.

9. Executive Session: Motion- Scott Medeiros to enter into Executive Session at 8:50 pm for the purposes of Litigation and to leave Executive Session for the purpose of adjournment.
Seconded- Mitch Cohen.
Roll Call Vote: Mitch Cohen-aye, Paula Brouillette-aye, Mike Hughes-aye, John Bombara-aye,
Scott Medeiros-aye. All – aye.

Adjournment: Motion- Mitch Cohen to leave Executive Session at 9:31 pm to adjourn.
Seconded- Paula Brouillette.
Roll Call Vote: Mitch Cohen-aye, Paula Brouillette-aye, Mike Hughes-aye, John Bombara-aye,
Scott Medeiros-aye. All - aye.

10. Adjournment- Mitch Cohen motion to adjourn at 9:31 pm. Seconded- Scott Medeiros. All - aye.



Respectfully submitted,


Jane L. Alger
Administrative Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2007 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron