BOS - October 14, 2008 Workshop

BOS - October 14, 2008 Workshop

Postby Suzanne Kane » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:45 am

Board of Selectmen
Workshop
October 14, 2008
Approved October 21, 2008


• Call to Order:

Chairman Michael Hughes called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm. In attendance: John Bombara (left at 7:05 pm), Paula Brouillette, Mitch Cohen, Scott Medeiros, Executive Administrator Michael Guzinski, and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane.

Other Staff and Citizens: Dennis Bishop

• Warrant for STM:
Michael Guzinski went over the warrant for the Special Town Meeting. Discussion on Article 5 – Manchaug Road Sewer Project, which was submitted after the warrant closed. The general feeling of the Board is that it is a good thing to do but they are not sure if it is ready for this TM based on the fact that they do not have a lot of information to go on. The Board feels the appropriate departments should work to get everything ready for the next town meeting. Consensus to postpone this article until the Annual Town Meeting. Michael Guzinski reported that the warrant will be ready for their signature next Tuesday.

• Special Act to Establish a Town Administrator and a Municipal Finance Department:
Michael Guzinski read his memo. The Board feels the act is a good draft of the overall approach. Discussion ensued taking each section separately.
• Section 1-1: Discussion on length of term and educational qualifications.
• Section 1-2 (b): Discussion about the line explaining who the administrator is not responsible for appointing and/or removing. The goal of the Government Study Committee is to not have any employees report to appointed/elected boards. Consensus to discuss in future. Discussion on the appointment of department heads/police officers being on the 15th day – suggested to possibly extend out to give more time (21 days). Discussion on the language allowing the Town Administrator to delegate to a subordinate or subordinates the authority to appoint or supervise employees…the Board feels a department head should not supervise another department heads. Suggestion to add language to prevent it. Referring to the last paragraph, it was recommended that Michael Guzinski list off the boards the Selectmen appoint in to see if there are any they want someone else to appoint.
• Section 1-2 (d): Discussion on the language; it could be interpreted that the Town Administrators absence without being excused would exclude the Board from meeting – if the Board wants to meet they should be able to meet.
• Section 1-2 (e): The Board recommended adding language to give quarterly updates to the Selectmen containing a one page analysis from the Finance Director.
• Section 1-2-(g): Concerning “rental” of property, where a fee is involved, discussion on removing the word or add “needs Boards approval”. Discussion about using explicit Boards in this section, feeling they should not have this level of detail. Discussion about having all buildings on the Capital Plan. Suggestion to strengthen the language about repair and maintenance of buildings.
• Section 1-2 (h): Discussion that this should be the minimum.
• Section 1-2 (i): Discussion about if there is a way to refer to the school and library without actually naming them (except as defined under state law). Michael Guzinski will check with Town Counsel.
• Section 1-2 (m): Concerning investigations, discussion on having some result or outcome that the Board defines – at some level the Board needs to be aware.
• Section 1-2 (o): Discussion on using the term “regular” and changing it to “open” or “public”.
• Section 1-2 (q): Discussion on keeping approval to the Selectmen or moving it to the Town Administrator and the need if they receive quarterly reports. Discussion that if signature approval goes to the Town Administrator then a copy of expense warrants should go to the Board for review. Discussion on checks and balance being important and the need to move to a policy making board. Michael Guzinski will check with the Town Account about the mechanics in providing copies to the Board.
• Section 1-5: Suggestion to change language from “4 out of 5” members to “2/3rd’s of the current members”.
• Section 2-1: Discussion on Assessors function related to this section and should they have the management of Assessors fall under the scope of this act. Michael Guzinski will look into.
• Section 2-2: Discussion on the minimum qualification for a Finance Director – should they be set? Michael Guzinski will put in draft qualifications.
• Section 2-3: Suggestion to change the language to read the Director of Municipal Finance “may” be the Town Accountant, not “shall” be.
• Section 2-4: Discussion on clarifying salary to include increases – language makes it seem like it is frozen.

Michael Guzinski went over the process to enact a Special Act. Consensus of the Board to bring this to the Annual Town Meeting.

• Board of Selectmen Policies:
Michael Guzinksi gave a summary asking for feedback on his recommendations and a list of any policies the Board feels are missing. Michael Guzinski will ask MMA for a detailed structure.

• Adjournment:
Mitch Cohen made a motion at 8:50 pm to adjourn. Paula Brouillette seconded the motion. All – aye.

Respectfully submitted;


Suzanne Kane
Administrative Assistant
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2008 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron