BOS - November 1, 2004

BOS - November 1, 2004

Postby Suzanne Kane » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:03 pm

Board of Selectmen
Agenda
November 1, 2004

7:00 pm

1. Call to Order

2. Chairman’s Announcements

3. Citizens forum

7:15 pm
4. IACP and Safety Update – Chief Foley

7:30 pm
5. Appointment – Library Building Committee

6. Road Work Update

7. Zoning Changes – Forward to Planning Board

8. Administrators Report

9. Old / New Business

10. Adjournment
____________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________
Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
November 1, 2004
Approved December 7, 2004

1. Call to order:

Madame Chairman Shirley Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. In attendance: Paula Brouillette, Rich Preston, Edward Therrien, David Furno, Executive Administrator Michael Guzinski, and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane.

Other staff and citizens: Police Chief Patrick Foley, Library Building Committee Chairman Merritt Tetreault.

2. Chairman’s Announcements:
There were no announcements.

3. Citizens’ Forum:
No citizens came forward.

4. IACP and Safety Update – Chief Foley:
• AAA Plaque:
Police Chief Foley stated that he and Shirley Mosczynski attended a presentation last Friday at AAA of Southern New England. The Town of Douglas was presented a plaque in recognition of ‘Five or More Years with no Pedestrian Fatalities’. Chief Foley explained that this award recognizes the Towns success in pedestrian safety and continued efforts to educate and protect the citizens of Douglas.
• Safety Committee Meeting:
» Street Light:
Chief Foley reported that the Safety Committee met this afternoon. They discussed a request for a street light on Wallum Lake Road to Walnut Street. The Committee did not feel it meets the criteria for a street light. Chief Foley stated that he went back to 1993 for reported traffic accidents at that intersection and only came up with three. If they end up getting a rash of problems they will re-address the request. The Safety Committee’s recommendation is to install a ‘Stop Ahead’ sign on Walnut Street and two road signs on Wallum Lake Road to warn traffic of the side street.
» School Bus Sign: Chief Foley reported that the Safety Committee received another request to install a School Bus Stop sign at South East Main and Perry Street. He stated it is a busy way and the Committee’s recommendation is to install two ‘School Bus Stop’ signs on Southeast Main Street at the Perry Street extension for North and South bound traffic. Chief Foley stated that once the signs are in, he and Highway Superintendent Edward Therrien will put them in. Paula Brouillette made a motion to approve the recommendations of the Safety Committee as presented by Police Chief Foley for ‘Stop Ahead’ sign on Walnut Street, two road signs on Wallum Lake Road, and two ‘School Bus Stop’ signs on Southeast Main Street at the Perry Street Extension. David Furno seconded the motion. All – aye.
Chief Foley stated the Safety Committee’s next meeting is the 1st week in December. He stated he will give Michael Guzinski additional sign recommendation on December 6th. He stated there were additional things from the previous meeting they would be going over also. Chief Foley stated there is another request for a street light – they should let the residents know that they can pay for a street light themselves.
• Dangerous Intersections: Chief Foley reminded the Board that Rich Preston is concerned with dangerous intersections. He stated the Police Department has seen a decrease in accidents. This weekend they did a bicycle safety program and gave helmets away. The Police Department has also applied for a grant. He feels there are no real dangerous intersections. He stated there were numerous accidents on Main and Webster – but accidents are down this year and most times they are single vehicle accidents due to speeding. In those cases they have noted the speed limit is up 15 MPH over the posted speed limit. Chief Foley stated that he has spoken to Michael Guzinski about an “Adopt a Sign” program which will be discussed at the next Safety Committee Meeting. This program will let the residents take care of signs. Chief Foley stated they should also start addressing changing the speed limit on Rt. 16 – he will talk to Michael Guzinski about putting together a letter for the State. Let them come out and do the assessments. Rich Preston stated that all things considered they are doing a good job on Webster Road – people do speed on that road and he has mentioned additional speed limit signs. Chief Foley stated he has discussed this with Edward Therrien and they will be putting up more signs. Rich Preston asked Chief Foley if he was still thinking of taking the class which would authorize him to set speed limits to which the Chief stated yes. Chief Foley suggested doing a public announcement on cross walk etiquette, etc. Rich Preston asked Chief Foley if it’s his feeling that there are no dangerous intersections to which Chief Foley answered no. Rich Preston asked if it would be worth bringing in professionals to look at the Towns traffic. Chief Foley stated they could bring in CMRPC (Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission). They may find they need to look at whether they need traffic lights. He stated that since they are working with Mass Highway at the School they could use some of their resources. Paula Brouillette stated that CMRPC had a plan last year – Rt. 16 came up as an issue but mostly in the Hopkinton Area. Shirley Mosczynski stated that CMRPC sent a letter to the Board, dated October 28, 2004 in which they are looking for input. In the letter CMRPC also gave the projected numbers for population, households and employment. Those projections show a population of 8,464 in 2010 and 11,994 in 2030. Paula Brouillette asked Chief Foley if the Dunkin Donuts coming into Town will bring any traffic problems. Chief Foley reported that the Dunkin Donuts owners and Ray Whitehead, owner of the gas station, are working with him to resolve any potential problems. He is willing to put in a turning lane if needed. Dunkin’s has a policy that they have to move so many cars within so many minutes. He does not foresee any problems. Chief Foley also reported that Halloween night went well with no incidents.
• IACP: Chief Foley stated the International Association of Chiefs of Police has asked him to be the next Palmitarian and he has accepted. Chief Foley stated this is an honor not just for him, but for the Town. He stated the Palmitarian is like a Moderator – he runs the meeting and works with the Boards. Travel is the same as it was this year. He will keep the Board informed of meetings. Rich Preston congratulated the Chief and asked if he was still working on the State level to funnel money into Town. Chief Foley stated he is – they are working on grants stating a lot depends on the elections tomorrow.

5. Appointment – Library Building Committee:
In the agenda is an application for Boards and Commissions from Al Balasco, 5 Kelly Circle, dated August 24, 2004 for Library Building Committee; a letter to the Board of Selectmen, from the Library Trustees, date October 6, 2005; and a letter to the Board of Selectmen, from the Library Building Committee, dated October 20, 2004. Library Building Committee Chair Merritt Tetreault came before the Board. Mr. Tetreault stated Mr. Balasco has been working with the Library Building Committee. He feels Mr. Balasco has very good credentials. Mr. Tetreault reported that the Library Building Committee took a vote and asked the Board of Selectmen to appoint Mr. Balasco to the Committee. Merritt Tetreault stated Al Balasco did a great job on the Library’s informational video. Mr. Tetreault stated he would also like to commend Rich Preston and the sub-committee for all their work. He asked if the Town could put a survey in the Town census to find out how many people watch cable. Rich Preston explained that the Cable Advisory Committee already did a survey and not everyone sent it back. He stated he could get some numbers for Mr. Tetreault but he believes there are 2,500 residents that have cable. Merritt Tetreault stated there are some members that have not been coming to meetings and asked if a letter could be sent asking their intentions. Rich Preston stated a letter should come from the Trustees first and then the Library Building Committee. Michael Guzinski stated he knew of one member who stated he would resign if needed. Merritt Tetreault stated he has one member who never attends meeting but wants to be a “ghost member”. The Board of Selectmen was not in favor of “ghost members” and suggested the Committee find out what the intentions are of the members who do not attend. Rich Preston stated that he had moved once before on the appoint of Al Balasco and asked Paula Brouillette if she had any other reservations. Paula Brouillette stated she had no problem with Mr. Balasco as a person. She has a problem with making the Committee too big when they have members who don’t attend meetings. She stated that as long as they are willing to see if they have members who are willing to resign she has not problem with appointing Mr. Balasco. Rich Preston made a motion to appoint Al Balasco to the Library Building Committee as recommended by the Library Trustees and the Library Building Committee. David Furno seconded the motion. All – aye.

6. Road Work Update:
In the agenda is a Street Inventory chart dated October 1, 2004. Edward Therrien explained that the roads highlighted in blue will be done this season. Rich Preston asked if those roads are 100% funded by Chapter 90 monies to which Edward Therrien answered yes. Rich Preston stated that the roads are relatively in good shape and asked Edward Therrien if he has ever considered putting in for extra money in the budget to fix some of the roads. Edward Therrien stated that he has but was always shot down. Michael Guzinski stated that Town Engineer William Cundiff received a quote from a company called BETA Group, Inc, dated November 1, 2004. BETA develops a GIS based Pavement Management Program. Mr. Guzinski handed out a copy of the quote to the Board and asked them to review it. Paula Brouillette asked Edward Therrien if the Chapter 90 monies is based on how many miles of road the Town has to which Edward Therrien answered yes – but not private roads. Paula Brouillette stated that she is aware that some private roads are in some process of becoming a public road. The Town is not getting credit for them. She wondered if it would be beneficial to the Town to make them public roads. Michael Guzinski stated that this is the tug-of-war the Planning Board is having with the developers. They have to make sure all the work is done – all the bonds are in place. The Board could accept them as is – it should be a case by case decision. David Furno stated that some of the roads are taken care of by the Town and the developers are long gone. Paula Brouillette stated she would like to recommend that on the Street Inventory chart – make some categories for the private roads to give conditions and sort by roads the Town would like to accept, etc. Shirley Mosczynski asked Michael Guzinski to look at Pond Street, see what the status is. Rich Preston suggested having Town Engineer William Cundiff and Planning Board Chair Richard Vanden Berg come to a meeting to discuss the status of subdivision roads. The Board concurred and Michael Guzinski will set up for December 7th. Paula Brouillette agrees with Rich Preston stating just on the private roads see what the funding would be if they were accepted as public roads. Paula Brouillette asked Edward Therrien when the Chapter 90 program needs to know how many roads are in Douglas. When the Town accepts a road how does the information get to the State? Edward Therrien explained they get that information when he does his report once a year. Rich Preston asked if they can find out from the State the definitive criteria and when it’s ascertained. Edward Therrien stated he can get that information from Worcester Mass Highway.

7. Zoning Changes:
In the agenda is a letter to the Board of Selectmen, from the Master Plan Implementation Committee, dated August 4, 2004; and a zoning map. Michael Guzinski explained that the Master Plan’s request to place two articles on the next town meeting for zoning bylaw and zoning map changes needs to be forwarded to the Planning Board for review. Paula Brouillette made a motion to forward the Master Plan Implementations request for zoning bylaw and zoning map changes as presented. David Furno seconded the motion. All – aye.

8. Administrators Report:
• Inter-municipal Agreement with Uxbridge: Michael Guzinski reported that a draft copy of the inter-municipal agreement with Uxbridge has been sent to the Uxbridge Board of Selectmen. Their Board is reviewing it. He did speak with Town Counsel about digging up the road curb to curb – that is not a matter for this contract, it’s not a condition they set on Uxbridge. Their control is at the construction level. Paula Brouillette commented that part of the construction is in Uxbridge. Michael Guzinski explained that Douglas will define what is acceptable for Douglas and Uxbridge will define what is acceptable for Uxbridge.
• Audit: Michael Guzinski reported that he has spoken with Richard Sullivan concerning the Audit of the School. The field work is just about complete. He has found a weakness in the financials. Problem areas – the Superintendent is not communicating to the School Committee and the School is not communicating to the Town. Mr. Sullivan should have a draft sometime next week. He hopes to have the draft to the Town by November 15th. Michael Guzinski also reported that Mr. Sullivan has spoken to the Superintendent and finds nothing that would cause him to do a more in-depth review. Internal and external communications are the problem.
• Municipal Information Board Policy Proposal: Michael Guzinski handed out a draft Municipal Bulletin Board Policy and asked the Board to review it. He stated the biggest issue is the priority of the items. Rich Preston stated the original purpose was only to be used for Municipal Meetings, Annual Town Meetings and Special Town Meetings. He is not sure what a ‘Safety Emergency’ would be. Michael Guzinski gave an example of a water ban. Paula Brouillette stated she does not have a problem with the other items on the list being on as long as the priorities are met. Michael Guzinski stated he is working on a proposal to put up a more permanent board – possibly in front of the Library. Shirley Mosczynski stated she has been spoken to before about a sign in front of the Post Office. Rich Preston stated the original intent was to only have the sign boards out for a short period of time. Michael Guzinski asked in regards to the list would the Board like to cut off at item number 4. Rich Preston agreed and asked Michael Guzinski to keep looking into a permanent sign. Michael Guzinski stated he could possibly have something ready for February. Consensus of the Board to limit the Policy for the Street-side Municipal Information Bulletin Board to the first four items and instruct Michael Guzinski to look into a proposal for a permanent sign board.
• Preserve America: Michael Guzinski reported that the Preserve America sign is in. The Board needs to decide where in the community it will go. Shirley Mosczynski asked the Board to think about where the sign should go and come back with ideas.
• 4 Town Meeting: Michael Guzinski reported that there will be a 4 Town Meeting on Thursday, November 4th at 10:00 am in Sutton. Michael Guzinski stated he spoke with Pete Lowett of Mass Development. He will be there at 10:30. Shirley Mosczynski stated that Economic Development Committee Chair Hal Davis is also aware that Mr. Lowett will be there.
• Procurement Seminar: Michael Guzinski reported that he will be in Boston Monday and Tuesday, November 8th and 9th for a procurement seminar. After that he will be going to Florida through the following week.
• Town Use – Eagle View: Handed out the meeting is an Application for Town Use from the Eagle Condo Association, to use the Municipal Center Resource Room, November 10th, 2004. Paula Brouillette made a motion to approve the Application for Town Use from the Eagle Condo Association, to use the Municipal Center Resource Room, November 10th, 2004 as presented. David Furno seconded the motion. All – aye.

9. Old / New Business:
• OLD
• Free Cash:
Shirley Mosczynski asked if Rich Mathieu could break down the free cash – where it came from. Michael Guzinski stated Rich Mathieu had stated he would do that and will go back at least one year – he should have the information by the end of the week. Shirley Mosczynski stated they need to have a discussion with the Finance Committee.
• NEW
• New Position for Cable:
Paula Brouillette stated that the Cable contract gave them the ability to hire someone and asked what the status was. Rich Preston stated the Cable Advisory Committee decided it will be a part-time position. They have advertised and are accepting applications. Paula Brouillette would like to see the job description.
• Financial Policy: Paula Brouillette stated that in the past the Board of Selectmen and the Finance Committee have looked at a Financial Policy – she thinks the Board should have one on how they use free cash. She stated a sub-set to that would be how much the stabilization be. Paula Brouillette stated the Finance Committee has tried to do them in the past but feels it should come from the Board of Selectmen. Michael Guzinski stated a lot of communities have a target amount for free cash – they could have a priority on what free cash could be spent on and what it shouldn’t be spent on. For future estimates they will need to look at the breakdown for the Town Accountant. Rich Preston stated they need to look at why the Town has so much free cash – it puts into question the budgeting process. They need to take a closer look at it.

10. Adjournment:
Paula Brouillette made a motion to adjourn at 9:04 pm. Rich Preston seconded the motion. All – aye.

Respectfully submitted;


Suzanne Kane
Administrative Assistant
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2004 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron