BOS - January 22, 2002

BOS - January 22, 2002

Postby Suzanne Kane » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:32 pm

Board of Selectmen
Agenda
January 22, 2002


7:00 pm

1. Call to Order

2. Minutes: January 8, 2002 Regular Meeting

3. Chairman’s Announcements

4. Citizen’s Forum

5. Public Hearing regarding the creation of a four way stop at the intersection of West and Grove Street

6. Action, if any at this time, on the above Public Hearing

7. Letter from the School Superintendent requesting a special Town Meeting

8. Town Accountant situation and status of 2001 account reconciliation

9. Request for State Ethics Commission Seminar

10. ABC Change of Manager request

11. Downtown improvement project RFP

12. Commonwealth of Mass request

13. Executive Administrator’s report

14. New Business

15. Adjournment

______________________________________________________________________________________
Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
January 22, 2002
Approved February 12, 2008

1. Call to Order:

Vice Chairman Ron Forget called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM. In attendance: Shirley Mosczynski, Rich Preston, Edward Therrien, and Executive Administrator Ken Mahony.

Other citizens and staff in attendance: Paula Brouillette, Police Chief Foley, Merritt “Pete” Tetreault, Harold Gjeltema, Geraldine and Richard Scagnelli, Dave Colton, Paul Breau, Susan Shelton Biagioni and Suzanne Kane.

2. Minutes: January 8, 2002 Regular Session:
The minutes for the January 8, 2002 Regular Session were not included in the agenda package for the Board to review. They will be included in next meetings agenda.

• Public Hearing for Tax Classification:
Handed out at the meeting was a memo to the Board of Selectmen, from Suzanne Kane, dated January 8, 2002 re: Agenda Item 2, a Memo to the Board of Selectmen, from Board of Assessors, dated January 22, 2002, re: FY02 Classification Hearing, a Memo to Ken Mahony from Ida Ouillette, Assistant Assessor, dated January 8, 2002 re: FY02 Actual Tax Bills, and a copy of the Notice of Public Hearing for Classification of Tax Rates for Fiscal Year 2002.
Not included in the agenda but published was a Public Hearing for Tax Classification. Ron Forget opened the Public Hearing at 7:01 PM. The Assessors Department was not notified of the Hearing in time to prepare for this meeting. Shirley Mosczynski made a motion to leave the Hearing for Tax Classification open and to continue the hearing at their next meeting, February 12, 2002 at 7:00 PM. Rich Preston seconded the motion. All – aye.

3. Chairman’s Announcements:
There were not announcements.

4. Citizen’s Forum:
No citizen came forward.

7:30 PM
5. Public Hearing regarding the creation of a four way stop at the intersection of West and Grove Street:

In the agenda packet is a copy of Article 8 – Sight Line Easement – West and Grove Streets as voted at the Special Town Meeting held on Thursday, November 15, 2001; documentation from Mass Highway D-3 on typical placements of Stop signs; and a Plan of Easement map of the intersection of West and Grove Streets. Ron Forget opened the Public Hearing at 7:30 PM. Mr. Mahony reported that he had spoken with Roland Nedroscik, owner of the property and stated that he is unlikely to consider compromise until after the February 12th court appearance. Mr. Forget opened the floor to the citizens.
• Harold Gjeltema, Grove Street: Mr. Gjeltema stated that he had already expressed his opinion back in July and supported Stop Signs then. He also stated that temporary Stop Signs would be OK as long as the trees were cleared.
• Geraldine Scagnelli, Mumford Street: Ms Scagnelli came to speak for her and her husband Richard Scagnelli. She stated that the intersection was dangerous because people drive too fast down West Street and you can’t see from Grove Street. She and her husband support Stop Signs.
• Merritt “Pete” Tetreault, Yew Street: Mr. Tetreault asked Police Chief Foley to give an overview of the 4-way Stop Signs at this intersection. Chief Foley stated that 4-Way Stop Signs work only if there is an accident problem at the intersection. There is not an accident problem at West and Grove Street. He agreed that the intersection is dangerous and cautioned that by placing Stop Signs at this intersection the Town could be creating more of a problem. Chief Foley expanded by saying that Temporary Stop Signs are not a solution unless there is a problem with accidents, and in the same respect a 3-Way Stop Sign would also not be a solution. Chief Foley suggested that a decision be made after the Court hearing.
• Susan Shelton Biagioni, Johnson Court: Ms Shelton Biagioni stated that she would NOT like to see Stop Signs put up. She stated that it is hard to get up the hill in the winter. She would like to wait until after the Court decision.
• Dave Colton, Grove Street: Mr. Colton asked if the vote for the 4-Way Stop Signs at the November 15th Town Meeting was binding. Ron Forget stated that he would answer questions after they finished taking comments. There was another question as to if the Court would be influenced by the placements of Signs.
• Paul Breau, Grove Street: Mr. Breau is for the Stop Signs. He pulls 20 to 40 foot trailers. He feels that it is unsafe to cross the intersection with his trailers.
No other citizens came forward and Ron Forget closed the Public Hearing at 7:40 PM.

6. Action, if any at this time, on the above Public Hearing:
Ron Forget asked for comments from the Board. Shirley Mosczynski asked Police Chief Foley if he had a copy of recommendations from the State concerning placement of Stop Signs at this intersection. Chief Foley said that he would pull the documentation for the Board. Ken Mahony stated that if the trees could not be removed then the intersection could be re-designed. He said that the Court ruling on February 12 would hopefully approve the validity of the Bylaw. Rich Preston asked Ken Mahony to explain the criteria of the Bylaw and Easement taking which Mr. Mahony did. Ron Forget asked the citizens if they could wait until after the February 12th Court Hearing to make a decision on placing 4-Way Stop Signs at the intersection of West and Grove Street. When asked again if the vote for the 4-Way Stop Signs at the November 15th Town Meeting was binding, Mr. Mahony explained that the amendment is not in the scope of the article, the amendment is not binding for the Selectmen to abide by the article. Shirley Mosczynski asked to see increased surveillance at the intersection when the School Bus is dropping children off and Susan Shelton Biagioni offered her driveway for this purpose. Rich Preston stated that he understands the Town’s frustration and is in favor of the 4-Way Stop Signs, but is willing to wait until the Courts decision. He also suggests putting it at the top of the Agenda for the next scheduled Selectmen’s Meeting so that if there is no answer by the Court, the Selectmen can decide how to proceed. Rich Preston made a motion to hold off on making a decision on the 4-Way Stop Signs until after the February 12th Court Ruling and to place the 4-Way Stop Signs on the Selectmen’s agenda for their February 12th regularly scheduled meeting. Shirley Mosczynski made an amendment to the motions stating that Police Chief Foley arrange additional surveillance at the intersection of West and Grove Street until February 12th. Edward Therrien seconded the motion with the amendment. All – aye.

7. Letter from the School Superintendent requesting a special Town Meeting: Taken out of order after the Citizens Forum because it was not time to open the Public Hearing.
In the agenda packet is a letter to the Douglas School Building Committee and Douglas School Committee, from School Superintendent of Schools Concetta Verge, dated January 10, 2002; and a letter to Ken Mahony, from School Superintendent Concetta Verge, dated January 14, 2002. Mr. Mahony reported that he received the letter in the agenda packet from School Superintendent Concetta Verge, acting for the School Committee requesting that the Selectmen schedule a Special Town Meeting for the purpose of addressing the possibility of utilizing School Building Assistance reimbursement funds for the building project. Mr. Mahony stated he also wanted to present a Warrant Article from Ms Verge and as yet does not have one. He will bring the issue back to the Board at their next scheduled meeting on February 12th provided he has all the information. Mr. Mahony spoke with the Town Clerk Christine Furno about possible dates for the Town Meeting.

8. Town Accountant:
Mr. Mahony reported that the cash is balanced for 2001 and a Memo went out to Department Heads to verify the FY02 Budgeted amounts. Mr. Mahony is setting up an interview with an experienced Municipal Accountant.

9. Request for State Ethics Commission Seminar:
In the agenda packet is a letter to the Board of Selectmen, from the Commonwealth Of Massachusetts State Ethics Commission, dated January 10, 2002; a flyer from the State Ethics Commission, Introduction to the Conflict of Interest Law; and State Ethics Commission, Conflict of Interest Law Municipal Seminar. Mr. Mahony reported that the State Ethics has offered to hold a Conflict of Interest Law Municipal Seminar. Shirley Mosczynski stated that she had attended the MMA Annual Meeting and attended a conference with the State Ethics Commission and found it very informative and supports having a Seminar. There was a consensus of the Board to authorize setting up a State Ethics Commission Conflict of Interest Law Municipal Seminar in the Douglas Municipal Center.

10. ABC Change of Manager Request:
Suzanne Kane passed out a packet for each Selectmen containing a copy of Form-43 for a Change of Manager for Whitinsville Fish & Game Club, Inc., dated December 31, 2001; Petition for License Transaction Form 997, for the Whitinsville Fish & Game Club, Inc., dated December 31, 2001; copy of From A Licensee Personal Information Sheet for Whitinsville Fish & Game; and a copy of Whitinsville Fish & Game Club, Inc. Board of Directors Meeting, dated October 1, 2001. Ken Mahony reported that the Whitinsville Fish & Game Club, Inc. was petitioning to change their manager from Maurice E. Generuex to Robert J. Novack. Rich Preston made a motion to accept the petition to Change Managers for the Whitinsville Fish & Game Club, Inc. from Maurice E. Generuex to Robert J. Novack as presented. Edward Therrien seconded the motion. All – aye.

11. Downtown Improvement project RFP:
In the agenda packet is a Memo to the Board of Selectmen, from Town Engineer William Cundiff, dated January 14, 2002, re: RFP – Downtown Improvements Project; copy of the Town of Douglas Request for Proposals for Planner / Landscape Architect Design Services, copy of Town of Douglas – Request for Proposals Scope of Services; and a copy of the Downtown Douglas: Creating the future through rediscovering the past Heritage Partnership Program Application. Ken Mahony put this item on the agenda for the Boards Comments and Suggestions. Ron Forget questioned the level of completeness if the funding cannot be obtained. Shirley Mosczynski, who is on the Downtown Improvement Committee explained that the Committee broke down the project into 4 phases. The Committee’s plan is to accomplish as many of the phases as possible but would leave some off depending on funding.

12. Commonwealth of Mass request:
In the agenda packet is a letter to the Board of Selectmen, from Kevin L. Cotter, Plumbers & Gasfitters Local 12 Boston, dated October 26, 2001; and a letter to Kevin L. Cotter, Plumbers & Gasfitters Local 12 Boston, from Maura Looney, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Public Records Division, dated January 7, 2002, case # SPR02/010. Mr. Mahony brought this matter to the Board for their information. Fire Chief Don Gonynor is dealing with the request. The work at the New Douglas Fire Station was not done by this plumber. Rich Preston noted the context of the letter from Kevin Cotter stating the Town can “reduce or waive fees” incurred by the Town for searching or coping the records. He would like to see these fees charged and not waived.

13. Executive Administrator’s Report:
Ken Mahony had no items to report.

14. New Business:• Rich Preston reported that he had attended the MMA Annual Meeting and attended a conference on Parliamentary Procedure and he will share information with the Board.
• Rich Preston reported that the Cable Advisory Committee and Charter Communication is scheduling an In Town / In House T.V. Production Course to be held in the Municipal Center to start in March.
• Rich Preston noted the Memo to the Board of Selectmen from Suzanne Kane summarizing the Liquor License Fees for Douglas and surrounding communities. He asked that the matter be included on a future agenda. Ken Mahony suggested that it be brought up quickly for Budget planning.
• Rich Preston asked if a fence has been erected behind the Highway Department. Edward Therrien informed the Board that there is no funding for the fence.
• Shirley Mosczynski asked what the status of the Drainage Issue in front of the Family Convenience Center is. Ken Mahony reported that he had spoken with Ray Whitehead, owner of the Family Convenience Center business and the quotes are coming in doubled what the Town anticipated.
• Shirley Mosczynski suggested that a session be held to exchange ideas with various Boards and discussion on the Town and where it’s going. Ken Mahony stated that he felt it was a good idea.

15. Adjournment:
Rich Preston made a motion at 8:15 PM to adjourn. Shirley Mosczynski seconded the motion. All – aye.


Respectfully Submitted,


Suzanne Kane
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2002 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron