BOS - October 15, 2002

BOS - October 15, 2002

Postby Suzanne Kane » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Board of Selectmen
Agenda
October 15, 2002


6:00

Rich Bowen – Open Litigation Update

7:00
1. Call to Order.

2. Chairman’s Announcements.

3. Citizens Forum (School Committee may come – paperwork in packet)

4. Minutes: October 1, 2002

7:15
5. FY02 Local Law Enforcement Block Grant Public Hearing – Lt. Glenn Glibert

6. Town Use – Eagle View Condo Association

7. Appointment for Animal Control Officers and Special Officers

8. Set Date for Joint Meeting w/Planning, ZBA, and Eco. Dev.

9. Award Chapter 90 Monies

10. Administrative Report

11. Old/New Business

11. Adjournment
______________________________________________________________________________
Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
October 15, 2002
Approved January 21, 2003

1. Call to Order:

Madame Chairman Shirley Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 7:02 pm. In attendance: Paula Brouillette, Rich Preston (7:10 pm), Ron Forget, Edward Therrien, Executive Administrator Ken Mahony, and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane.

Other citizens and staff in attendance: School Committee Member Derek Brown, School Building Committee Member Mitch Cohen, and Lynlee Fertal, Fire Chief Donald Gonynor, Police Lieutenant Glen Gilbert, and Tribune reporter Tom Mattson.

The Executive Session scheduled for 6:00 pm was postponed until November 5th.

2. Chairman’s Announcements:
Shirley Mosczynski thanked the Octoberfest Committee for a job well done at the 2002 Octoberfest which was a big success. Ms. Mosczynski reported on a letter she requested from Fire Chief Donald Gonynor, to Ken Mahony, dated October 2, 2002, re: Training Activities. She stated that Chief Gonynor had attended the National Fire Academy in Emmetsburg, Maryland to receive training in Management and Leadership Changes that the fire service is facing today. Shirley Mosczynski thanked Shirley Cooney for the donation of three microphones, donated in memory of her husband, former Finance Committee member Daniel Cooney.

3. Citizen’s Forum:
In the agenda packet is a copy of the Budget Changes, School Building Project, from the School Building Committee, dated 9/18/02, revised 10/9/02. School Committee Chair John Durkin and Vice Chair Sandra Raines came to the Board to request a Special Town Meeting before year end to ask for an additional 1.9 million to finish and furnish the School. John Durkin stated that they received a lot of questions from other Boards and Committees at the Joint Meeting. They do plan to have an informational meeting for the Town’s people, but asked if all the Selectmen’s questions had been answered. Shirley Mosczynski reported that not all the questions presented at the Joint Meeting were answered. John Durkin explained that they will try to explain why there is an over-ride so the Town will vote to finish and furnish the School. He stated that SMMA operated outside of the contract and that is why the dollar amount is high, warning that if this is not approved, SMMA will find that Douglas is not operating under good faith. Shirley Mosczynski asked if there is documentation about the additional work. Mr. Durkin stated that there must be, SMMA has proved it to CMS. Shirley Mosczynski feels the School should have the documentation. Paula Brouillette stated that she looked at the tape of the Joint Meeting, which she was not present for, and listed the questions. Ken Mahony stated that the Selectmen’s Office would type and distribute the list. Shirley Mosczynski asked when reimbursement would be, she had heard it would be 2010. John Durkin stated that he did not know. Shirley Mosczynski stated she is not sure what is happening with free cash, stating they need questions answered. Sandra Raines asked how to supply the answers - put them in writing or hold another meeting. Shirley Mosczynski suggested doing both. Rich Preston had a question on the Technology budget. Why the increase? Sandra Raines stated that the School Committee would be holding one or several informational meetings to answer these questions. It was noted that half the amount was for Contingency, this needs to be explained. Ken Mahony observed that the money was taken out for the rock, etc. – this could explain the contingency fund. Mr. Durkin stated they will work with CMS and the School Building Committee to get the answers. Shirley Mosczynski commented that Town Engineer Bill Cundiff received the information he has asked for concerning the ledge borings. John Durkin asked the Board to schedule a Town Meeting. Shirley Mosczynski explained they could not under Citizens Forum, this would have to be an agenda item at their next meeting. Ron Forget asked that they make sure the figure is correct so they don’t come back again. John Durkin stated that they are working with CMS and the School Building Committee to make sure they do only come to the Town once. Shirley Mosczynski stated that is why she is concerned by the word “Potential” on the hand out. Ron Forget does not feel a lot of the items are out of line, stating if it’s more it’s more. But asked that they come to the Town with exactly what they need, stating we have a good firm in CMS protecting us. Paula Brouillette went over the questions she listed stating she added a couple of observations at the end. She said she noted that CMS Project Manager Paul Griffin had said they came up with the worse case scenario. Commenting on the Technology Budget, Paul Griffin stated the number may be low. John Durkin stated that these questions and their answers will be used in the informational meeting. Shirley Mosczynski stated this item would be on the next Selectmen’s agenda, scheduled for November 5th.

4. Minutes: October 1, 2002:
Rich Preston made a motion to accept the minutes of October 1, 2002 as amended. Edward Therrien seconded the motion. Ron Forget abstained – he was not present for that meeting. All other members –aye.

5. FY02 Local Law Enforcement Block Grant Public Hearing – Lt. Glenn Gilbert:
Taken out of order after the Citizens Forum due to the time. Shirley Mosczynski opened the Public Hearing at 7:30 pm. In the agenda is a letter to Mrs. Shirley Mosczynski, from Lt. Glenn Gilbert, dated October 3, 2002; and a copy of the Local Law Enforcement Block Grant FY2002 Application. Shirley Mosczynski read the letter from Lt. Gilbert. Lt Gilbert then explained that the Advisory Board held a meeting on September 9th to discuss what the funds should be used for. This year they decided to use the funds to purchase 6 new multi channel, low band mobile scanning radios for the cruisers to replace the aging radios. He stated that the cell towers will be a great help in communication. They also plan to get 4 high band scanning radio’s which will help communicate with Webster, Oxford and Burrillville. They currently do not have a direct link and must rely on the phone. Funds will also be used to pay overtime to officers who will be assigned to conduct special patrols targeting areas such as under age drinking, controlled substance abuse, and specialized traffic enforcement initiatives beyond normal patrol duties. Rich Preston thanked Lt. Gilbert for all his work on the Grant. Shirley Mosczynski commended the force for all their work during the summer. Shirley Mosczynski closed the public hearing at 7:40 pm.

6. Town Use – Eagle View Condo Association:
In the agenda is a copy of an Application for use of Town Property, from Eagle View Condo Assoc., for November 13, 2002, to use the Municipal Center Resource Room, for their Annual Meeting, and a copy of the Policy for use of Town Property, signed by Robert Carter, dated September 19, 2002. Ron Forget made a motion to approve the application for Town Use as presented. Paula Brouillette seconded the motion. All – aye.

7. Appointment for Animal Control Officers and Special Officers:
In the agenda is a copy of a memo to the Board of Selectmen, from Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane, dated October 10, 2002, re: Appointments. Suzanne Kane explained that there were four annual appointments which were missed. Animal Control Officers Maura O’Connor and Jay O’Connor and Special Police Officers Jay O’Connor and Edward Therrien. Ron Forget made a motion to appoint Animal Control Officers Maura O’Connor and Jay O’Connor and Special Police Officers Jay O’Connor and Edward Therrien for the term ending June 30, 2003. Rich Preston seconded the motion. All – aye.

8. Set Date for Joint Meeting w/Planning, ZBA, and Eco. Dev.:
Rich Preston stated that he spoke with Mark Bobrowski’s office but he does not have a date. Rich Preston will get a date and Ken Mahony will talk to the other committees.

9. Award Chapter 90 Monies:
In the agenda packet is a copy of Bid Awards FY2003 from the Highway Department. Ken Mahony recommended that the Board make a “blanket” approval for Chapter 90 Monies. Rich Preston questioned the amounts of the contracts, stating they would be handing out a blank check. Ken Mahony explained that this is “backwards”, but it’s the only way the State allows the process to work. Rich Preston stated that he would like to know what the projects are. Shirley Mosczynski stated they used to get a listing of roads scheduled for repairs and asked Mr. Therrien if he could get them the list. Ron Forget stated that he likes this process better, because it locks the contractor into a price. Paula Brouillette stated that, on the reverse, if you could get a discount for quantity, you loose it with this process. Shirley Mosczynski again, asked for a list of work that will be done for the year. Ron Forget made a motion to approve awarding contracts for the FY2003 Chapter 90 Money as presented. Paula Brouillette seconded the motion. Rich Preston abstained. All other members – aye.

10. Administrators Report:
Ken Mahony asked the Board to sign the Warrant for the State Elections, to be held on November 5, 2002. The Board signed the warrant.

11. Old Business:
• Old Fire Station Second Floor Use:
Rich Preston handed out a memo to the Board of Selectmen, dated October 15, 2002, re: Old Fire Station Second Floor Use. The memo is recommending and requesting that the second floor of the Old Fire Station be used for offices and storage of Building and Grounds and Civil Defense services. Buildings and Ground is currently loosing space. Ken Mahony stated that he is not losing space, he is unable to use his phone in the space he has. Rich Preston stated that the space he is currently using is shared with the Board of Health and the Board of Health needs the space. Ron Forget asked what it would cost to heat the building. It was stated that they would use low level heat. The cost has been shared between the Fire Department and General Government. Paula Brouillette stated Mr. Preston’s idea is a good one and suggested looking at the VFW and Old Elementary School. She then asked if the Building Inspector has looked at the building for structural stability. Rich Preston stated that they had mixed reviews. Ken Mahony stated that the structure has been stabilized by fixing the roof. He can have Adelle Reynolds look at it, he feels there is no urgency at this point but he’ll have her look at it and report back.
• Dunkin Donuts: Paula Brouillette asked what the status is with the signs at Dunkin Donuts. Ken Mahony reported that he has asked to speak to Chief Foley in the morning. He will report back.
• Main Street Project: Paula Brouillette asked when they will review the report. Shirley Mosczynski stated that she did get the final report of Phase I and said we need to get a schedule from Town Engineer Bill Cundiff. Ron Forget asked what Phase II will encompass, stating they need to know. Ken Mahony said he would ask Bill Cundiff. Ken Mahony then stated that Phase II of Economic Development consists of recommendations and zoning changes for overall development. They are not going to design a sub-division. He has a call into Economic Development Committee Chair Hal Davis. Ron Forget asked if Marc Bobrowski should come in and report on this. Rich Preston stated that Mr. Bobrowski looks at recommendations and then tells them the best way to go forward.
• School Project: Paula Brouillette asked if the Financial Team was going to schedule a meeting. Shirley Mosczynski stated they probably should. Ron Forget suggested waiting until after the information comes in from the School Building Committee. Edward Therrien concurred since they have two figures. Ken Mahony stated that they can still have the meeting and use what ever figures they want. He said he would ask to have one of the figures thrown in and ask what the effects will be. Shirley Mosczynski asked to find out what the effect will be on the tax rate. She then asked the Board if they are looking for a December Town meeting. Rich Preston stated that the Master Plan Committee is requesting that the School Committee keep an eye on changes in the demographics in order to plan for the future. Paula Brouillette commented that if they were given the worse case scenario, maybe the amount could be lower. Shirley Mosczynski stated they needed information from the Financial Team. Ken Mahony said he will ask for a meeting date in the morning. Rich Preston asked what source they will be pulling from. Ken Mahony replied that the Financial Team would give information to Fiscal Advisor Clark Rowell and he will come up with figures. Shirley Mosczynski suggested they also get updated figures.
• Ambulance Use: The letter from Fire Chief Donald Gonynor, received October 3, 2002, re: New Ambulance was discussed. In his letter, Chief Gonynor stated his intention of using the old ambulance as a back up unit.
• Martin Rd.: Discussion on Martin Rd. The stop sign is up and people are still flying through the intersection and there are still kids in the road. Should a line be painted to show people where to stop? Paula Brouillette suggested giving it some more time to give people a chance to get used to changing a long learned habit.
• Sign Workshop: Edward Therrien stated he is waiting for Adelle Reynolds.
• Standing Building Committee: Paula Brouillette asked for a consensus from the Board concerning going forward with a Standing Building Committee. She has contacted professionals in Town and in-house professionals for recommendations to bring to the Board. Ron Forget thinks small projects could be handled by departments. Paula Brouillette stated that C&R Rizvi highlighted major maintenance issues on our older buildings; we need to plan for this. Ron Forget stated he feels people lose interest after a few years; they are more apt to join a Standing Building Committee when there are projects. Shirley Mosczynski asked if Paula Brouillette had called Northbridge to ask them to come for an informational meeting. Paula Brouillette stated that she first wanted a consensus of the Board. There was a consensus of the Board and Paula Brouillette said she will work on bringing a proposal to the Board in 8 weeks or so.
• Quarterly Reports:
Shirley Mosczynski asked everyone if they had received the memo from Town Accountant Rich Mathieu concerning the accessibility of the Quarterly Reports. Everyone had.
• Meeting with Town Council - Rich Bowen: Everyone was reminded that the Board would be meeting with Rich Bowen on November 5th at 6:00 pm. Ron Forget asked for the cost of bringing Mr. Bowen in.

New Business:
• Annual Economic Development Meeting:
Paula Brouillette reported that she attended the Annual Economic Development Meeting held in Uxbridge. She was wondering if Douglas, Sutton, and Uxbridge could have a joint meeting for Economic Development. Should the Board initiate? Rich Preston said he would like to hear from the general public as to what they want, and wondered how we could do that – survey? Paula Brouillette stated that some of that was in the Down Town Report, they did do a survey. Shirley Mosczynski asked if the Board would like to have a joint meeting. Ron Forget stated no, that 15 years ago 13 communities paid about $2,000 to have a person look for businesses and they didn’t get anything from it. He said he had met someone from Douglas who has a candle business in Webster, why can’t we get that business here? He said Douglas residents have a negative stigma about doing business in Town. Paula Brouillette stated we need to plan for businesses we want. Ron Forget suggested having the Assessors Office do a build out of the Town for the next 10 years, stating we should take care of the people with open space so they don’t have to sell their land. Shirley Mosczynski stated that the build out has been done. She asked if the Board would like to have a meeting with the Assessors. Consensus of the Board was to have a meeting with the Assessors Office and Shirley Mosczynski asked that a meeting be set up. Rich Preston stated that this was an interesting first step but they need to look at a solution. Shirley Mosczynski stated that this is another reason for a meeting with the Planning Board, ZBA, and Conservation. Paula Brouillette asked what the status was on Campanelli’s purchase. Ken Mahony stated that they were speaking with the gas company to bring gas in. He has asked Hal Davis to call him. Mr. Mahony stated a need to keep an open, flexible zoning, then plan a permitting process that is logical. Paula Brouillette said we talk about this; what are we going to do? Rich Preston stated the Board does not have a concise idea of what they want to see for Economic Development. They currently have 5 diverse ideas. Shirley Mosczynski stated she is looking for recommendations. There was a consensus of the Board to have the Chairman of the Board meet with the other Towns. Ken Mahony will set up the meeting through Marty Green of the Chamber of Commerce.
• Ken Mahony review: Paula Brouillette congratulated Ken Mahony for being at Douglas for one year, and asked if there is a review process. Shirley Mosczynski stated she has copies of evaluation forms. It was suggested that MMA could possibly give examples. Shirley Mosczynski asked that December 1st be set up to discuss a review process, stating she needs to get his contract.
• Bylaw Workshop: The next Bylaw workshop is scheduled for October 22nd at 6:30 pm. Ron Forget stated that he will be on vacation.

11. Adjournment:
Ron Forget made a motion to adjourn at 9:50 pm. Paula Brouillette seconded the motion. All – aye.

Respectfully submitted,


Suzanne Kane
Administrative Assistant
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2002 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest