BOS - November 26, 2002 Workshop

BOS - November 26, 2002 Workshop

Postby Suzanne Kane » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:03 pm

Board of Selectmen
Special Meeting for Ballot Question
and
Bylaw Workshop
November 26, 2002
Approved January 21, 2002


1. Call to Order:

Madame Chairman Shirley Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 6:34 pm. In attendance: Edward Therrien, Paula Brouillette, Ron Forget, Rich Preston (6:55 pm) and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane. Executive Administrator Ken Mahony was present for the Ballot Question only.

Other citizens in attendance: School Building Member Mitch Cohen.

2. Ballot Question: In the agenda is a copy of Massachusetts General Law Chapter 54. Elections, § 42C: Time limit for final written notice of ballot question; and a copy of “Suggested Forms Ballot Questions”, drafted by Ropes and Gray, dated November 25, 2002. Shirley Mosczynski explained that Town Clerk Christine Furno informed the Selectmen’s Office that she needs a 35 day notice for printing the ballot question. Thirty Five days would put the ballot question for January 1st. Ron Forget made a motion to hold the ballot question on January 9th, 2002. Paula Brouillette seconded the motion. All – aye. The Board discussed the ballot questions presented by Ropes and Gray. The Finance Committee at their last meeting; discussed whether or not to include the description. Paula Brouillette stated that they decided to include it in the information flyer. Both questions were indorsed by the Finance Committee. They were concerned that if the description was added it would tie the use to the dollar amount. The Board has some time to amend the questions which need to be to the Town Clerk by Wednesday, December 4th, 2002. Ken Mahony asked if there was any way to show that both questions are requested, rather than one or the other. Shirley Mosczynski stated that the Finance Committee had discussed this; it will be covered in the information flyer. Ken Mahony suggested adding, “but not limited to”. The concern is that if it is restricted and only one passed, they wouldn’t be able to use the money for other needed items. Ron Forget stated that it is going to be confusing anyway with the split article. The Board asked Suzanne Kane to find out if they could put a summary on the ballot. She called Town Clerk Christine Furno and was told to include everything with the questions. Rich Preston asked if “equipment” should be qualified by putting in “Technology”? Mitch Cohen suggested using the words “Furniture, Fixtures, Equipment and Education Technology”. There was a consensus of the Board to strike the word “construction” and add “Furniture, Fixtures, Equipment and Education Technology” after “purchase of” for the $685,000 question. And for the second question, strike “purchase of equipment and furnishing” and change the dollar amount to “$1,309,523”, also changing the order so the question with the larger amount is first. (copy of amended ballot questions attached). Rich Preston made a motion to approve the ballot questions as amended, subject to approval by Bond Counsel. Paula Brouillette seconded the motion. All – aye.

3. Adjournment from Special Meeting:
Rich Preston made a motion to adjourn at 7:20 pm. Ron Forget seconded the motion. All – aye.

4. Bylaw Workshop:
Shirley Mosczynski reported to the Board that she obtained a copy of the Town of Sutton’s Bylaws. She said she also had a call into the Town of Littleton and stated she had to fax a request. Blackstone and Hopedale were also called. Blackstone’s Bylaws have just been done and they hope to get them on disk. They were done by General Code Charter Public Corp. of Rochester, New York. (phone number 800-836-8834) Hopedale is in the process; once they are done Debbie Marsa will bring them to the Board. Ken Mahony joined the meeting to state he used General Code when he was in Andover and feels they are good. Rich Preston stated that he got pricing of $10 to $20,000. He suggested getting a student from one of the local colleges to work on updating our Bylaws as a project. Rich Preston asked if General Bylaws should reflect that there is a Town Administrator. Paula Brouillette stated that the Board has done enough work on the Bylaws to know that there is more work to be done. There was concern about treating the symptoms and not the problem. Why haven’t there been updates? Is there a process missing from the vote on Town floor to the updated Bylaws? Shirley Mosczynski noted that the Sutton Bylaws do not reflect the number of Selectmen either, and then stated she will get quotes for pricing and report back to the Board. There was a consensus of the Board to have Shirley Mosczynski get the pricing quotes. Rich Preston noted that Ken Mahony had originally suggested the company General Code Charter Public Corp. Mr. Mahony stated that he would try to find out what Andover paid and offered to have Suzanne Kane call the Andover Town Clerk Randy Hanson for their General Bylaws.

• Operational over-ride: Paula Brouillette suggested the Board should work with the School Committee and the Finance Committee to make the operational over-ride work. Stating it was something to think about for the next Board of Selectmen meeting. She suggested putting together a time line. Shirley Mosczynski stated that she was not sure if the School had submitted their Budget to Town Accountant Rich Mathieu yet. Paula Brouillette stated that usually doesn’t happen until March. Ron Forget asked if Paula Brouillette was trying to do the budget for the School. Paula Brouillette stated she is planning. Ron Forget stated that he would agree to having the School Committee come in once a month to update the Board.


5. Adjournment:
Ron Forget made a motion to adjourn at 7:50 pm. Edward Therrien seconded the motion. All – aye.

Respectfully submitted,



Suzanne Kane
Administrative Assistant
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2002 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron