BOS - February 20, 2001

BOS - February 20, 2001

Postby Suzanne Kane » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Board of Selectmen’s Meeting
February 20, 2001 at 7:00 PM


Members Present: Tom Navaroli, Ron Forget, Shirley Mosczynski, Ed Therrien, and Rich Preston. Also Present: Pam Holmes, Mitch Cohen, Patrick Foley, Ann Carlson, Paul Crandall, Bob Saster, Tony Gressak, Adelle Reynolds, Bob Josey, Tom Mattson, Paula Brouillette, John Lavin

1. Call to Order at 7:10 PM
2. Chairman’s Announcement’s

• Read a letter from Janet Brown, Director of Student Activities at Nichols College, regarding Community Day on April 10, 2001. Groups participate in volunteer projects from 9 AM-1 PM. Anything available for these groups can be submitted to the Board of Selectmen’s office within two weeks.
• Tonight’s agenda is very full so things need to be taken in a timely manor.
3. Acceptance of Minutes• Executive Session December 19, 2000
Shirley Mosczynski moved to approve minutes without release as amended, seconded by Ron Forget. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR. Buff abstained.
• January 9, 2001
Shirley Mosczynski moved to approve minutes as amended seconded by Rich Preston. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR• Executive Session January 9, 2001
Shirley Mosczynski moved to approve minutes without release as amended, seconded by Ron Forget. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR
• January 16, 2001
Shirley Mosczynski moved to approve as amended, seconded by Ron Forget. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR
• January 23, 2001
 Rich Preston and Shirley Mosczynski recommended attaching any item spoken about with minutes for easy access.
Shirley Mosczynski moved to approve minutes as amended, seconded by Ron Forget. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR
• January 30, 2001
Ron Forget moved to approve as amended, seconded by Rich Preston. VOTE: 4 IN FAVOR, 1 ABSTAINED
• February 6, 2001
Ron Forget moved to approve as amended, seconded by Shirley Mosczynski. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR
• Executive Session February 6, 2001
Ron Forget moved to approve as amended and for release, seconded by Shirley Mosczynski. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR

Items taken out of Order

4. Close STM Warrant
• Norm presented a memo requesting postponing the closing of the warrant to February 27, 2001.
• Shirley Mosczynski stated that the first warrant with one item (Stabilization Transfer) has already been closed.
• Tom Navaroli questioned any interest in reconsidering the closing of the first warrant.
• Overlay Reserve to Selectmen for Land Acquisition
 Sponsored by the Board of Assessor’s. Transfer for land purchase on Davis Street. The money will be used to pay off debt borrowed in October 2000 for this purchase.
Shirley Mosczynski moved to approve the transfer of overlay reserve to selectmen for land acquisition on STM warrant as Article #2, seconded by Rich Preston. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR
• Adoption of Capital Planning Board
 Approve FY02 Capital Improvement Plan
 Plan is to be presented on March 6th.
 Paula Brouillette explained this article.
 Report will be ready on March 1st.
Shirley Mosczynski moved to place this on the warrant as the first article, seconded by Ron Forget. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR
• Transfer of Water/Sewer Enterprise Fund (free cash)
 Bob Josey & Tony Gressak presented this article.
 Show DEP that we’re committed to this project.
 I & I study has been done (required).
Ron Forget motioned to approve this as article #3 on warrant, seconded Rich Preston. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR
• Main Street Water Line
 Norm MacNeill requested that this be deferred to the next meeting to extend an invitation to the necessary parties.
• Library Building Expansion Project
 Ann Carlson presented this article.
 A vote needs to be in place for a grant.
 Norman MacNeill stated that it might be appropriate for a presentation to be made.
Ron Forget moved to approve this article, seconded by Shirley Mosczynski. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR
• BVT school expansion project.
 John Lavin presented this article.
 Tom Navaroli stated that the wording would only cause more work.
• Would have to go back to town floor if ballot didn’t pass.
 Clarification from town council was requested
 Tom Navaroli asked Norm MacNeill to have the treasurer and town accountant be at the next meeting.
 Ron Forget questioned how much can be done by students.
• Students do most of the maintenance unless it is beyond what is taught.
• Ambulance Transfer
 Chief requested a transfer from ambulance receipts fund.
Ron Forget moved to approve ambulance transfer article, seconded by Shirley Mosczynski. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR
• Legal Services
 Request to transfer of $35,000 from Lottery to Town Council Account for FY01 litigation, which exceeded expectation.
• Person Property Exception
 Sponsored by Board of Assessors.
 Previously Approved.
• Assessors Salary Expense
 Previously Approved.
• Interim Executive Administrator
 Defer discussion to the next meeting.
• Quorum Bylaw
 Tom Navaroli questioned Jerome’s (moderator) opinion
• Quorum is a majority.
 Tom Navaroli questioned if there were any public hearings held for the change of the bylaw.

5. Appointment of Interim Town Accountant
Buff Therrien moved to appoint Pam LeDuc as the interim town accountant seconded by Shirley Mosczynski. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR

6. Budget Message in Budget Book

7. Departmental Budget Review• Police Dept. – Chief Patrick Foley
 Reduction in 2 areas (dispatcher and patroller not recommended by Norm MacNeill).
 Standard ratio is 2.8 officers per thousand. We have 11 full time officers now.
 Tom Navaroli stated that the Board will get back to them after the Budget Workshop.
• Building
 Norm stated that there is almost no change since FY01 except personnel changes.
• Town Accountant
 Norm recommended only one position for the Town Accountant, not recommending an assistant.
 Total proposed $73,488
 Tom Navaroli questioned if the job description is staying the same.
• Yes it is, for now.
• Selectmen
 Postponed to 2/27/01

8. Cable Advisory Committee Meeting – started at 9:45 PM
• Review of final survey
 Paul Crandall cleaned up the survey and sent it to Angela Ernenwein for formatting.
 Paul suggested shrinking it in size to fit into an even number of pages.
 The mailing will be the second week in March and it should be in mailboxes by the Saturday before the Special Town meeting.
 Using a drop box located at the STM and Board of Selectmen’s Office
 Have all in by March 31st.
• New Business
 Rich Preston said that the VCR is broken.
• There was discussion regarding what should be bought (commercial industrial model or a high end consumer model)
It was the consensus of the committee to purchase a high-end consumer model.
 Planning Board room camera
• The hole was drilled; the camera will be in this week.
 Letter mailed from Gordon Champion – Charter Communications.
• Fiber optics upgrade will be the first quarter of 2002.
• Adjourn at 9:55 PM

9. New Business
• Buff Therrien – Proposals regarding the fence around highway department area
 $3,625 for a 125-ft green 8 feet high chain link with screen.
• Quote for Grove & West Street trees
 $2,300 for removal of trees (grind stumps, removal of trees)
 This will be set for an upcoming meeting.
• Snow plowing
 Need $20,000 for expenses and $8,000 for weekend salaries.
 Produced an itemized list for the Board.
Rich Preston motioned to approve the request of the highway department, seconded by Shirley Mosczynski. VOTE: ALL IN FAVOR. Buff Therrien abstained.• Rich Preston presented a memo regarding a zoning public hearing due to an improper hearing notice.
 Rich forwarded the letter to the Planning Board.
• Shirley Mosczynski questioned if the board is considering holding a reception for Louise Redding.
• Shirley Mosczynski spoke about a letter from Senator Moore willing to give the town assistance.
 Shirley Mosczynski will make a drafted list to start discussions for future agenda items.

10. Executive Administrator’s Report• There was no Executive Administrator’s Report

11. Executive Session
• Adjourn at 11:45 PM.




Respectfully Submitted,



Elizabeth A. Davis
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2001 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron