August 18, 2010 BFCC Meeting

Moderator: Mary Wright

August 18, 2010 BFCC Meeting

Postby Lisa Lannon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:16 am

BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
AUGUST 18, 2010

A meeting of the Building Facilities Construction Committee was held on August 18, 2010 in the Municipal Center. The meeting was called to order at 7:07 PM.
ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Shirley Mosczynski, Virginia Howe, William McConnell (Chairman), Sean Holland (Vice Chairman), William Cundiff (Town Engineer).

MANCHAUG ROAD SEWER UPDATE
Mr. Cundiff noted an email update from the Sewer Superintendent. The project is almost complete with only minor work left. It is ahead of schedule and below budget. A final dollar amount will be provided. Some discussion held.

POLICE SAFETY COMPLEX
Mr. Cundiff noted a survey he conducted with regard to the Police Safety Complex which was distributed some time ago. At some point in time this Committee will have to provide some input regarding the dollar amount of the project to advise the Capital Improvement Committee. Members were encouraged to review the survey prior to the next meeting. It was noted that this Committee is not the driving force for this project. The function of this Committee is to provide information. A memo will be prepared for the Capital Improvement Committee by the next meeting after members have further reviewed the survey. Discussion held.

WIND TURBINE FEASIBILITY STUDY/SCHOOL CAMPUS – AWARD OF $85,000 GRANT FROM MASSCEC
Mr. McConnell recused himself from the discussion of the wind turbine feasibility study. Mr. Holland took over as Chair. Mr. Cundiff reported that the Town has been awarded through MassCEC, a grant in the amount of $85,000 for a feasibility study for locating a turbine at the school site. The grant agreement was distributed. Mr. Cundiff noted the total project cost is $113,000 leaving a difference of $28,000. The Highway Department has indicated that they could be responsible for the site preparation saving approximately $22,000. In addition, the proposed agreement with CDM was also distributed.
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to go before the Board of Selectmen with a recommendation of the Committee to move ahead with the project with the involvement of the Highway Department doing the prep site work and that $6,000 will be needed to supplement the Town’s share, in addition, the proposed contract is also reasonable and acceptable to this Committee. Ms. Howe seconded the motion. Vote unanimous. Mr. Cundiff noted they will continue to look for areas to reduce costs.

SOLAR AT LANDFILL SITE – REVIEW OF FAIRHAVEN AGREEMENTS AND UPDATE ON OTHER SOLAR/LANDFILL SITES
Mr. McConnell rejoined the meeting as Chairman. Mr. Cundiff discussed conversations with the Town of Sutton regarding their grant for solar panels and the process they are going through. In addition, Mr. Cundiff noted that he has been contacted by venders interested in giving a presentation on providing solar panels at the landfill site. Discussion held regarding the capping of the landfill. Mr. Cundiff will contact the venders and determine their experience with capped landfills and invite them to present to the Committee. He will also contact the DEP to see if anyone there would be willing to come in and talk to the Committee about this.

GREEN COMMUNITIES ACT – DISCUSSION/RECOMMENDATIONS
Mr. Cundiff distributed a copy of an email from Kelly Brown regarding the Green Communities Act. He reminded that this Committee, as the Energy Committee, has been charged by the Board of Selectmen with making a recommendation on whether or not Douglas should become a green community. Ms. Brown indicates there will be 45 communities chosen that the State will fund a planning consultant for the second round of grants being issued for the Green Community Planning Assistance. The first 45 communities that request assistance will get the funds. There is no commitment involved. Some discussion held. Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to instruct Mr. Cundiff to move forward with this and present it to the Board of Selectmen. Ms. Howe seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

INTERMEDIATE/ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PROJECT STATUS UPDATE BY SHIRLEY MOSCZYNSKI
Ms. Mosczynski discussed the Intermediate/Elementary School Project. She noted various options have been presented to the School Building Committee. Members of the Committee as well as the design consultant and project manager met with MSBA and are waiting for a response. Mr. Cundiff reviewed the 6 options presented and indicated that it was found that the most cost effective option is to have a standalone building not connected to the existing structure and to modernize the existing middle school. MSBA has asked that more alternatives be explored. Site issues were noted. Some discussion held. Informational meetings will be held. Input from the community is encouraged.

MINUTES OF 6/16/10 MEETING
The minutes of June 16, 2010 were reviewed. Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the Building Facility Construction Committee Meeting minutes of June 16, 2010 as presented. Mr. Holland seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP
Mr. Cundiff noted a memo included in the packet regarding an application from Linda Brown for membership of the Building Facilities and Construction Committee. This application will be reviewed by the Board of Selectmen. Ms. Brown’s experience and dedication were noted. Mr. Holland made a motion to recommend to the Board of Selectmen, Linda Brown for membership on this committee. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Building Facilities and Construction Committee will be changed from Wednesday, September 15, 2010 to Thursday, September 16, 2010.

ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Howe made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:18 PM. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.
Respectfully submitted, Lisa Lannon, Recording Secretary
Lisa Lannon
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 am

Return to 2010 Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron