March 10, 2016 Capital Improvement Committee

March 10, 2016 Capital Improvement Committee

Postby Mary Wright » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:27 am

CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
March 10, 2016

A meeting of the Capital Improvement Committee (CIC) was held on Thursday, March 10, 2016 at the Municipal Center. Mr. Vinson called the meeting to order at 1:05 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT: Kent Vinson (Chairman), Brandon Auger, Ellie Chesebrough, Adam Furno, John Furno, Shirley Mosczynski, Melissa Morrison
ABSENT: Don Gonynor (Vice Chairman-Excused)
NON-VOTING: Norm Yvon (School Superintendent), Cortney Keegan (School Business Manager), Michael Guzinski (Town Administrator)

1. Meeting with Department Heads to Discuss FY17 Capital Requests:
-Water/Sewer Department
Bob Sullivan joined the meeting. He listed his requests in the following order: clean and paint the Church Street tank as required by the Dept. of Environmental Protection (DEP), wastewater system master plan, North Street 16” water main from Main to Gilboa to increase the water volume, Gilboa Street 12” water main from North Street to the existing 12” and the North Street 12” water main from Gilboa to the end, depending on the recommendations of the Worcester Business Development Corp. (WBDC).
Mr. Sullivan is hoping that the new water booster station will be complete before the start of the new fiscal year. DEP is coming to review the plans next Friday. The percentage of how much the Town should pay and how much the enterprise fund should pay for Water/Sewer capital projects is up for discussion.
Ms. Mosczynski asked Mr. Sullivan to include a public safety impact rating for his requests. If the Church Street tank is not maintained, the water could develop an unhealthy contaminant and loss of the tank would also negatively affect fire protection. The wastewater system master plan does not affect public safety. The other four requests have to do with water quality and fire protection in currently unprotected areas.
Mr. Guzinski explained that the WBDC is looking at the most cost effective options for a possible road build-out for commercial/industrial development near 146.
The radio rate system is off the capital request list.

-Police Department
Lt. Nick Miglionico and Officers Dunleavy and Auger joined the meeting to present the Police Dept. Capital requests: an IT server and three desktop computers and a new police station. Lt. Miglionico feels that a station like the one the Town of Bellingham just built would serve Douglas well.
Mr. Guzinski stated that the Tasers and live-scan fingerprint system have been purchased through a special State grant from the Dept. of Travel and Tourism. Ms. Mosczynski informed the CIC that the Police Dept. windows and heating were unable to be included in the Municipal Center renovation project due to the cost.
In 2009, it was proposed that a new police station could be built near the fire station. A feasibility study was not done.

-School Department
Jeff Kollett, School Facilities Manager, Mr. Yvon and Ms. Keegan joined the meeting. Ms. Keegan stated that they are planning to use the FY16 State Dept. of Travel and Tourism grant money to replace the elevator jack. She presented the FY17 Capital requests in the following order: primary school exterior door replacements, high school intercom/phone system upgrade, repairs to the high school access road (this is on the State funds list), primary school technical infrastructure upgrade, high school I-beam painting, and primary school phone system upgrade and expansion.

2. Open Session:
Mr. Guzinski stated that he is looking at putting something together for the fall for architectural review for the second floor of the Municipal Center, assuming the fire suppression system question is resolved.
For the next meeting, Mr. Guzinski will provide a list of the projects that were approved for the State Dept. of Travel and Tourism Grant and their statuses.
The next meeting for rating and ranking for the FY17 Capital requests is March 17, 2016. Mr. Guzinski will send out the ranking forms.
A request to consider a debt exclusion for a rescue/pumper and catch basin cleaner was forwarded to the Board of Selectmen (BOS). They discussed it and were supportive of the proposal. They are looking at possibly putting an article and ballot question in for a debt exclusion with a 5-year payback period in the amount of $700,000 for Town Meeting and at spring election. They will discuss and vote on that at their March 22, 2016 meeting. He encouraged the CIC to forward any comments to the BOS.

3. Approve Minutes of February 4, 2016:
Mr. John Furno made a motion to approve the February 4, 2016 Capital Improvement Committee meeting minutes as presented. Ms. Mosczynski seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

4. Old/New Business:
There was no discussion.

5. Adjournment:
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion at 1:50 PM to adjourn. Mr. John Furno seconded the motion. Vote: Unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Wright
Recording Secretary
Mary Wright
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Return to Capital Improvement Committee Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron