BOS - October 1, 2002

BOS - October 1, 2002

Postby Suzanne Kane » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:58 pm

Board of Selectmen
Agenda
October 1, 2002




7:00 pm
1. Call to order.

2. Chairman’s announcements.

3. Citizens Forum.

7:15 pm
4. Pole Petition.

7:30 pm
5. Town Website – Rich Mathieu and Mitch Cohen.

6. National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) – Storm Water Phase II.

7. Award Contract on Ambulance Bid.

8. Inquiry – Martin Rd.

9. Minutes – August 20, 2002 – Sign Workshop.

10. Project Update.

11. Administrators Report.

12. Old/New Business.

13. Adjournment.
_____________________________________________________________________________
Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
October 1, 2002
Approved October 15, 2002

1. Call to order:

Madame chairman Shirley Mosczynski called the meeting to order at 7:04 pm. In attendance: Paula Brouillette, Rich Preston, Edward Therrien, Administrative Assistant Ken Mahony, and Administrative Assistant Suzanne Kane. Ron Forget was absent.

Other citizens and staff in attendance: Justin Taft, Sr. OTR for Mass Electric Roger Martinsen.

2. Chairman’s Announcements:
Shirley Mosczynski asked the residents to attend the Octoberfest this Saturday, October 5th from 8 am to 4 pm. The Octoberfest committee is also still looking for volunteers. She let the Selectmen know that they were invited to march in the Octoberfest parade.

3. Citizens forum:
In the agenda is a memo to the Board of Selectmen, from Suzanne Kane, dated September 27, 2002, re: Letter from Linda Brown; Letter to the Board of Selectmen, from Linda Brown, 166 Perry St., dated September 25, 2002; Letter to Linda Brown, from Administrative Secretary Jane Brule, dated September 25, 2002. Linda Brown had indicated that she might come to the citizens’ forum. Because she did not, Ken Mahony spoke on her inquiry. She is concerned with the living conditions of the horses located at 218 Southeast Main St. Mr. Mahony stated that there is a limit to what the Town can do under our bylaws. She wants it known that horses need protection from the elements. Shirley Mosczynski stated that she went to the location with Animal Inspector Dick Downs. It was raining and not many horses were out, but the area was very mucky. She went out again today and noticed four horses in each area. Edward Therrien concurred that there is no shelter for these horses. Ken Mahony will keep the Board posted.

7:15 pm
4. Pole Petition:

Taken out of order after option 6 waiting for 7:15 pm. In the agenda is a memo to the Board of Selectmen, from Suzanne Kane, dated September 27, 2002, re: Pole Petition – Conservation; memo to the Board of Selectmen, Pole Petition, P02-71 for Perry Street, dated August 22, 2002; memo to Bill Cundiff, Town Engineer, Adelle Reynolds, Bldg. Commissioner, Police Chief Patrick Foley, Edward Therrien, Highway Superintendent, and Leon Mosczynski, Tree Warden, from Suzanne Kane, dated August 22, 2002, re: Pole Petition – P02-71 Perry Street; Town of Douglas Pole & Wire Locations Petition form, from Bill Cundiff; letter to abutters, from Suzanne Kane, dated September 5, 2002; a letter to Bill Cundiff, from Bruce Kut, dated September 13, 2002; letter to abutters, from Suzanne Kane, dated September 18, 2002; and a memo to the Board of Selectmen, from Suzanne Kane, dated September 10, 2002, re: Pole Petition – D02-71 Perry Street. Roger Martinsen came before the board to explain that this petition is to relocate a pole that is in the way of a common driveway. The contractor has paid 100% of the costs for the move. He also has to supply material to meet conditions from Conservation which he has not received yet. Ken Mahony explained that the Conservation Committee Commission did a site walk on September 26th but they are not meeting until October 7th so there is no definitive answer at this point but Steve Zisk, Conservation Agent feels that “the relocation is within the scope of the approved work going on. They will not have to file or come before the Conservation Committee”. Roger Martinsen said that Mass Electric will hold the work until he receives word from the Conservation Committee. Suzanne Kane also explained that per Mass Electric, a relocation petition does not require action by the Board; each Town deciding whether they follow the same procedures as other pole petitions. Suzanne Kane decided to follow the same procedures and bring this before the Board. Rich Preston made a motion to approve Pole Petition P02-71 Perry Street, subject to Order of Conditions from the Conservation Committee. Paula Brouillette seconded the motion. All – aye.

5. Town Website – Rich Mathieu and Mitch Cohen.

Handed out at the meeting is a print screen from the Town of Douglas website. Rich Mathieu and Mitch Cohen came to the Board to introduce the proposed Town Website which is a work in process. Each department will be able to supply and maintain information. The temporary site will go live in one week or less.

6. National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) – Storm Water Phase II. In the agenda is a letter to the Board of Selectmen, from Town Engineer Bill Cundiff, dated September 26, 2002, re: National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Stormwater Phase II Program. Ken Mahony had asked Bill Cundiff to put together a memo to the Board stating his recommendations for the stormwater program. Mr. Mahony stated that we would not hire a consultant but rather do the work in-house. Edward Therrien stated that the Town has no choice but to comply with DEP. Paula Brouillette noticed that in Bill Cundiff’s memo he mentioned grants and asked if they are available. Mr. Mahony stated that he would look at grants down the road. The Board was concerned about Mr. Cundiff’s workload. Mr. Mahony stated that he does not feel it will require much – mostly mapping. Rich Preston referred to the line in Mr. Cundiffs’ memo stating that “the Town of Douglas has exceeded the population density threshold established by the Clean Water Act” and asked what the population threshold was. Mr. Mahony stated that he was not sure – we did receive a report with those figures. Rich Preston then asked how long this project would take. Mr. Mahony stated that it would take about 5 years, then stated that Mr. Cundiff’s highest impact would be during the winter and stated that Steve Zisk could help him out.

7. Award Contract on Ambulance Bid:
In the agenda packet is a memo to the Board of Selectmen from Ken Mahony, dated September 27, 2002, re: Ambulance Bids; and a letter to Ken Mahony, from Fire Chief Donald Gonynor, received September 27, 2002, re: Ambulance Bid. Ken Mahony explained that the bids were taken on a New ambulance and a Demo ambulance. The Fire Chief is recommending the contract be awarded to Bert’s Emergency Vehicles in Blackstone, and the parent company of Lifeline Ambulances of Sumner, Iowa for the demo Ambulance. Mr. Mahony stated that the mileage is low and the Chief has driven and inspected the vehicle. Edward Therrien was concerned about the life of the vehicle because it is a demo; stating the last ambulance was also a demo. Paula Brouillette reminded Mr. Therrien that the vehicle did last for 7 years and served the Town well. Mr. Mahony informed the Board that this vehicle was never used as an ambulance, just as a demo. Rich Preston asked what the disposition of the old ambulance would be. Ken Mahony stated that he wasn’t sure, but that there was no room for it. He also stated that the ambulance is beyond certification and offered to find out. Edward Therrien suggested that the old ambulance be used as a second one for emergencies. Paula Brouillette stated that the appropriation was for $120,000 and asked if the difference was going to be used for equipment? Ken Mahony stated that, yes the balance would be used for the $25,000 to $30,000 worth of equipment. Rich Preston asked why the ambulance doesn’t come already equipped. Ken Mahony explained that the equipment has to be added because each community has different needs. Rich Preston asked if they could transfer the equipment from the old ambulance. Edward Therrien stated that if they keep the old ambulance as a backup – they would need to keep that equipment. There was a question about the certification on the old ambulance and Mr. Mahony stated that there was a problem only if the old ambulance was the primary ambulance. When asked where any remaining funds would go, Paula Brouillette stated that they would go back into the Ambulance Reserve Fund because that is where the appropriation is coming from. Rich Preston made a motion to accept the recommendation of Fire Chief Donald Gonynor to award the contract to Bert’s Emergency Vehicles, Blackstone, and the parent company of Lifeline Ambulances of Sumner Iowa, for $96,500. Edward Therrien seconded the motion. All – aye.

8. Inquiry – Martin Rd.
In the agenda packet is a memo to the Board of Selectmen, from Suzanne Kane, dated September 27, 2002, re: Martin Rd. Inquiry; a letter to the Board of Selectmen, from Justin Taft, 6 Martin St., received August 26, 2002; a letter to Justin Taft, from Suzanne Kane, dated August 27, 2002; a memo to Police Chief Foley, from Suzanne Kane, dated August 27, 2002, re: Inquiry from Justin Taft; and a letter to Ken Mahony, from Chief Patrick Foley, dated September 26, 2002, re: Inquiry and Complaint. Justin Taft was asked to join the meeting to discuss his concerns with the speeding traffic on Martin Rd. Mr. Taft stated that he just purchased the house at 6 Martin Rd., he has three kids that he tries to keeps in the back yard but he has noticed that there seems to be an influx of neighborhood kids that end up hanging out between his property and the neighbor’s property. He has noticed that there seems to be a disregard for the posted speed limit and has asked for action to enforce the 25 mph posted speed limit and to post a “child at play” sign in both directions, or replace the “yield” sign with a “stop” sign. Mr. Taft commented on Chief Foleys recommendation to replace the “yield” sign with a “stop” sign and voiced his concern that this did not deal with the traffic going up Martin from Depot. Edward Therrien made note of the vehicles that are parked in front of the two properties and stated that they can’t park there. Ken Mahony touched on the increased amount of children hanging out in the street and riding bikes and skate boards in the street with no regard to traffic, recounting a story told by the police department that skate boards were confiscated from youths who would not yield to an on call patrol car. Mr. Taft stated that he would speak to his tenants, but warned that he can not control kids and re-emphasized that the speeding must stop. Rich Preston moved to approve the recommendation of Police Chief Foley to remove the “yield” sign at Martin Road and Depot Street and replace it with a “stop” sign. Also, to place a yellow “stop ahead” sign up the road to warn the approaching northbound vehicles of the “stop” sign. Edward Therrien seconded the motion. Rich Preston then stated that he would like to hear back from Justin Taft in 60 days as well as Chief Foley for an update. On the vote: all – aye.

9. Minutes – August 20, 2002 – Sign Workshop:
Paula Brouillette approved the minutes of August 20, 2002 – Sign Workshop. Edward Therrien seconded the motion. Rich Preston abstained – not part of the workshop, Paula Brouillette – aye, and Edward Therrien – aye. Edward Therrien will get with Adelle Reynolds to set up the next Sign Workshop.

10. Project Update:
In the agenda packet is a memo to the Board of Selectmen, from Ken Mahony, dated September 24, 2002, re: Status of current Capital Projects and the Project Management Sheets. Passed out – Preliminary Capital Projects Summary. Ken Mahony reported to the Board on the current status of projects. He stated that the corners on the Old Elementary School are being replaced with clear pine and a little work is being done on the copper chimneys. The demolition people were a little zealous and broke a couple of plywood sheet covering the windows; which they will replace. The Library yard will be cleared out in time for Octoberfest. The extension road was going to get a top coat of asphalt but the contractor’s price was too high so the Highway Department will do the work. Mr. Mahony stated that there was a meeting with the School Bus Drivers to set up driving routes around the schools. There will be a pre-construction meeting tomorrow morning for water improvements. Paula Brouillette stated that it is great seeing all these projects getting done 20% below what was estimated. Shirley Mosczynski stated that we now need something to use the Old Elementary School for. Ken Mahony stated that it will be a big improvement bringing prospective business into the building now that it is clean, it will give a better impression. Rich Preston stated that he appreciates Mr. Mahony’s work on these projects and all of his help. He reported that he has people offering ideas for use of the Old Elementary School, and he thanks everyone for that. Rich Preston asked about the car parts behind the building and if they would be removed. Ken Mahony said that they would. Rich Preston then spoke about the parcel of land behind the Methodist Church and suggested it for additional parking. Edward Therrien stated that the Town owns from the wall up. Shirley Mosczynski commented that they should not just look at the Old Elementary School, but all the building the Town owns and what potential they could be used for. Paula Brouillette asked if the fiber optic lines were still going underground between the schools. Ken Mahony reported that John Ducharme found it would be more cost effective to have the lines on the utility poles. Paula Brouillette also asked if they will be sufficient water. Ken Mahony stated that they would.

11. Administrators Report:
• T.I.F.:
Ken Mahony reported that Ronald and Nancy Anger are trying to move a business from Worcester to Douglas on Cliff Street. Karl Kildahl from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Office of Business Development has worked out a Tax Increment Financing Agreement (T.I.F.) which Mr. Mahony likes. This will be the Towns fourth T.I.F. The business will be a manufacturing company and they plan to install a septic system. The T.I.F. goes out 10 years, 50% exemption the first year decreasing to 5% the last year. Ken Mahony will show the Board the agreement once he has all of the figures. Ken Mahony also mentioned that the Town does very little service on Cliff Street. Edward Therrien stated that we don’t even plow it, Oxford takes care of it.
• 40B Application: Ken Mahony reported that Town Engineer is in receipt of a 40B Comprehensive Permit for North Street from the same developers that did the development on Rt. 16. He stated that they will get water from Sutton. Rich Preston stated that he hopes this does not open a flood gate for 40B’s and asked what our limit of affordable housing is. Ken Mahony explained that our limit is 10%. Rich Preston observed that this will accelerate the Towns growth. He suggested that a stipulation be made that the affordable housing be made available for Douglas residents. Ken Mahony will follow up on this matter.
• Joint meeting: Ken Mahony asked the Board if they wanted to include Attorney Mark Bobrowski, at the joint meeting with ZBA, Planning and Conservation. The Board concurred stating they would like to also discuss 40B Permits. Ken Mahony was asked to put an agenda together for this meeting. Rich Preston will call Mr. Bobrowski and try to schedule a meeting for October 29th or November 5th.
• Uxbridge Dunkin Donuts: Ken Mahony reported that he has asked Police Chief Foley to call the Uxbridge Police Chief to see if Douglas can help alleviate the traffic problems to Douglas commuters at the Dunkin Donuts.
• Vacation: Ken Mahony reported that he has 10 days of vacation left that he needs to take or lose. He will be taking Fridays off starting this Friday through November.

12. Old/New Business:
• Budget Information:
Paula Brouillette asked if the Capital Plan will be part of the Budget Information and process and how will it be handled. She said she would talk off-line with Ken Mahony and Rich Mathieu and Mr. Mahony agreed.
• Downtown Improvements: Paula Brouillette asked when the follow-up meeting with Bill Cundiff will be. She sated that this is a line item in the Capital Plan with zero (0) dollars and it needs to be addressed. She stated that she would like to have a date for the next step.
• Quarterly Budget Review: Paula Brouillette mentioned that we have just finished our first quarter. She asked if they could see quarterly reports from the Accountant and if so, when would be a reasonable time to expect them. Ken Mahony stated that Town Accountant Rich Mathieu is involved with the audit and hasn’t closed yet. Once he closes he can get reports out. Paula Brouillette understands that it may be awhile for the first reports but would like to set up a schedule so the Board can review the reports on a quarterly basis, looking for a reasonable time to expect the reports and allowing sufficient time for the Town Accountant to produce them. She wondered if the second scheduled Selectmen’s meeting after the quarter would be enough time. Ken Mahony stated that he sees no problem down the road, concurring that the Board needs to see this information, just not now. The Board concurred with Paula Brouillette and Rich Preston asked Mr. Mahony to speak with Rich Mathieu and report back with a date.
• Economic Development: Ken Mahony asked the Board if they wanted to include the Economic Development Committee with the Joint Meeting with ZBA, Planning and Conservation. Paula Brouillette felt the meeting would be too big. Shirley Mosczynski stated that they should be separated because the information needed is different.
• Standing Building Committee: Paula Brouillette stated that although she missed the joint meeting with the School Committee, School Building Committee, and Finance Committee, she did review the tape. She inquired into having the Board look into a standing/permanent Building Committee. Ken Mahony expressed his feelings that once a contract has been awarded the projects Building Committee should be terminated, stating that he will not take responsibility for a project he does not have control over. He does not want to have to go to a Committee in order to get work done. Paula Brouillette stated that she does not disagree with Mr. Mahony, but she feels there is knowledge built up by the people in these committees and they loose that once the project is over. She feels it is important to have continuity in what they are doing. Ken Mahony feels that once the project is awarded – their involvement should end. Rich Preston feels Paula Brouillette’s idea has a lot of merit and suggested they explore the idea. Shirley Mosczynski agreed stating that Northbridge has a permanent Building Committee. She suggested they look into seeing if they could get someone from Northbridge to come talk to the Board. Ken Mahony asked Shirley Mosczynski if they would consider a termination point for the Building Committee. Shirley Mosczynski stated that they were not making any decisions, just looking for information. Paula Brouillette will call Northbridge.
• Openings on Committees: Shirley Mosczynski asked if the Council on Aging or the Library Building Committee have given any recommendations for new members. Suzanne Kane informed that they have not.
• Library Building Committee: Rich Preston informed the Board that he had attended a recent Library Building Committee meeting where the Grant Douglas received was discussed. Douglas received $1,778,970.00. He said the Committee would be coming to update the Board at a later date.
• Upcoming Meetings: Shirley Mosczynski pointed out that it is time to register for the 2003 Annual Trade Show Meeting and the Finance Meeting for both Finance Committee’s and Selectmen.

13. Adjournment.
Rich Preston moved to adjourn at 8:55 pm. Paula Brouillette seconded the motion. All – aye.


Respectfully submitted,



Suzanne Kane
Administrative Assistant
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2002 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron