February 9, 2010 Capital Improvement Committee

February 9, 2010 Capital Improvement Committee

Postby Lisa Lannon » Fri May 07, 2010 1:31 pm

CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
FEBRUARY 9, 2010



A meeting of the Capital Improvement Committee was held on February 9, 2010 in the Municipal Center Resource Room. Chief Gonynor called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM.

ATTENDANCE
PRESENT:
(Capital Improvement Committee): Paula Brouillette, Don Gonynor (Chairman), Mark Dunleavy (Vice-Chairman), Shirley Mosczynski, Ellie Chesebrough, Dean Iacobucci, Betty Ann Therrien, Mike Guzinski (Executive Administrator).
(Building Facilities Construction Committee): William McConnell, Shirley Mosczynski, Virginia Howe, Sean Holland, William Cundiff (Town Engineer).
ABSENT:
(Building Facilities Construction Committee): Daniel Heney.

1. JOINT MEETING WITH BUILDING FACILITIES CONSTRUCTION COMMITTEE
Chief Gonynor noted that the Capital Improvement Committee is tasked with the job of rating the projects before them to put before the Town and wanted to get some input from the Building Facilities Construction Committee.
Mr. Cundiff noted the Comprehensive Building Use Study report which was developed that indicated a high priority for additional space for the schools. This is separate from the municipal buildings. The School Building Committee is currently addressing the issues of the school building project. He noted that high on the list of priorities was the Police Department and Highway Garage as well as the Library with the ADA requirements.
Chief Gonynor noted the possibility of bids coming in at a lower cost than estimated. He suggested having Clark Rowell (Unibank) come in to discuss the debt and the impact these projects would make. Ms Brouillette noted the Board of Selectmen has been talking to Water & Sewer about the options for extending the sewer line down to the Fire Department to meet the need of a Safety Complex as well as commercial property in that area. She emphasized the need to get as much information as possible to the public so they can make an informed decision. Ms. Chesebrough noted discussions have taken place regarding the possibility of bundling projects. This process was discussed.
Mr. Cundiff suggested a feasibility study be done to evaluate what would be appropriate and some alternatives. The process was discussed. It was noted that there should be more of a concept design versus a feasibility study. Discussion held. Mr. Cundiff noted that included in the report was an estimated design and construction cost for each design item and suggested that this be updated and presented to the Capital Improvements Committee. Mr. Guzinski also suggested the Committee determine what exactly they want Clark Rowell to take a look at. Issues of sewer extension were discussed.
Ms. Therrien made a motion that the consensus of the Capital Improvement Committee is to move forward with a feasibility study to include the Safety Complex for the Fire, Police and Highway Garage and the Library project to present to the voters at the Town Meeting. Ms. Brouillette seconded the motion. Vote unanimous. Mr. Guzinski and Mr. Cundiff will work on the scope of work to be completed. The Building Facilities Construction Committee was thanked for their time.

2. BILL CUNDIFF – CAPITAL PROJECT REQUEST OVERVIEW
Mr. Cundiff gave an update on the status of projects he has been working on:
• The side walk extension on Route 16 between Franklin Street and Sunset Drive. He distributed a plan and proposes holding off on this project until the time that the Highway Department addresses the repairs of that road. Some discussion held. Consensus of the Committee was to table this project as presented.
• The storm water studies that were done to comply with ETA Requirements. He noted that some money was budgeted for fiscal improvements that were not needed. Mr. Guzinski noted $22,874 available in the National Pollutant Discharge Account for other projects.
• There is $100 left in an account that was left over from original design plans when bid documents were put together.
Mr. Cundiff will email the Committee with an update on sidewalk plans.

3. RICK COLONERO– CAPITAL PROJECT REQUEST OVERVIEW
Mr. Colonero noted the needs of this building cannot be forgotten. He feels some discussion needs to take place regarding a timeline for this building that is workable. He discussed the capital project requests for his department:
• The Municipal Center exterior renovation. This would include masonry, painting, partial reroofing and some windows. Some discussion held. The breakdown of prices was reviewed.
• The boiler replacement including electrical and air-conditioning. He noted that he is having some specialists to check the system and to see if the efficiency can be upgraded.
• He discussed the old elementary school exterior masonry restoration. Discussion held regarding the status of this building including possible grants for restoration and use.
• Mr. Colonero discussed the request for a used 4X4 pickup truck. Chief Gonynor suggested looking at a new truck and the possibility of packaging it along with the School Department request for a truck.
• The replacement of air conditioner condensers. It was noted that request would be unnecessary if the HVAC was entirely replaced.
• He discussed the Master Facilities Plan and noted the need to update.
• The old fire station’s need for exterior paint. He noted that he is looking at working with the Police Department to get a crew from the Department of Corrections to do this work.
• He discussed the request to replace the windows in the post office, however noted that the lease is up in 9 years. It was felt that perhaps a study could be done to determine the energy cost savings.

4. APPROVE MINUTES OF JANUARY 12, 2010
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to approve the minutes of the January 12, 2010 Capital Improvement Committee as amended. Ms. Brouillette seconded the motion. Vote: Yes – 6, Abstained – 1. Motion carries.


5. OTHER BUSINESS
The meeting for next week will be rescheduled tentatively scheduled for Thursday, February 25, 2010. Mr. Guzinski will contact Mr. Rowell.

6. ADJOURNMENT
Ms. Mosczynski made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:38 PM. Ms. Brouillette seconded the motion. Vote unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,


Lisa Lannon
Recording Secretary
Lisa Lannon
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 am

Return to Capital Improvement Committee Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest