Minutes July 24, 2012

Moderator: Ellie Chesebrough

Minutes July 24, 2012

Postby Ellie Chesebrough » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 am

Simon Fairfield Public Library
July 24, 2012
Minutes
Trustee Meeting

Present: Joe Biagioni, Merritt Tetreault, Ellie Chesebrough, Barbara VanReed, Barbara Grimes-Smith, Ramona Lachapelle, Danielle Morrow, Betty Holden and Ann Carlsson.

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM.

Minutes for June 26th and July 11th were accepted.

The Treasurer’s Report was accepted as corrected.

Director’s Report
Carlsson reported on her car accident and the need to take off the previous week sick and a few more days sick the following week.

Page Brian McGauley resigned and Danielle Moore will be his replacement

Patience Jackson from the Board of Library Commissioners reported to Carlsson that to her knowledge only Grafton and Seekonk were threatened with fines for not having handicapped accessibility. No actual fines had been imposed.

The Summer Reading Program is in process. To date, approximately 75 kids are registered. Musician Jay Mankita performed outside for the kick off program. Yetti Frankel is coming to do a Haiku Poetry and Illustrated Card Workshop. On August 8, there will be a Let’s Go Art program. In the three story times for younger kids a total of 38 are registered. In June a large purchase was made for the school’s summer reading lists and have been used a lot.

The “We Love Libraries” video has been provided to Cable for airing on Channel 12.

Old Business
Building Renovation
Biagioni had received verbal confirmation from all three abutters that they are fine with the easement for the right of way through Petraglia’s. He will check with Town Engineer Cundiff concerning the cost/responsibility for the Right of Way document.

Biagioni asked for reports from those Trustees who had contacted Selectmen about the timing of asking the Town to fund the Library renovation. The two Selectmen he spoke with, although supportive of the project, felt the timing for a Fall vote was not appropriate. Chesebrough reported that her Selectman was pro-library, he felt having a vote on the general election ballot in November would get more voters involved. He also strongly suggested getting more volunteers together to personally speak with voters. Chesebrough suggested holding focus groups to find volunteers. VanReed’s Selectman had questions about how many individuals were actually using the library; a suggestion for presenting a week in the life of the library might prove beneficial. Tetreault’s Selectman, a believer in the Library who is in favor of the renovation feels that the Town is three years away from funding such a project. He also suggested a non-binding referendum article on the November election ballot. Morrow voiced her support of a referendum feeling it was a great way to see what interest there is in the building renovation project. Tetreault will contact the Secretary of State to see if such a referendum can be put on the November election ballot. Biagioni reminded all that no matter what the Library building will need ADA accessibility in the future. Biagioni took an informal survey of the Trustees on whether a non-binding referendum was supported. Most supported it; one felt it would cause confusion, whether it was a vote to fund the project or to support it. Additional comments included:
• going for a Spring vote if the referendum was supported
• a need to generate support
• is there another way to get the information asked for on the referendum
• support from the Selectmen is needed
• volunteer help is needed
• there is an big economic downturn being felt by residents

It was moved and seconded not proceed with a Fall, 2012 vote for funding the renovation project. Vote unanimous.

It was moved and seconded to add a non-binding referendum question on the November ballot. 7 yes; 1 abstained.

Sign
Tetreault spoke with Building Inspector Adele Davis about the sign. She noted that an application is required. Tetreault has contacted and is awaiting a response from Town Administrator Guzinski about the details.

Director’s Review
Grimes-Smith will schedule a new time to meet with Carlsson to set goals for the next six months.

New Business
None

The next meeting will be August 28, 2012

Respectfully submitted,

Ellie Chesebrough
Secretary
Ellie Chesebrough
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am

Return to Library Trustee Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron