Board of Selectmen - December 18, 2018

Board of Selectmen - December 18, 2018

Postby Suzanne Kane » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:40 am

Board of Selectmen
Agenda
December 18, 2018
Municipal Center Resource Room

7:00 pm

• Call to Order
• Pledge of Allegiance
• Chairman’s Announcements
• Citizen’s Forum

1. Approve All Other License Renewals – Possible Votes

2. CodeRed / Emergency Notification Policy – 2nd Reading

3. Resource Room Upgrades – Possible Vote(s)

4. Minutes: December 4, 2018

5. Administrator’s Report

6. Old / New Business

7. Executive Session – Real Property, Possible Litigation
8. Adjournment
______________________________________________________________________________
Future Agenda Items:

Jan 15th:
Chapter 61 Land – Chase 5.19 acres
_____________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________
December 18, 2018 - BoS Minutes.pdf
(197.12 KiB) Downloaded 442 times

BOARD OF SELECTMEN
MEETING MINUTES
December 18, 2018
Approved January 15, 2019


Call to Order

Chairman Kevin Morse called the Board of Selectmen (BOS) meeting to order at 7:00 PM in the Resource Room at the Municipal Center.

ATTENDANCE:
Board: Kevin Morse (Chair), Tim Bonin, David Cortese (Vice Chair), Hal Davis, Mike Hughes, Matt Wojcik (Town Administrator), Suzanne Kane (Administrative Assistant)
Other Staff and Citizens: Police Chief Nick Miglionico, Arden Wojcik, Steve Zisk (Conservation Agent), Ethan Harper, Ramona Williams and other staff and citizens.

• Pledge of Allegiance
(00:06)

• Chairman’s Announcements (00:25)
Eagle Scout Ethan Harper joined the meeting and spoke about the work he did on the bleachers at Soldier’s Field. Ms. Kane asked Mr. Harper to email her a picture of himself with the bleachers.
Ramona Williams joined the meeting and was recognized for her 36 years of service to the Simon Fairfield Library.

• Citizen’s Forum (08:12)
No one came forward.

1. Approve all Other License Renewals-Possible Vote(s) (08:25)
In the packet is a list of licenses, renewal checklists and related materials.
Ms. Kane presented the list of licenses and the checklists. All local taxes have been paid, except for one license holder. It was the consensus to remove that licensee from the list and vote to approve that license once the taxes have been paid.
Mr. Hughes made a motion to approve the list of license renewals as presented, minus the one licensee whose taxes are not current. Mr. Cortese seconded the motion. Vote: All-Aye.

2. CodeRed/Emergency Notification Policy-Second Reading (10:52)
In the packet is “Town of Douglas Municipal Town-Wide Electronic Notification Service(s) Policy”.
Mr. Wojcik stated that there have been no changes since the last meeting.

3. Resource Room Upgrades-Possible Vote(s) (11:47)
The entire job has gone out to bid and Mr. Wojcik is working with the Cable Committee to share the costs of the upgrades.
Mr. Bonin feels Douglas would set a dangerous precedent if their public meetings are not aired. He supports maintaining cable services. Mr. Wojcik stated that the Cable Committee has passed a resolution and sent a letter to the FCC regarding funding for cable access. It was the consensus of the BOS (Mr. Morse recused himself) that Mr. Wojcik prepare a letter of support for review at the next meeting.

4. Minutes: December 4, 2018 (16:37)
Mr. Hughes made a motion to approve the minutes of the December 4, 2018 regular session BOS meeting as presented. Seconded by Mr. Cortese. Vote: All-Aye.

5. Town Administrator’s Report (17:06)
Mr. Wojcik stated that the Fire Dept. and Highway Barn are cleaning out old equipment. Items of value will be auctioned and items of no value sold for scrap. The BOS needs to approve the auction. Mr. Wojcik suggested announcing the auction items, advertising, and holding the auction on January 18, 2019. Mr. Wojcik reviewed a list of the auction items to date and read the auction procedure.
Mr. Wojcik presented a draft of the “Intermunicipal Agreement to Form a Joint Negotiation and Purchase of Certain Insurance Coverages as a Joint Purchasing Group”. The entities that have joined together are Douglas, Millbury, Southbridge, Webster and the Dudley/Charlton Regional School District, provided the boards with authority agree to enter into the agreement. The initial step is to make sure there is enough financial cushion to cover claims and pay for the reinsurance at whatever attachment point is chosen. Mr. Wojcik asked the BOS to send him their comments by early to mid-January, 2019.
Mr. Wojcik stated that the Town received a $500,000 bridge grant to rebuild the Cedar Street bridge, above and beyond the Town’s Chapter 90 funds. The project is contingent upon the engineer’s (Greenman Pedersen) analysis of the existing abutment. If the abutment needs to be replaced, $500,000 will not cover the project.
Mr. Wojcik stated that in the packet is a checklist that an applicant would have to follow for the Town engineer to review. This checklist was created in response to the issue regarding the driveway to the Glenn Street Water Pumping Station. The Highway Superintendent has stated that the Town could use the material generated from that project.
Mr. Wojcik stated that the new Town website is operating and the old website will soon only appear as the bulletin board. There will be no tolerance for abusing the posting function of the website.
Mr. Wojcik stated that on the next agenda, there will be at least two revised job descriptions for the BOS to approve: one for the Finance Director and one for the Facilities Manager.
Mr. Wojcik stated that he intends to work with the Finance Committee on January 8, 2019 to prepare a Revenue estimate. Policies for Capital, Free Cash, etc. are needed in order to become GFOA certified.

6. Old/New Business (37:53)
Old Business: Mr. Bonin commented on the dangerous traffic on Main Street. He suggested flashing crosswalk signs and other types of signs. Chief Miglionico will work with John Furno, Highway Superintendent.
New Business: Mr. Morse and the BOS wished the public a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

7. Executive Session – Potential Litigation (40:37)
Mr. Bonin made a motion at 7:40 PM to go into Executive Session for the purpose of real property and potential litigation and to return to regular session for the purpose of adjournment. Mr. Hughes seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote: Tim Bonin – Aye, Dave Cortese – Aye, Hal Davis – Aye, Mike Hughes- Aye, Kevin Morse – Aye.
The BOS called a recess and reconvened in the Selectmen’s Office at 7:47 PM.

8. Adjournment (41:40)
Mr. Hughes made a motion at 8:10 PM to adjourn. Mr. Cortese seconded the motion. Vote: All-Aye.

Respectfully submitted,


Mary Wright
Recording Secretary
Suzanne Kane
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 2:01 pm

Return to 2018 Selectmen Meeting Agendas and Minutes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron