3/5/2007 - Meeting Minutes

Moderator: Maria Lajoie

3/5/2007 - Meeting Minutes

Postby Maria Lajoie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:06 am

The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm.

ATTENDANCE
Acting Chairman Michael Yacino, Linda Brown, Ralph Dudley, Michael Valliere, Brandi Van Roo, Stephen Zisk (Planning/Conservation Agent), William Cundiff (Town Engineer) and Maria Chesley (Administrative Secretary). Absent were Chairwoman Marylynne Dube and Leon Mosczynski.


7:00 PM CONSERVATION COMMISSION BUSINESS
1. Burrillville Conservation Commission. The Burrillville Conservation Commission has invited the Douglas Conservation Commission to an informational meeting on Thursday, March 29, 2007, at 7:00pm. The discussion will be “Living on the Water” regarding Wallum Lake. Yacino said that Dube and Mosczynski would be interested in going and asked the members who would also be interested in attending this meeting. Yacino said that he would be attending and Brown, Dudley, Valliere and Zisk said that they would go also. Yacino asked Chesley to post this meeting.
2. Form a Sub-committee. Yacino suggested that the Commission form a sub-committee to acknowledge certain residents who have continued the protection of our natural resources.
3. Conservation Commission Members Appointments. Yacino asked Cundiff or Zisk to update the Town’s Web Site regarding the members’ appointments.
4. Roy Goodwin, 53, Gilboa Street. The Commission hired BSC Group (Gillian Davies, Senior Wetlands & Soil Scientist) to view the property for potential violations of the Mass Wetlands Protection Act and the Douglas Wetlands Bylaw and associated regulations. BSC Group viewed the property from adjacent properties and at no time did BSC Group enter Mr. Goodwin’s property. Davies observed an intermittent stream (flowing on 1/31/07) entering the 53 Gilboa Street property from a culvert under Gilboa Street. This stream flows toward the Mumford River through the Goodwin property. A game bird coop appears to have been constructed approximately 10-15 feet from the banks of the intermittent stream and stocked with game birds and the natural vegetation along the stream banks appears to have been impacted in association with the game bird coop, and stream bank erosion appears to be occurring. The intermittent stream appears to have been widened (banks excavated) and wooden boards appear to have been installed in the stream in order to shore up the widened banks. Piles of what appear to be construction debris (and may or may not contain hazardous materials) are being stored on the property’s driveway adjacent to Gilboa Street. Apparent construction debris may be being used to fill an area behind some railroad ties. A foundation in the backyard is visible from the other side of the Mumford River and it appears that work is continuing on the foundation to install stone facing on the exterior wall of the foundation. BSC Group recommends that the Commission check records to see if an Order of Conditions was issued for this work, and if not, to continue to pursue the apparent violations (Bank, Land Under Water, Riverfront Area and Bordering Land Subject to Flooding). Cundiff suggested finding out when the structures were installed; aerial views may be prior to the Riverfront Act. Brown said that there may have been an RDA. Yacino feels that a letter should be sent to Goodwin at some point inviting him in to a meeting to discuss the above issues and the members agreed. Chesley will check the files and research the Meeting Minutes for information.
5. Pyne, 34 Davis Street. The abutters to this property filed with DEP for a Superseding Order of Resource Area Delineation and it was denied. Yacino said that the Commission made a good decision and the abutters did their homework as well. DEP is following up on possible cold water fisheries and Zisk said that a design is different for critical areas such as this property.
6. Rosenfeld Concrete Corp, South Street Gravel Pit. Yacino said that he, as a Town resident, wrote to DEP regarding Rosenfeld’s Superseding Order of Conditions.
7. Board of Health. The Commission sent a letter to the Board of Health asking to meet with them to discuss the allowed setback for a leach field. Cundiff said that when Board’s are inconsistent and the standards need to be identical for the sake of the environment.


7:30 PM PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED: GUARANTEED BUILDERS & DEVELOPERS (NOI)
37 Glen Street, Lot #1B
The Commission received a letter from William Pybas of Guaranteed Builders requesting a continuance of their Hearing for the second meeting in April, 2007. A MOTION was made by Valliere to continue the Public Hearing on Tuesday, April 17, 2007, at 7:55pm, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.


7:35 PM CONSERVATION COMMISSION BUSINESS CONTINUED
8. F & D Central Realty Trust, 100 & 102 Perry Street. Yacino asked Zisk if the problem was taken care of regarding the blocking of the driveway and Zisk said that he spoke to the owner and they said they would take care of the problems.
9. Robert Speroni, Davis Street. Zisk said that he cleared the property but the hay bales are not staked and some need repair. The Commission asked Zisk to inform Speroni to replace the hay bales that need repair and to have them staked (or straw bales if the Order of Conditions was approved after the Policy was adopted).


MEETING MINUTES OF 12/4/06
After review, a MOTION was made by Van Roo to approve the Meeting Minutes of Monday, December 4, 2006, as amended, seconded by Valliere. VOTE UNANIMOUS.


MEETING MINUTES OF 2/20/07
After review, a MOTION was made by Van Roo to approve the Meeting Minutes of Tuesday, February 20, 2007, as amended, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.


7:45 PM PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED: GUARANTEED BUILDERS & DEVELOPERS (NOI)
37 Glen Street, Lot #2B
The Commission received a letter from William Pybas of Guaranteed Builders requesting a continuance of their Hearing for the second meeting in April, 2007. A MOTION was made by Brown to continue the Public Hearing on Tuesday, April 17, 2007, at 8:10pm, seconded by Valliere. VOTE UNANIMOUS.


7:50 PM CONSERVATION COMMISSION BUSINESS CONTINUED
10. Van Roo said that she recently attended the MA Turtle Symposium that discussed turtle habitat and mowing in critical areas. She asked the Commission’s opinion about creating a policy for turtle habitat that, when mowing, the blade needs to be 7-inches high. She said that the NHESP recommended mowing procedure is to mow opposite of the turtle habitat first and then toward the turtle habitat in order to give the turtles time to move. Zisk asked Van Roo if the conservation land should be mowed every year. Brown said that they should mow in the spring but Van Roo said to wait to mow in October when the turtles have hatched out. Van Roo said she would write a “draft” policy for the Commission to review and approve. Van Roo also suggested that it would be a good idea to work with the school system to teach the students about wildlife and doing wildlife inventory on town conservation properties. Zisk said that the school’s biologists would be interested and that he would talk to them. Silt Fence. Van Roo said that silt fences should be removed or not used because when the fences fall down and go down stream, the turtles can drown. Zisk said the Commission only has the applicants use straw bales now and sometimes the developer chooses to install silt fencing on their own. Yacino suggested telling the applicants not to use silt fence. The Commission agreed that when someone requests a Certificate of Compliance, the silt fence and straw bales must be removed prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Compliance. Yacino asked Zisk to create a standard condition for this.


8:00 PM PUBLIC HEARING CONTINUED: LOUIS TUSINO (NOI)
103 Shore Road
The Commission received a letter from Louis Tusino of Guaranteed Builders requesting a continuance of his Hearing for the second meeting in April, 2007. A MOTION was made by Valliere to continue the Public Hearing on Tuesday, April 17, 2007, at 8:25pm, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.


SIGNED
1. Order of Conditions: Norman Gadoury, 103 Franklin Street
2. Amended Order of Conditions: F & D Central Realty Trust, Inc., 100 & 102 Perry Street
3. Negative Determination of Applicability: Stuart & Deborah VandenAkker, 83 Island Road
4. Extension Permit for Order of Conditions: Raymond & Jeannette Fearing, 133 Perry Street
5. Extension Permit for Order of Conditions: Frederick Dodd, 63 Shady Lane
6. Vouchers (2)


8:10 PM CONSERVATION COMMISSION BUSINESS CONTINUED
11. DEP Grant. Cundiff gave the members a copy of the Mass Department of Environmental Protection’s Section 319 NPS Project 01-27/319 offering grants for a) impaired waters and b) stormwater discharge projects (contamination caused by stormwater). Dudley stated that the Blackstone Valley Watershed Association has been monitoring conditions for quite some time now and that the information is available. Yacino would like to see testing done on Potter Road, Soldiers Field and Hayward Landing to name a few. The members will review the form and discuss it at a future meeting.
12. Town Maps. Cundiff asked the Commission if they would send a letter to the Planning Board supporting the Town Maps, which includes the Aquifer and Flood Plain Maps. Yacino asked if there are any changes being made to the original maps and Cundiff said no. It was a consensus of the Board to send a letter supporting the upgrading of the Town Maps.

8:20 PM PUBLIC HEARING: WILLIAM EAGAN (NOI)
80 Maple Street (Lot #3)
Present on behalf of the Applicant was Karen Keegan of Andrews Survey. The scope of work includes the construction of a single family dwelling, well, on site sewage disposal system, driveway, garage and associated grading. Brown asked Keegan who did the wetland delineation and Keegan said EcoTec did in 2004. Zisk said that there is runoff on the right side of the driveway and asked Keegan if it was flowing over the driveway or if the driveway was raised and is there a pipe underneath and Keegan said that she wasn’t sure but would find out. Zisk suggested dissipating the water in three areas in the driveway. Cundiff said that he wanted to see a cross section of driveway. Yacino would like to see the sewage disposal system and well moved and said that this is a good example to talk to the Board of Health about. Keegan said that if they moved the sewage disposal system and well, they would have to do more soil testing at the Applicant’s expense. Van Roo suggested to Keegan to always look for the lowest impact. Cundiff asked Keegan if the tight corners would accommodate a fire truck and Keegan said that she didn’t know. Cundiff also said that the driveway on the plan looks like a valley and may channel any water.
The Commission scheduled a site walk for Monday, March 12, 2007, at 10:00am. A MOTION was made by Valliere to continue this Hearing on Monday, March 19, 2007, at 8:30pm, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.


ADJOURNMENT
At 8:37pm, a MOTION was made by Valliere to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.

Respectfully submitted,
Community Development Dept.



Maria D. Chesley
Administrative Secretary
Maria Lajoie
Maria Lajoie
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Community Development Department

Return to 2007 Conservation Commission Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron