4/2/2007 - Meeting Minutes

Moderator: Maria Lajoie

4/2/2007 - Meeting Minutes

Postby Maria Lajoie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:00 pm

The meeting was called to order at 6:45pm.

Chairwoman Marylynne Dube, Leon Mosczynski, Michael Yacino, Ralph Dudley, Linda Brown, Brandi Van Roo, Stephen Zisk (Planning/Conservation Agent), William Cundiff (Town Engineer) and Maria Chesley (Administrative Secretary). Absent was Michael Valliere.

Proposed Amendment to the Town of Douglas General Bylaw by Adding a New Section: Illegal Discharges and Stormwater Connections
William Cundiff, Town Engineer, gave a presentation of this proposed amendment to adopt a stormwater bylaw (please see attached copy). Cundiff said that construction activity for instance means activities subject to NPDES construction permits. These include all projects resulting in land disturbance of one (1) acre or more. Such activities include but are not limited to clearing and grubbing, grading, excavating and demolition. This is to make sure that clean stormwater is leaving the site. Cundiff said that the Board of Selectmen reviewed and agreed to approve this proposed bylaw dated July 27, 2006 and that the Conservation Commission will be the Authorized Enforcement Agency. This proposed bylaw will be on the Annual Town Meeting Warrant on May 7, 2007.

1. Burrillville Conservation Commission Meeting. Dube said that the meeting was informative and that another meeting will be scheduled in the future.
2. When Applicants/Engineers fail to appear for their Public Hearing. Yacino asked the Commission what their authority was because in many cases, when an Applicant or their Representative fails to appear, this affects someone else that could have been scheduled who was ready and it is not fair to them to make them wait. Cundiff feels that if it is an on-going project, the Commission should continue the Public Hearing at a reasonable time or if the Commission does not receive a request for a continuance in writing, the Commission could close the Hearing. Yacino feels that a Hearing should be closed if the Commission does not hear from the Applicant or its Representative and if no new information has been submitted. Cundiff agreed but said that the Commission should continue a Hearing as long as it is progressing. Zisk agreed and suggested that the Commission continue a Hearing for sixty (60) days in some cases. The Commission agreed.
3. Received a letter from Jeanne-Marie Boylan, President of Rosenfeld Concrete Corp dated 3/22/07 regarding a Proposed Reclamation Plan for the South Street Gravel Pit. Present for this discussion was Nancy Prominski, Robert Bowie and Ron Corriveau. Corriveau said that Normand Gamache of Guerriere & Halnon did an existing condition plan consisting of what is to be reclaimed, graded, loam and seed on slopes but said that Rosenfeld needs access to finish the replication and will have to bring in approximately 1,000 square feet of loam. Cundiff said that this is separate from the 1st filing from the Planning Board Special Permit. Cundiff asked Corriveau to define the scope of work including truck traffic, loam, seed and straw bales. Cundiff also asked Corriveau what the timeframe was from start to finish and Corriveau said they would like to start in mid April and finish by mid May depending on the weather. The Commission asked Cundiff to write Rosenfeld a letter outlining the agreement regarding the above. Zisk asked Corriveau to stay away from the 200-foot riverfront area. Yacino asked Corriveau to have the engineer take existing grades 50-feet to the west across the crossing (show the straw bale line to the west and east). Cundiff also asked Corriveau to show a 2-foot contour for the crossing area. Van Roo asked Corriveau about using seed with hay mulch vs straw mulch and Corriveau said that he has done many replications and finds that hay works best in wide open spaces, but said that he could obtain straw mulch if the Commission wants.
4. Ross Smith, 94 Island Road: Request to extend deck 5-feet. After discussion, the Commission agreed to give Smith permission to extend his deck to the end of the house and that Smith use only one (1) sonar tube for this extension. Chesley will write Smith a letter regarding their request.
5. Stuart & Deborah VandenAkker, 83 Island Road: Request to use a small bobcat with a 10-inch auger to dig post holes for deck. After discussion, the Commission agreed that there is to be no mechanical machinery used on their property at 83 Island Road. Chesley was asked to write the VandenAkker’s a letter regarding their request.

Webster Road, Lot #1
Cundiff said that he and Paul Cusson played phone tag but did not get a chance to talk to him about what his intentions were for these Hearings. A MOTION was made by Yacino to continue the Public Hearing on Monday, August 6, 2007, at 7:30pm, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.

80 Maple Street (Lot #3)
Present on behalf of the Applicant was Karen Keegan of Andrews Survey. Keegan submitted a revised plan per Zisk’s request (added 18-inch ADS pipe, gravel driveway detail, telephone poles). A MOTION was made by Yacino to close the Public Hearing and issue an Order of Conditions, seconded by Dudley. VOTE UNANIMOUS.

Webster Road, Lot #2
A MOTION was made by Yacino to continue the Public Hearing on Monday, August 6, 2007, at 7:31pm, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.

88 West Street
The Commission received a request for a continuance to July, 2007. A MOTION was made by Yacino to continue the Public Hearing on Monday, July 16, 2007, at 7:30pm, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.

6. Kimberly Schwenderman, 346 Southwest Main Street: Request for a
Certificate of Compliance. The Commission will discuss this at their next
meeting and will look at the property again.
7. FYI. Received a copy of a letter from Michael Guzinski, Executive Administrator, dated 3/15/07, to Sheriff Guy Glodis regarding the Community Service Program. Cundiff said that he would inform the Commission as to when Mr. Glodis would be coming to town.
8. Update: Roy Goodwin, 53 Gilboa Street. Zisk informed the Commission that he compiled information (1998-2006) regarding the Goodwin property. The Commission instructed Zisk to send the information to BSC Group and then to DEP. The Commission agreed that there should be a 3rd party involved. A MOTION was made by Yacino to authorize Zisk to put a package together and send it to the appropriate agencies, seconded by Mosczynski. VOTE UNANIMOUS.
9. Letter to Board of Health. The Commission asked Zisk if he had received a response to the letter that the Commission sent to them and Zisk said that they would discuss the letter at their meeting this week on Wednesday night.

317 South Street
Present was William & Teena Porter and their representative Michael Yerka of Yerka Engineering. The scope of work consists of the construction of a new two-car detached garage next to an existing single family home. The proposed work is being located on the existing lawn area, which is also located within the riverfront area. Mr. Porter said that this garage will house a motor home and a trailer for his race car. The garage will have a 12-foot wide door and will be 12-feet high. Yerka said that he did an alternative analysis for Zisk to review because the garage is within the 50-foot no build zone. The Commission scheduled a site walk for Thursday, April 12, 2007, at 5:15pm. A MOTION was made by Yacino to continue the Public Hearing on Tuesday, May 1, 2007, at 8:15pm, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.

10. Steven Swartz, 46 Chestnut Street: Request to take out “Amended”
on his Order of Conditions in order to record the document at the
Registry of Deeds. The Commission agreed to this because Swartz had
never recorded the original Order of Conditions or the “Amended” Order
of Conditions. Chesley will contact Swartz and send him the Order of
Conditions by certified mail to record at the Registry of Deeds. After
Swartz does that, Swartz will ask for an extension on his Order of
11. Received a letter from Ingeborg Hegemann of BSC Group dated 3/20/07, regarding a Change Order #1 for 53 Gilboa Street (Dube to sign if approved). After discussion, a MOTION was made by Yacino to instruct Zisk to contact BSC Group and have them revise their proposal from $5,000 to $2,000, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.

At 8:25pm, a MOTION was made by Yacino to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Brown. VOTE UNANIMOUS.

Respectfully submitted,
Community Development Dept.

Maria D. Chesley
Administrative Secretary
Maria Lajoie
Maria Lajoie
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Community Development Department

Return to 2007 Conservation Commission Meetings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest