You will need the following items in order to change your plate at a Secretary of State office:
- Your driver’s license, together with either the registration or the license plate number for your car
- You can pay with cash, a check, a money order, or a credit or debit card (all of which should be paid payable to the State of Michigan) (additional fees apply). The minimum cost for acquiring a regular license plate is about $5.
What do I need to get plates and tags in Michigan?
Things You’ll Need to Have in Order to Register Your Car in Michigan
- Form TR-11L, the Michigan Vehicle Title Application, duly filled out and signed
- Identification (such as a driver’s license, passport, or identification card)
- Documentation proving ownership of the car
- Evidence that the vehicle has Michigan’s no-fault insurance
- The payment of any fees and taxes that are relevant
How often do you have to get a new license plate in Michigan?
A new rule requires motorists in the state of Michigan to update their license plates after ten years.
Can I register an old license plate in Michigan?
Plates of identification for historical vehicles in the state of Michigan Either a Michigan historical vehicle plate or a real Michigan license plate from the same year as the historic vehicle’s model year can be used to register a vehicle with the Michigan Secretary of State, depending on which option the car owner prefers.
How much does a new license plate cost in Michigan?
Ordering license plates may be done either through the Online Services or over the mail using the appropriate application. Ordering replacement license plates may be done either online or at a self-service kiosk while the renewal of a tab is being processed. The cost of a standard plate is $5. There are expenses associated with registration as well as plate customization.
Do you need an appointment at Secretary of State Michigan?
Those who need to visit a Secretary of State office have the option of scheduling their visit in advance or showing up at any office unannounced. In either case, the staff will provide immediate assistance if there is availability, invite them to wait or return that same day for the next opening, or provide assistance booking a return visit, typically for the day after the current one.
How do I renew my license plate in Michigan?
How do I go about renewing the registration, tab, and license plate on my vehicle?
- Online. To renew, either use the Quick Renewal option or login. To access Online Services, click here.
- Stations with no human interaction. Instant tab updates and printing are now available. Find a location that offers self-service
- Office visit. If you are unable to renew your license online, in the mail, or at a station, you must go to an office.
What do I need to renew my plates in Michigan?
Notification of renewal or a valid certificate of registration at the present time. a valid license for driving. Documentation proving that you have automobile insurance. If you pay with a credit card for the registration costs, you will be charged an extra processing fee equal to two percent of the total amount.
How long does it take to get a new license plate in Michigan?
How much longer will it be until I get my plate and/or my tab? When renewing a license plate online or in the mail, give yourself at least 14 days. Your renewal can be processed promptly at a branch office (although you will be required to provide verification of Michigan no-fault insurance), but it will take at least two weeks if you want to renew via one of these other options.
How much does it cost to transfer a plate in Michigan?
Plate transfer fees will range from $10 to $15 depending on the registration fee for the vehicle that will be receiving the plate; additional fees will need to be paid if the plate is being replaced or renewed at the time of transfer; or transferring a plate to a vehicle with a higher manufacturer’s suggested retail price will incur an additional fee.
How many license plates are required in Michigan?
In 1981, the state began mandating that each vehicle have a single license plate at all times. Since 1957, drivers were needed to have two plates. In 1982, the state of Michigan issued a license plate with a backdrop that was colored to resemble the color of Lake Superior. This plate was later given the nickname ″Old Blue.″
Can you drive a car without a license plate in Michigan?
The current version of the Vehicle Code in the state of Michigan makes it illegal for any driver on the highway to conceal their license plate.
How much will it cost to register my vehicle in Michigan?
Cost of Registering a Vehicle: Depending on these criteria, the cost of registering a vehicle can range from less than one hundred dollars to several hundred dollars. In addition to the cost of your registration, you could also find that a Use Tax of 6% has been levied and added to the cost of your renewal.